Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-26-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
Dom_Shodan
Dojo: Renbu Dojo / Melbourne
Australia
The importance of Spirit.

Hi all, my name is Dom. Im posting this thread to determine how many aikido practitioners believe that developing the spiritual aspect and understanding the philosophy of Aikido, is just as important as developing the physical skill. I see a great deal of Aikido Schools focusing on mechanical advantage and force. Whilst my dojo nurtures both physical and spiritual, since receiving my black belt, I have made it a personal study to understand the spiritual aspect and philosophy as it is a big part of training. Without the spirit behind your technique, you will never reach the full potential of your Aikido. I would appreciate your thoughts everyone!
Old 06-27-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
shadowhyrst
Re: The importance of Spirit.

I'm a practioner of the mind--that is, the philosophical side of the art, more than the physical since I am somewhat handicapped, therefore my interest and focus is more the spiritual/philosophical side.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
dps

Quote:
Richard Griffiths wrote:
I'm a practioner of the mind--that is, the philosophical side of the art, more than the physical since I am somewhat handicapped, therefore my interest and focus is more the spiritual/philosophical side.
Can you use the memories of past physical activities to study the psychological and spiritual parts of Aikido?

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
Aiki LV
Dojo: VEGAS VALLEY AIKIDO
United_States

Hello,
Everyone has different reasons for practicing aikido. In the beginning many people focus strictly on technique. Eventually as you become more experienced you learn that there is more to the art than just technique. I personally believe that you limit yourself when you only practice physical technique. Aikido is meant to develop a person physically and spiritually. Each aspect develops the other. As far as I'm concerned you have to gain knowledge of both to really be practicing aikido. If you have no spirit and just focus on the physical aspects your movement will be empty. You can only get so skilled at technique, then what? In order to grow as an aikidoka both aspects are necessary or as far as I'm concerned you cannot achieve your full potential. For that matter, I don't even think you can have an understanding of the art itself without both. These are my thoughts on the subject hopefully I'm on the right track. I'm sure those who disagree will set me straight.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Richard Griffiths wrote:
Don't give up just because of that -- I have myself taught some useful aikido to a student who was a recent double leg amputee and had not yet gained great proficiency with prosthetics. It amazed me how much he could potentially still do when I got over my mental block and started adapting techniques to the fact that he was basically in permanent suwari.

There is a lady in California (Molly Hale, I think) that took her Sandan test in a wheelchair.

Cordially,
Erick Mead
Old 06-28-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Richard Griffiths wrote:
Don't give up just because of that -- I have myself taught some useful aikido to a student who was a recent double leg amputee and had not yet gained great proficiency with prosthetics. It amazed me how much he could potentially still do when I got over my mental block and started adapting techniques to the fact that he was basically in permanent suwari.

There is a lady in California (Molly Hale, I think) that took her Sandan test in a wheelchair.

Cordially,
Erick Mead
Old 07-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #7
dps

Quote:
Richard Griffiths wrote:
Aikido is only one Way. There are many Ways that does not require as much physical ability as Aikido. Without knowing your restrictions, two of the Japanese Ways that come to mind are calligraphy (Shodo) and painting.
My feeling is that any of these Ways have the same principle of body, mind, spirit connection that would fit with your study of Aikido.
I hope this is a help.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:03 AM   #8
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia

There are good articles in the Aikido Journal that discuss this.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article...ighlight=inaba

The above link is an interview with Inaba-sensei. It's lengthy, but it does give me a bit of insight.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/