Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-27-2004, 08:18 AM   #1
CarlRylander
Question Hood Grabbing

Suppose you are in a bar, wearing a jacket with a hood on it.
What technique would you use if someone in front of you grabbed it with their right hand and pulled you down and forward with it? Of the top of my head, I would say, move your left arm upwards sharply and break the hold by force, but what if they had a good grip? Is there a nerve point you can press?
Old 10-27-2004, 08:28 AM   #2
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States
Re: Hood Grabbing

I would say relax your shoulders and arms, and let them pull the jacket off of you. Now you have both hand free while they are looking at your empty jacket.

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 10-27-2004, 08:51 AM   #3
JohnWertz
United_States

Quote:
Carl Rylander wrote:
. . . Is there a nerve point you can press?
The groin, but press hard!
Old 10-27-2004, 05:19 PM   #4
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Grab their belt or the top of their pants with your right hand, move your left hand up and across their body so that your hand is sticking up past the left side of their head and then shift forward and to the left while holding their belt stationary. They should bend over backwards. Drop them on your knee.

Sokumen Irimi Nage

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 10-27-2004, 05:32 PM   #5
William Westdyke
Dojo: Aikido at the Center

Well I don't know much about wearing jackets... YUCK... but I don't see how this is really relevant. Someone would have to be VERY strong to pull another down from the front. All the leverage is in the defenders stance. Ignore it and just be thankful he's wasting the use of one arm. Do any technique.

Regards from Tucson Arizona.

"You, not anyone else, is 100% responsible for your own happyness and wellbeing." -- David Robertson
Old 10-27-2004, 07:37 PM   #6
Chris Birke

Heh, I pull peoples dogi down over their head all the time. It's an excellent takedown (or I'd guess) striking setup while standing. You pull, they come forward and lean over (generally trying to grab your hands where you have their collar), and then you molest as you please. It's very easy if you have surprise, the right angle, and a loose collar. Once on the ground its only marginally useful (they pull out). With a hood, though...

My advice would be to focus on trying to stay standing, and to get a view of whats going on before you try anything tricky. Pulling out seems like the best escape.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:20 PM   #7
Janet Rosen

What are you doing lurking in bars with a hood pulled up....
oh never mind (sigh)
janet, a middle aged woman

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 10-27-2004, 08:35 PM   #8
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
What are you doing lurking in bars with a hood pulled up....
oh never mind (sigh)
janet, a middle aged woman
I was thinking the same thing.

Bronson, a not yet middle aged man

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 10-27-2004, 08:46 PM   #9
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Kind makes me think of the whole "baggy" thing, pants saggin' and such. Off the subject, but.....

Ever use a front kick to place your foot on their pants and then ride them down around their ankles? I have and it is a hoot to see the tough boys doing the knees together "pee pee dance" to try to get em back up.
As quoted above, then " molest as you please."
Oh wait, that sounds REALLY off when in this context, "use any technique" will fit better.

Lan

Last edited by Lan Powers : 10-27-2004 at 08:49 PM.

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 10-28-2004, 01:18 AM   #10
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

Stamp on their foot; grab their leg at the knee and pull them off balance; punch or kick their knee; go in the direction they are pulling and they will lose balance and fall to the floor; palm heel under their chin tilting their head back; finger pinch to the skin at the back of their thigh (this will make them go ) ; finger to sternal notch; take your jacket off?....etc. Just improvise.

Go to warmer bars in future.

Iain.

Last edited by Aikidoiain : 10-28-2004 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:20 AM   #11
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido

I believe there were some techniques taught in the old days to samurai for use when someone grabbed their topknot. Perhaps they could be useful when someone grabs your hood? Hmm, hood's a bit looser though than your hair...

Hmm, seems like a real samurai would have just cut off the hand grabbing their hood anyway.

=wl

Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:35 AM   #12
CarlRylander

'Whar are you doing'...

The hood was down, over my back. Grabbing hold of his pants seems a good idea.

I don't lurk. I stride purposefully through life!
Old 10-28-2004, 06:05 AM   #13
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
Chris Birke wrote:
Heh, I pull peoples dogi down over their head all the time. It's an excellent takedown (or I'd guess) striking setup while standing. You pull, they come forward and lean over (generally trying to grab your hands where you have their collar), and then you molest as you please. It's very easy if you have surprise, the right angle, and a loose collar. Once on the ground its only marginally useful (they pull out). With a hood, though...
If you're in a judo frame of mind, you can very easily set up a horribly effective juji jime this way. Lovely.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:29 AM   #14
mj

Sankyo.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:27 AM   #15
bob_stra
Australia

Quote:
Carl Rylander wrote:
Suppose you are in a bar, wearing a jacket with a hood on it.
What technique would you use if someone in front of you grabbed it with their right hand and pulled you down and forward with it? Of the top of my head, I would say, move your left arm upwards sharply and break the hold by force, but what if they had a good grip? Is there a nerve point you can press?
Number one - I don't think the Queer Eye set would let me leave my house with a jacket like that. Not enough zjush and *so* 1994.

(Plus am I the only one who thinks abt the "combat applicability" of their clothing.

Yeah ok - so it's just me. Fine)

Number two -

/bad ninja accent/

*lips move*

You grab the hood,

*lips stop moving*

I break your back! Like I break your friend!

HA HA HA HA HA HA

http://www.users.bigpond.com/JISHIN/...%20jujitsu.gif

Seriously though, I really would go for that little pickup. You've basically set it up by pulling down.

/bad bob_stra. *smack* Not aikido. No cookies!/
Old 10-28-2004, 01:08 PM   #16
jester

United_States

First thing is cover your face. You might be receiving a kneecap to your head.

You can go for a leg take down by grabbing behind their leg and off balancing them to their rear as they are pulling you into them.

If the hood isn't on your head at the time, they will lose a lot of control over you as opposed to your head being in the hood.

If the hood is over your shoulder, then you can practically stand up, which is not the case if it's over your head. If you are able to stand, give then a shomen-ate to their chin as they pull you into them.

I wouldn't try to break their grip at all. As long as they have one hand on you, they are limiting the things they can do to you. Let them hold on tight, and you can even control them.