Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-22-2002, 03:17 PM   #1
Diablo
Dojo: International Aikido Association
Aikido or Aikiki?

I have not been to train at my dojo this month due to financial situations. But one thing that I have been debating is returning to the same Aikido dojo, or trying out another dojo in town that is affiliated with the United States Aikido Federation. Where I trained at was headed by Sensei Bill Sosa who I am sad to say that he passed away recently. He trained under Isao Takahashi, Koichi Tohei, and Rod Kobayashi. My dojo has it's own style, which is an offshoot of Seidokan Aikido. I liked training there very much because of the people and the instruction I receive. I have only been there a few months, and was wondering if it is to early for me to try another style, or should I stay where I'm at?
Tell me if I'm wrong, but if I understand it correctly, the USAF is Aikiki based. Is this way different from Aikido?
I might also mention that this USAF affiliated dojo is $25/month cheaper. Have any of you trained under different Aikido styles, or do you try to stay in the same style.

It's all about connection.
Diablo
Old 07-22-2002, 03:26 PM   #2
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Smile

Hi Diablo,

The USAF is made up as several regions (Eastern, Western, Midwest, Other) within the umbrella organization of the USAF. USAF is headed by Yamada Shihan (also heads Eastern Region). It is Aikikai, straight affiliation with Hombu Dojo in Japan. Yamada Sensei, Kanai Sensei, Tohei Sensei (now deceased), Sugano Sensei, Shibata Sensei and Chiba Sensei (the Shihan of this organization, apologies if I missed anyone) all came from Hombu dojo.

I think the quality of training throughout the USAF is great! I trained under another style for eight years and made the switch (easier to do sooner than later in ones training) and am very glad I did.

You have to find out for yourself what is right for you and which style you find yourself most drawn to. All aikido is good, and I wouldn't recommend switching styles very often. You have to ask yourself why you want to switch; are you unhappy with your training and your teacher? Is it just because it is less expensive?

Hope this helps, even a small amount

Best,

Rachel
Old 07-22-2002, 09:36 PM   #3
guest1234
I wouldn't say 'just because it is less expensive'...I know there are many who sacrifice a lot (both time and money) that is scarce in their lives to train. So....

I don't think it can hurt to check out any other places, who knows, you may enjoy them even more. As we've talked about in other threads, there are pro's and con's to choosing a style that is widely represented or one that is an independent, home-grown variety. Only you can say where you feel most comfortable. If you like the more expensive place, consider discussing your financial situation with your sensei, they are often willing to make arrangements rather than loose a student.
Old 07-23-2002, 12:10 AM   #4
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Quote:
Rachel Massey (rachmass) wrote:
...Tohei Sensei (now deceased)...
Perhaps you should make the distinction that Akira Tohei Shihan (USAF and Founder of MAC) died several years ago, while Koichi Tohei Sensei (Ki Society Founder) is still alive. Because Diablo mentioned Koichi Tohei Sensei, it reads like you're writing about the same person.

Diablo:
Not only did my sensei train with the people you mentioned, but he was also an instructor when Sosa Sensei took his shodan test in the same Chicago dojo.

If your instruction is like I think, there could be a significant difference in the curriculum. Observe a class at the USAF dojo. See how the instructor teaches and notice the similarities and differences in the way you were initially taught.

Look at the students. How far have they progressed compared to the people you know in your other dojo? Can you get along with them? Talk with them and see how they like what they're doing. After all, you'll be spending a lot of time with them if you join their dojo.

Whatever your decision, I hope you continue to train for a very long time.

Last edited by tedehara : 07-28-2002 at 04:34 PM.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 07-23-2002, 02:46 AM   #5
mike lee
Cool this or that?

One thing that I've noticed about people when they have a dilemma is that they often think that they have only two options, when in actuality there are an infinite number of possibilities.

Why not kill two birds (study aikido and make money) with one stone (a trip)?

Sell your stereo, buy a ticket to Tokyo, teach English and sign up for classes at Hombu Dojo, the home of Aikikai.

P.S. One can aquire a student visa by studying at Hombu Dojo.

Last edited by mike lee : 07-23-2002 at 02:53 AM.