Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Allen Beebe
United_States
Hand-to-Handgun Seminar, Aug 6, 2011, Portland OR

Hand-to-Handgun:

Handling, Defending and Disarming a Firearm for the Martial Artist

This course is intended for the martial arts student or instructor seeking a practical understanding of the function and handling of firearms and the specific considerations in dealing with an assailant at close quarters armed with a handgun.

Common misconceptions and inaccuracies pertaining to the use of firearms will be directly addressed, with realistic alternatives presented.
Though contact weapons will be discussed, this is not a course predicated on being armed with a firearm yourself, but rather dealing with a gun when threatened at close contact while either unarmed or without time to access your own weapon.

Topics Covered Will Include:

- Basic Firearms knowledge and nomenclature
- The Four Firearms Safety Rules
- Misconceptions and Reality
- The Decision to Act -- When to Defend and Disarm
- Best Case Defense Options: Defeating the Draw
- Worst Case Defense Options: Defending the Muzzle, "De-Fanging" the Firearm
- Disarming Tactics
- Gunshot Wound Survival: Mental and Physical Aspects and Immediate Self Aid

Traditional and modern jujutsuka, Judoka, Aikidoka, combatives, and reality-based defense students in particular will benefit from this course.

Date: August 6th 2011

Time: 10am - 5pm

Ecole de Budo - USA
7506 N Chicago Avenue
Portland, Oregon, 97203

www.SchoolofBudo.com

Mike Selin

Tel - 503-705-5275

michael@ecoledebudo.com

Cost: $100.

Attire:

Street clothes -- pants with belt (that will hold a training weapon in the waistband), t-shirt and/or sweatshirt, and wrestling shoes (if owned). No street shoes will be allowed on the mats.
A pair of light work gloves or "tactical" gloves, Mechanix or similar make without a padded palm, are advisable.

SAFETY NOTES:

Some Live Firearms Will Be Used in This Training. They will be cleared of all ammunition. Bring your own gun if you would like to have a better knowledge of its function and feel.

WEAPONS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED IN THE DOJO WITHOUT INSPECTION. NO AMMUNITION OF ANY KIND WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE BUILDING DURING TRAINING.

YOU WILL BE BODILY SEARCHED REPEATEDLY DURING THIS TRAINING. IF YOU HAVE PERSONAL ISSUES WITH THAT, DO NOT ATTEND.

About the Instructor:

Christopher "Kit" Leblanc has spent more than two decades in the martial arts, with a black belt in Kodokan Judo, a blue belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and training in other arts including MMA, classical Japanese weapons and grappling traditions, and traditional Chinese arts. He also holds multiple instructor certifications in modern close combat, police force tactics and related training systems.
With more than fourteen years law enforcement experience including more than eight years on a tactical team, and as a gunshot wound survivor himself, he offers a penetrating martial and tactical perspective on the human dynamics of training for a firearm assault.

~ Allen Beebe
Old 06-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States
Re: Hand-to-Handgun Seminar, Aug 6, 2011, Portland OR

Could you please provide more details on who will be doing the repeated body searches? Age, gender, and photo would be helpful.

Thanks,
...rab
Old 06-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Allen Beebe
United_States

Hi Rab,

Short answer: I don't know.

Chris asked me to make the post because he isn't registered on Aikiweb. Both Chris (the instructor) and Mike (the contact person and Ecole de Budo head guy) are fine teachers and well known and respected in the area. They were the "opening act" of the Budo Benefit for Disaster Relief we had in the Portland Metro area here recently and did a great job.

I assume that Chris will be one of the guys searching since . . . that is what he is trained to do professionally. He is in his early forties, male, and dashingly good looking.

If I hear a more specific answer to your query, I'll post it here. On the other hand, there is a contact e-mail and dojo link. I'm sure that they can answer questions there as well.

BTW, I will be flying back from my annual teaching trip in Europe on that day. So am very disappointed to say that I'll not be attending.

Thanks,
Allen

~ Allen Beebe
Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

I would love to go to this Seminar. I wish I were a bit closer, or had more traveling time!