Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-18-2004, 11:49 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Shoshin Aikido Dojo Slammed by Hurricane Charlie

At 9:40PM Friday August 13 the eye of hurricane Charley slammed into Shoshin Aikido Dojo in Orlando Florida. Winds gusting over 110 miles an hour knocked down dozens of trees, smashed roofs and decimated the grounds around the dojo. Trees crashed onto the roof of the home of Linden Sensei and into the dojo itself. -

I'd like to thank all who have e-mailed and called their concern. We are all okay. Saturday morning Hooker Sensei arrived to help with the clean-up and over the last 4 days we have had as many as a dozen students and friends working to dig us out. Again, we are all okay and we hope to have the dojo dry and secure in a few weeks. We will resume class as soon as possible. -

One interesting note. Despite all the destruction and chaos the shrine to O'Sensei that sits in the center of the garden was not damaged in the slightest. I should however mention that a 50 foot tall tree snapped directly over it and is now currently hanging in the crook above it. As far as the dojo is concerned it will stay there and pay homage to a power greater than ourselves. -

Pictures will be posted to the web site as soon as possible.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:40 PM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Shoshin Aikido Dojo Slammed by Hurricane Charlie

WOW. Sounds like a wild time...glad everyone rode it out safely. Best wishes for getting the dojo back up and running quickly.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-19-2004, 05:10 AM   #3
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
AikiWeb System wrote:
At 9:40PM Friday August 13 the eye of hurricane Charley slammed into Shoshin Aikido Dojo in Orlando Florida. Winds gusting over 110 miles an hour knocked down dozens of trees, smashed roofs and decimated the grounds around the dojo. Trees crashed onto the roof of the home of Linden Sensei and into the dojo itself. -

I'd like to thank all who have e-mailed and called their concern. We are all okay. Saturday morning Hooker Sensei arrived to help with the clean-up and over the last 4 days we have had as many as a dozen students and friends working to dig us out. Again, we are all okay and we hope to have the dojo dry and secure in a few weeks. We will resume class as soon as possible. -

One interesting note. Despite all the destruction and chaos the shrine to O'Sensei that sits in the center of the garden was not damaged in the slightest. I should however mention that a 50 foot tall tree snapped directly over it and is now currently hanging in the crook above it. As far as the dojo is concerned it will stay there and pay homage to a power greater than ourselves. -

Pictures will be posted to the web site as soon as possible.
Regards and warm thoughts to Dan Sensei and all his students. I am so sorry to hear about the damage but am glad that all my friends there are ok. Looking at the maps on the news it was hard to tell which of my Florida friends would have been effected. Hope things get straightened out quickly.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 08-22-2004, 02:54 PM   #4
DGLinden
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido Dojos

Thanks, George.
I spoke with John over in St. Pete and he is good. Dennis Hooker was without power in his dojo for a week, but its back on now. Haven't heard about Sarasota. The eye passed pretty close to the Aiki Shrine in Myakka City, but Patty says they are okay. Sensei left for France right after. The degree of damage for us seems to become more apparent as the days pass. Will probably have a full accounting by next weekend. We have resumed training - wet spots and all.

Daniel G. Linden
Author of ON MASTERING AIKIDO (c) 2004
Founder Shoshin Aikido Dojos
www.shoshindojo.com
Old 08-22-2004, 08:52 PM   #5
Suru
United_States

I remember when Andrew struck over a decade ago here in Miami. Much of the city looked like a war zone. I'm glad you all are teaming up in the clean up process. If I lived a bit closer I'd like to give a hand too.

Linden Sensei, I'm enjoying your book, "On Mastering Aikido." Even though I am but a fourth kyu, I feel that I am learning much about many aspects of Aikido I never knew existed. Oh and thanks for signing it! That's quite a bonus. Unfortunately I am unable to take your advice and "Train Hard!" at the moment due to a medication that fatigues me too much to make it through a vigorous Aikido session. I hope everything gets back to the way it was--or better--soon!

Drew
Old 08-25-2004, 09:59 PM   #6
SHOJI
United_States

I Don't Remember Your Name But I Do Recall That You Welcomed Me To Your Dojo Only 15 Minutes After Meeting Me. Since Then I Have Heard That
Your Habit Of Welcoming All Has Changed. (?)
I Thought That Your Center Was Much Larger Than That...... I Am Sad If That Is So....
Ego Is So Maddening And A Narcotic That, Given Reign, Can Kill The Openess Of "mt. Echo".
Ego Is The Narrowing Of Power And While It "feels Good" It Makes Our Center Smaller And We Are The Victim Of too Many Minds
Will You Be A Warrior Of The Aiki Mind?
No One Will Re Ward You But The Acceptance Of The One You Have Alienated Will Free You And Your Power Will Flow.... I Await Your Tranformation....
"bu Is Love" If You Understand.
Power And Peace Through Training....
Old 08-26-2004, 01:00 AM   #7
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Galen Newman wrote:
I Don't Remember Your Name But I Do Recall That You Welcomed Me To Your Dojo Only 15 Minutes After Meeting Me. Since Then I Have Heard That
I Thought That Your Center Was Much Larger Than That...... I Am Sad If That Is So....
Ego Is So Maddening And A Narcotic That, Given Reign, Can Kill The Openess Of "mt. Echo".
Ego Is The Narrowing Of Power And While It "feels Good" It Makes Our Center Smaller And We Are The Victim Of too Many Minds
No One Will Re Ward You But The Acceptance Of The One You Have Alienated Will Free You And Your Power Will Flow.... I Await Your Tranformation....
Galen,
What the hell are you talking about?

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 08-27-2004, 11:40 AM   #8
DGLinden

Drew, thank you for your kind words. I hope you are able to train again, soon.

Daniel G. Linden
www.shoshindojo.com
Old 08-27-2004, 01:52 PM   #9
DGLinden

Galen, I don't have a clue who you are, might be, are possesed by, or sing the body electric for...
Right now I'm a little busy. Get some perspective. I've discovered that moving 10 ton trees and destroying them with a chain saw and carrying them off are wonderful cures for a depressed mind. Been seeing it all around me.

Life is a beautiful thing. The first sweet breath of the morning when my lovely wife and I broke our way out of the house was a moment I will never forget, nor was seeing my friend walk up through the rubble to offer his help. All of my friends, around the world, offering their support and willing aid; it has been humbling. Thank you all. Thank you, Jun, for providing this fourm.

Daniel G. Linden
www.shoshindojo.com
Old 08-27-2004, 04:52 PM   #10
shihonage
United_States

Quote:
Galen Newman wrote:
...some people got slammed harder than others.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:56 AM   #11
akiy

With hurricane Frances coming into the same area, I can only hope for the best for everyone there. I hope Dan and others I know in the area weather the storm OK. My thoughts are with you all...

Best,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-02-2004, 05:12 PM   #12
DGLinden

It almost seems impossible that two Cat 4 storms could cross the state and mark their X between Shindai and Shoshin Dojos. Its like winning the lottery two weeks in a row - in reverse.

Thanks for your thoughts Jun. Hooker Sensei and I will staring it right in the teeth. Believe it or not, we've seen worse. But this storm is big, really big. I guess we'll pray a lot, too.

Daniel G. Linden
www.shoshindojo.com
Old 09-02-2004, 06:41 PM   #13
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Just a me too here.

We just got hit by the worst Typhoon I've ever been exposed to. Six people died in Kyushu and my work has been hit by a 2 million US bill to fix the roof of the machine I work on.

Dojo is fine, so am I. I live on the top floor of a nine story apartment building - it was like a Taiko drum in there.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido