Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-25-2004, 12:04 AM   #1
Joezer M.

Lab rats

I was just wondering, are there any other aikidokas here who have the honor of being their dojo's un-official lab rat?

You know, like when practicing koshi nage and suddenly you have a large group of black- and brown-belts standing in line in front of you with evil grins on their faces ; or when you're always uke when sensei is trying to convince new or prospective students that aikido does work on big guys; or when discussing a new technique or a variation of a technique your sempais usually call you and start to experiment with the various (usually painful) possibilities ...

Any other people like me?

Regards,
Joezer
Old 05-25-2004, 12:09 AM   #2
Chris Birke
Re: Lab rats

I attend a beginner class sometimes and I always get called up instead of the regular assistence when he has to demonstrate anything involving hitting uke in the head.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:21 AM   #3
Eriksen
Denmark

Whenever sensei is demonstrating/exploring various painful or uncomfortable techniques on one of my 'classmates', I always make sure to ask him to show the technique just a few times more!

Of course, I know full well that it will be my own turn shortly thereafter, anyway...
Old 05-25-2004, 12:56 AM   #4
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States

Yeah...everytime sensei wants to demonstrate how aikido works against a solid karate style punch or a muay thai kick
Old 05-25-2004, 01:26 AM   #5
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

I have one in my junior class Whilst I always use the kids as uke's when demonstrating techniques, my "assistant" (one of the dad's from the seniors who happens to have two sons in the juniors), a very large chap, much bigger and stronger than me, is often called upon as a secondary uke by me

There's a few of us in the seniors, depending on what is being taught and who is teaching. Different bodies for different effects.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 05-25-2004, 01:47 AM   #6
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

It's fairly common for teachers to have their favourite ukes, and can be a distinct bonus (along with some occasionally more painful sides).

Apart from anything else, you get to learn direct from the source (in that class) - enjoy it and learn what you can!
Old 05-26-2004, 12:06 AM   #7
Joezer M.

Yes, I agree, most teachers have favourite ukes... but I was refering to favourite experiment subjects. You know, like when your sensei/sempai have just recently watched an aikido vcd, or they just bought a new aikido book, and found a technique he/she likes... and before they demonstrate it to the class using their favourite uke... they test it first on their favourite 'lab rat' , to make sure that it's safe...

And, yes, it's fun... I get to learn a lot... but now and then, like in a normal lab, accidents happen, and the lab rats barely survive

Regards,
Joezer
Old 05-26-2004, 10:39 AM   #8
Jordan Steele

I am young, agile, athletic, springy, and have a high tolerance for pain. Everybody wants a piece of me. It's okay though, taking ukemi is fun. Sensei does frequently use me for his new techniques and also when he just wants to beat the snot out of someone.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:48 AM   #9
Michael Neal

Quote:
I was just wondering, are there any other aikidokas here who have the honor of being their dojo's un-official lab rat?

You know, like when practicing koshi nage and suddenly you have a large group of black- and brown-belts standing in line in front of you with evil grins on their faces
Go take some Judo classes then you will be the person with the evin grin on your face when it is time for koshinage