Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
rukia
Philippines
Numbness in the arms...

Anyone had experience numbness in the arms while practicin?
Just suddenly I felt restless ..and i couldnt slowly move much my arms and hands...like i thought im going to be paralyzed...guess I was panicking...when i shouldnt...it was bit scary... =(

But thanks to my sensei and friends who managed to help around by pressing my hands and making me rest for a while...to somehow let the blood flow back into my arms. It was a first time experience on the mat...
It was a quite a very warm day though..maybe I was dehydrated or ...what you think triggered or caused it? Some nerve might have stretched? Or something?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
=)

"If you have not linked yourself to true emptiness...you will never understand The Art of Peace." - O Sensei
Old 09-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Numbness in the arms...

Quote:
Josephine Sicad wrote:
Just suddenly I felt restless ..and i couldnt slowly move much my arms and hands...like i thought im going to be paralyzed...guess I was panicking...when i shouldnt...it was bit scary... =(

But thanks to my sensei and friends who managed to help around by pressing my hands and making me rest for a while...to somehow let the blood flow back into my arms. It was a first time experience on the mat...
It was a quite a very warm day though..maybe I was dehydrated or ...what you think triggered or caused it? Some nerve might have stretched? Or something?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
=)
I would get to a chiropractor and get adjusted. Nerve problems are most ofetn associated with some alignment issue in the back. If the problem recurrs,get to a Dr. and get some tests. they can do a nerve conductivity testr that will tell them which nerves are affected and help them locate the problem.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 09-11-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.

See a Doctor.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 09-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Another possibility is electrolyte imbalance. Hypokalemia (low potassium) can cause numbness and weakness of the major muscle groups.
Have some bananas and / or oranges handy to boost your potassium. Or one of those sports drinks.
Kung madalas itong mangyari, magpatingin kayo sa doktor.
Ingat!

Cito
Old 09-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Your problem can be vascular or neurological. How old are you? Numbness is a sign something is being compressed. Possibilities: arthritis, joint dysfunction, thoracic outlet syndrome, edema, biomechanical problems, spinal stenosis, circulatory problems (blocked or narrowed artery), early signs of more serious problems. Get it checked out.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
rukia
Philippines

Hmmm..i don't really find it very serious...hope it's not leading to something big.... I'm still 26.. no history of anything you've mentioned so far... i'l closely agree to electrolyte imbalance though...as Iv mentioned it was pretty warm day ... Hmmmm

Thanks for the ideas so far. =)

"If you have not linked yourself to true emptiness...you will never understand The Art of Peace." - O Sensei
Old 09-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States

Quote:
Josephine Sicad wrote:
Please at least get this looked at. As others have mentioned, it could be symptomatic of something more serious. Talking over what happened and what you were doing at the time with a doctor is really the only way to know if it's anything to worry about.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #8
CitoMaramba

Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Philippines

Josephine, I have to second the others. Numbness and paralysis is pretty serious. I'm no longer with Philippine General Hospital, but the Ortho Department there has a free sports medicine clinic every Tuesday at 2 PM. You can try consulting there.
Ingat uli!

Cito
Old 09-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
rukia
Philippines

Quote:
Cito Maramba wrote:
Josephine, I have to second the others. Numbness and paralysis is pretty serious. I'm no longer with Philippine General Hospital, but the Ortho Department there has a free sports medicine clinic every Tuesday at 2 PM. You can try consulting there.
Ingat uli!

Cito

Hi Cito, Im from CEBU, but okay, I will find time to consult a doctor. Thanks for all the concern.

Im all better after few minutes on the incident and went back to practicing again actually. =)

Old 09-11-2006, 03:59 PM   #10
Mike Grant
United Kingdom

Could be hyperventilation-in fact that's what I'm betting on and especially if it went away after you stopped training. Next time it happens, try breathing into a paper bag for a couple of minutes.

See the doctor just to be sure, but don't worry too much. I think you'll be OK.

Last edited by Mike Grant : 09-11-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:35 PM   #11
rukia
Philippines
Talking Re: Numbness in the arms...

Quote:
Cito Maramba wrote:
Another possibility is electrolyte imbalance. Hypokalemia (low potassium) can cause numbness and weakness of the major muscle groups.
Have some bananas and / or oranges handy to boost your potassium. Or one of those sports drinks.
Kung madalas itong mangyari, magpatingin kayo sa doktor.
Ingat!

Cito

Hi again Cito,

It so happen we just had our annual physical exam...I consulted the doctor and she did confirmed likelihood that it was related to symptoms of Hypokalemia. Thanks for the information.
I will increase my intake of potassium and supplement electrolytes in my body as necessary to avoid it from happening again.

Whew....can't imagine again it might stop me from practicing.

Last edited by rukia : 09-11-2006 at 09:38 PM.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:40 PM   #12
rukia
Philippines

Quote:
Mike Grant wrote:
Could be hyperventilation-in fact that's what I'm betting on and especially if it went away after you stopped training. Next time it happens, try breathing into a paper bag for a couple of minutes.

See the doctor just to be sure, but don't worry too much. I think you'll be OK.

Appreciate the positive concern, Mike.
Thanks everyone!

Old 09-12-2006, 06:55 AM   #13
Carol Shifflett
United_States

Quote:
Josephine Sicad wrote:
I consulted the doctor and she did confirmed likelihood that it was related to symptoms of Hypokalemia.
There is no rule that says you that only one thing can be wrong, but consider that Major Muscle Groups impacted by low potassium are not going to be limited to the arms only. Likely something else is going on as well.

Any neck-a-nage's lately? What you report has all the earmarks of brachial plexus problems. Yes! Have a chiropractor or osteopath check for vertebral misalignments that mess with the nerve roots AND for tight scalene muscles that entrap the neurovascular structures as they leave the neck/shoulder area. Few MDs can do that.

If you have any symptoms of carpal tunnel or thoracic outlet syndrome you can often trace them back to someone having been careless with your neck. There's an illustration of the typical scalene pain patterns at: http://round-earth.com/HeadPainIntro.html -- see Item no. 22. The red indicates pain or tingling. If the problem is indeed due to scalenes, the pain may come and go depending on how tense or relaxed and stretched out the muscles may be at the moment.

Cheers!
Carol Shifflett
Old 09-12-2006, 06:57 AM   #14
Carol Shifflett
United_States

Quote:
Carol Shifflett wrote:
There's an illustration of the typical scalene pain patterns at: http://round-earth.com/HeadPainIntro.html -- see Item no. 22.
Correction! It's No. 3.
Apologies!
Carol Shifflett
Old 09-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #15
Mike Grant
United Kingdom

Might even be multiple sclerosis, or worse...

But on the other hand; no previous history, first time on the mat, 'panicking' (not my words), no specific injury at the time and the symptoms resolved spontaneously after a short period of rest and reassurance.

I wouldn't get too carried away unless it becomes a recurring problem.

But then again I am a Brit and we only spend 6% of our GDP on healthcare.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:39 PM   #16
Avery Jenkins

Dojo: Litchfield Hills Aikikai

Might also just be some myofascitis going on. I see a lot of bilateral upper extremity numbness that turns out to be just that.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #17
rukia
Philippines

Quote:
Carol Shifflett wrote:
There is no rule that says you that only one thing can be wrong, but consider that Major Muscle Groups impacted by low potassium are not going to be limited to the arms only. Likely something else is going on as well.

Any neck-a-nage's lately? What you report has all the earmarks of brachial plexus problems. Yes! Have a chiropractor or osteopath check for vertebral misalignments that mess with the nerve roots AND for tight scalene muscles that entrap the neurovascular structures as they leave the neck/shoulder area. Few MDs can do that.

If you have any symptoms of carpal tunnel or thoracic outlet syndrome you can often trace them back to someone having been careless with your neck. There's an illustration of the typical scalene pain patterns at: http://round-earth.com/HeadPainIntro.html -- see Item no. 22. The red indicates pain or tingling. If the problem is indeed due to scalenes, the pain may come and go depending on how tense or relaxed and stretched out the muscles may be at the moment.

Cheers!
Carol Shifflett

Hmmm ,..its scaring me a bit guys. But if it re-occurs, i'l consider those other options mentioned above. But for now, I'm pretty confident I was likely super dehydrated that time it happened. =)
I will be more careful and prepared next time!

Thanks for all the ideas.

Appreciate it everyone!