Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-10-2003, 12:27 PM   #1
Danipenn
Dojo: Aikiken ry
Smile Hello I'm new.

How's going?
I'm Daniele and I'm been practicing Aikido for 6 or so Months now and I can tell that I really like it. I'm planning to make it a constant in my life.
For the moment I'm just a 5 Kyu anyway just thought of presenting myself in this thread, I'll be around now and then since I think this forum is quite interesting.
I'm in a dojo in Finland even though I'm Italian, long story
In my list of techniques to practice for my next graduation I found that many terms are nowhere to be found in any Aikido language section I came across in my searching.
For example "Uchikaiten"...I know i found uchi but what about kaiten? And this is only one.
Take care

**Danipenn**
Old 04-10-2003, 12:35 PM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Hi Daniele,

Welcome to aikido and to AikiWeb.

Kaiten refers to something turning. I've seen it variously translated as "rotary", "wheel" and "pivot".

Is the technique that you're required to know Uchi Kaiten Nage? That would be a kaiten nage ("Rotary/wheel throw") where you enter/turn inside/under uke's arm. In Soto Kaiten Nage you enter/turn outside/beyond uke's arm.

Hope That Helps!

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 04-10-2003, 12:45 PM   #3
William Boyd
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
Welcome Daliele,

I've been training in Aikido for about 2 years and have the rank of 4th kyu and love my time at the dojo. anyway have you asked your sensei what the terms mean. Hope you do good on your next test.

Bill.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:54 PM   #4
Danipenn
Hello guys.

Yes Greg you'll been really helpful, now I figured it out and...I know William that I can ask all this questions at the dojo stupid me.

The next graduation should be in another 5 Months at least.

I'll usually practice 4 times a week (I'd like to do more but then I'll be REALLY dead) and every Wednesday I practice Toho with the bokken which is really interesting.

See ya.

**Danipenn**
Old 04-10-2003, 01:01 PM   #5
Greg Jennings
United_States
Quote:
Daniele Pennese (Danipenn) wrote:
Hello guys.

Yes Greg you'll been really helpful, now I figured it out and...I know William that I can ask all this questions at the dojo stupid me.

The next graduation should be in another 5 Months at least.

I'll usually practice 4 times a week (I'd like to do more but then I'll be REALLY dead) and every Wednesday I practice Toho with the bokken which is really interesting.

See ya.
Hi Daniele,

I'm glad that it got you on the right track.

My dojo has a dedicated weapons class where we practice the Iwama weapons curriculum. It's much fun.

I'd like to try the Nishio Aiki-Toho sometime, but there is no opportunity here.

Stay in touch and let us know how your training progresses!

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 04-10-2003, 01:09 PM   #6
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States
Welcome, Daniele! I've also been training in Aikido for 6 months (today is my 6 month anniversary, woo hoo!). I'll be testing for 5th kyu very soon; sensei hasn't posted the date yet. I'm assuming sometime in May.

Welcome to Aikiweb!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 04-10-2003, 02:38 PM   #7
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Hello Daniele,

enjoy and train

Enjoy beautiful Jyväskylä

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 04-10-2003, 03:40 PM   #8
akiy

Hi Daniele,

Welcome to the AikiWeb Forums! Thank you for your introduction. I hope you will feel welcome to join in the discussions here.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-11-2003, 01:09 AM   #9
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
Hi Daniele,

I'd like to try the Nishio Aiki-Toho sometime, but there is no opportunity here.
Well Greg! just get on a plane and be here on monday morning. I'll pick you up in the airport and drive you to the Arisue seminar in Odense. You would have plenty of aiki-toho, 'Nishio-style' ken-tai-ken and ken-tai-jo and of course plain ol' aikido including to-sabaki and jo-sabaki.

If you want to know more go to www.aikikai.dk or drop me a mail.

Daniele: I hope you are concidering to come too - I know we usualy have a bit of Finish people at the seminars, and we hope to have again this year.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 04-11-2003, 05:15 AM   #10
Greg Jennings
United_States
Quote:
Jørgen Jakob Friis (JJF) wrote:
Well Greg! just get on a plane and be here on monday morning. I'll pick you up in the airport and drive you to the Arisue seminar in Odense. You would have plenty of aiki-toho, 'Nishio-style' ken-tai-ken and ken-tai-jo and of course plain ol' aikido including to-sabaki and jo-sabaki.

If you want to know more go to www.aikikai.dk or drop me a mail.

Daniele: I hope you are concidering to come too - I know we usualy have a bit of Finish people at the seminars, and we hope to have again this year.
Thank you for the offer. Another time, I'll take you up on it. I have to be up in the Rockies on business all next week.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 04-11-2003, 06:27 AM   #11
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Just drop me a mail - and perhaps schedule a seminar during easter next year in advance. The aikido is allmost as good as in Japan and the prices are just a wee bit higher so it's definately worth it.....

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 04-11-2003, 09:31 AM   #12
Danipenn
Quote:
Jørgen Jakob Friis (JJF) wrote:
Thanks for the offer Jorgen but can't move at the moment, I'll definitely let you know though. By the way I live in Finland but I'm Italian

Thanks everybody for your warm welcome

Yes Toho seems really interesting even though my level at the moment can't really tell me much about it.

Karen good luck for your imminent graduation.

**Danipenn**
Old 04-11-2003, 12:02 PM   #13
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States
Thanks, Daniele! That is, if I pass the test! I'm terrified!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda