Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-13-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
Mike Haftel
Japan
Going to Japan for a Year

Yay!

Got accepted into the JET Program. Basically, I'm teaching English in Japan. Don't know what grade level yet and don't know what town/city/provence either. But, I can't wait!

Anybody have any similar experience?
Old 05-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
Karol Kowalczyk

Poland
Re: Going to Japan for a Year

Well, depends how 'similar'... I have been teaching English in poland for 10 years. Didn't plan to stay too long, but you know... life caught up with me, now I have a wife, child, car, flat, mortage, and I can also do Aikido! How good does life get!!??

If you need any good recommendations about the kind of teaching materials would be good (beyond just using a textbook), i have a lot of experience with different skill areas (reading, writing, speaking, listening, not so much grammar) and also age groups, from 7 years old to adults. If you need some help, just ask.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Karol Kowalczyk

Poland

Ok, it sometimes doesn't get that good, i just remembered i have a mother-in-law too
Old 05-14-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
Carl Thompson

Japan

Congratulations from a fellow JET.

Which group will you arrive with? If you come in the August group, I'll be helping with your orientation in Tokyo. Fancy going to the hombu? You'll be jetlagged as hell though…

You've chosen a good way to experience Japan. I used to be a TESOL advisor - I advised people on Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and also helped them work out where to go and how to do it. In the case of people wanting to go to Japan, I always said try out for the JET programme, since it offers a pretty good deal. I've taught English in Japan and Australia before and I took my own advice last year and came back to Japan with the JET programme.

Your role could be anything from human tape-player through to main teacher. It will depend on you and your Japanese teachers of English, your level and how many schools you're at. In my experience, there is very little actual team teaching - it works out one or the other (JTE or ALT as main teacher). You'll get lots of advice when you arrive though. I hope you get plenty of opportunity to do aikido. I've got too many schools here, but a sweet location for aikido (I train at the founder's dojo in Iwama! Come along if you're nearby!).

Here's hoping you get one of the better schedules.

For now, here's a link to an online database of team-teaching lesson plans that might come in handy.

http://natto.ibarakijets.org/

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu

Carl
Old 05-21-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
Kim S.
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai (Summer)/ Aikido Club at Unversity of Florida (Academic year)
United_States

Congratulations. Here is a list of websites my Japanese tutor gave me.
I have not looked through them, but these websites might help improve your Japanese a little bit.

Genki elementary Japanese textbook
http://www.genki-online.com/kyozai/g2gahoh.html

Flashcard for 500 commonly used kanji
http://www.nuthatch.com/java/kanjicards/

Online Kanji test and other materials
http://www.genki-online.com/js/indew.html

As far as I know, Genki is one of the best resources for learning Japanese for English speakers. I hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
Jamie_Macc
Dojo: Macclesfield/Genbukan
United Kingdom

I am going to Japan training in my gap year between collage and University!

Has anyone trained in Japan (Hombu) or any other dojo?

Could u please tell me what its like because i really would like to know??

Jamie