Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden
H. Saito does 31 count kata.

From 12 and on in highspeed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4cfxblKj-A
Old 09-01-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
PhilMyKi
Dojo: Seibukan, Milton Keynes
United Kingdom
Re: H. Saito does 31 count kata.

I don't now if it is the same one I have seen, but it looks like he started it from the first move. Many more god clips on that site as well and the comments people come out with are laughable.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

He does the entire kata if that's what you mean, but kind of kicks up the tempo a bit from 12 and on. Impressive speed without sloppiness.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
Apoy
Australia

Mate that is brilliant. It seems shorter at first, then after seeing it again and again all 31 moves are there. How smooth and graceful does H sensei do it.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:33 PM   #5
Astig Kamao

I personally think that Saito Jr should leave the 31 jo kata movement alone. Dont change it. It is a legacy from Osensei. Even Saito Sr did not do it. A bit of respect and modesty on tradition would be more aiki.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
Apoy
Australia

Hmmm...even though you have a point there Michael watch what you say. Because in that video Hitohiro sensei did all of the moves. All 31 of them. Because it was so fluent, graceful, and fast...to an untrained eye it looks different.

Hitohiro Sensei has done more aikido hours than you and I and probably everyone in this thread put together. He learned from Osensei himself and his legendary father. He grew up and trained a lot with the current doshu as well. So he is pretty up there in terms of experience, wisdom, and knowledge. I think he is in a point of his aikido life where he's got lots of energy and he wants to bring Iwama aikido back as in waaaayyy back to old Osensei aikido days.

Last edited by Apoy : 09-04-2006 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #7
Len
Dojo: Takemusu Aiki Association of Australia
Australia

Quote:
Michael Siminig wrote:
I personally think that Saito Jr should leave the 31 jo kata movement alone. Dont change it. It is a legacy from Osensei. Even Saito Sr did not do it. A bit of respect and modesty on tradition would be more aiki.
I didn't see anything different. The tempo changes several times, but the moves are still the same as always. BTW, it really looked a bit like video playback speed trick, rather than his own speed. I have seen him do the kata 'in the flesh' and he kept the same speed all the way through.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #8
dunk
United Kingdom

Quote:
Len Shenfield wrote:
I didn't see anything different. The tempo changes several times, but the moves are still the same as always. BTW, it really looked a bit like video playback speed trick, rather than his own speed. I have seen him do the kata 'in the flesh' and he kept the same speed all the way through.
I think to appreciate the speed and changes in speed you need to see these jo katas with their attacks and attackers...from my experience that is the best way to put ma-ai and emphasis where you need to.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
Len
Dojo: Takemusu Aiki Association of Australia
Australia

Quote:
Duncan Goodall wrote:
I think to appreciate the speed and changes in speed you need to see these jo katas with their attacks and attackers...from my experience that is the best way to put ma-ai and emphasis where you need to.
I fully agree. But the footage in question was the kata itself, not the partner practice.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:12 AM   #10
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

I do not know if this helps, but I believe I saw that clip from the Aikido chapter of "Deadly Arts"
< http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...cat=418&page=1 >
If I remember correctly, the context of that clip was during class Saito Sensei asked all the students to stop and watch for a moment (which explains why everyone does just that); perhaps he was trying to impress upon them the fluidity one should strive for.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #11
roninroshi

United_States

Saito Sensei's son,watched this on the tube,she is traveling w/Yamada Sensei...
(Savate began in Marsilles rather than Paris among the thug's and dock worker's)...a small statement in regard's to the blurb concerning the DVD on this website...

Last edited by roninroshi : 09-11-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #12
roninroshi

United_States
Square Re: H. Saito does 31 count kata.

Look's much like Tohei's 21+10...
Old 09-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #13
roninroshi

United_States

Saito Sensei Sr...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj4FPZOR21E
Old 09-12-2006, 07:00 AM   #14
Nick P.

I admit to being a little shocked when, in her own words, Mme Normandeau presented herself to Saito Sensei's dojo and asked to become uchi-deshi without any prior arrangements, with her travelling companion AND the film crew in tow. Other than that I enjoyed the series, though obviously at some points it was either a little sugary or heavy-handed (that's what helps sell these productions I guess).

Old 09-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #15
NagaBaba

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote:
I admit to being a little shocked when, in her own words, Mme Normandeau presented herself to Saito Sensei's dojo and asked to become uchi-deshi without any prior arrangements, with her travelling companion AND the film crew in tow. Other than that I enjoyed the series, though obviously at some points it was either a little sugary or heavy-handed (that's what helps sell these productions I guess).
She doesn't practice aikido presently.I think this request was only for movie purposes.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 09-13-2006, 05:44 AM   #16
Nick P.

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
She doesn't practice aikido presently.I think this request was only for movie purposes.
Ah! Thank you for clearing that up.
Was I correct in assuming she trained at Aikido de la Montagne here in Montreal? Not that it really matters either way, I was just curious....

Old 09-13-2006, 06:18 AM   #17
NagaBaba

Quote:
Nick Pittson wrote:
Ah! Thank you for clearing that up.
Was I correct in assuming she trained at Aikido de la Montagne here in Montreal? Not that it really matters either way, I was just curious....
nooo, she came only once when Yamada sensei instructed seminar.She is not a member of this dojo.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 09-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #18
KarateCowboy
United_States

Those were some funky kiai's.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:36 AM   #19
Ed Shockley
Dojo: aikikai of Philadelphia
United_States

I have been taught that Aikido is not a "kata system." It is a concept that informs all of our martial movements and even our interactions in life. As such, we use aiki weapons kata as a tool to develop and explore important facets of movement, balance, ki contact etc. We honor our teachers by learning the great forms such as Saito Shihan's published 31, 13, etc. but I have never read any statements from the Aikido greats suggesting that these movements are sacred or sacrosanct. Whenever I encounter variations in famous katas I ask three simple questions. "Is it performed well?" "Does it explore a worthwhile movement or concept?" "Is the movement martially sound?"