Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
future sandwich
Australia
Uchideshi in Iwama

Hi everyone, I picked up Aikido about a year ago and was immediately smitten. I learned of the uchi deshi lifestyle months ago and for some reason have recently been hit by a really powerful urge to go do it in Iwama for perhaps three months or so. The lifestyle of focus I suppose is very attractive, and the people at the Iwama dojos I have visited thus far have universally impressed me with their earnest dedication to practice. What I'm not sure about is how long I should have been practicing before I try to go.

I've been practicing in the US and Australia whenever I could for a little over a year now, sometimes twice a month, sometimes three or four times a week depending on allowances of travel. I've only tested US Aikikai 5th kyu but with the range of dojos and seminars I have attended have I think at least been exposed to a decent taijutsu curriculum (and wow does that vary when you travel a bit!), some suwari waza, suburi and the 31 kata. My sensei in the US gave a great deal of attention to ukemi which I have found at seminars to have given me the confidence to participate at a good pace and I am comfortable with my personal safety on the mat.

So I would like to know from anyone who has visited Iwama what the expectation is there for the level of training of uchideshi. I hear that experience with Iwama style Aikido is not necessary but I also don't know of anyone who has done this before 1st kyu. I hope I don't have to wait that long!

Thanks,
Justin
Old 09-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Carl Thompson

Japan
Re: Uchideshi in Iwama

Hello Justin

I was based at the Ibaraki Shibu Dojo (the "Iwama Dojo" and Aiki-Shrine) for a while and I still go back to train there regularly. It is still part of the Aikikai and run by acting dojocho Isoyama Shihan. No problem with kyu grades or even absolute beginners in my experience. Check out the website for details. Inagaki Shihan usually handles admissions.

I never trained at Saito Hitohiro's dojo but I know a few people who do. It's maybe another five minutes further out from the station (although the accommodation is actually right next to the Iwama Dojo and Aiki Shrine). Entry details are on their website.

You might also want to look into Nemoto Sensei's "Aiki-house".

Good luck

Carl
Old 09-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
future sandwich
Australia
Re: Uchideshi in Iwama

Thanks very much Carl that's great to hear. I'll look into the programs and try to feel my way around what they offer. I have to imagine the Ibaraki Shibu Dojo and sensei Saito Hirohito's dojos offer different experiences and I wonder if anyone would like to share their experiences from time at either.