Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-18-2002, 06:05 AM   #1
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 19f8a452
Anonymous User
Freaky! Hard Floor

I wondered how many people practice without tatami.

We're lucky enough that our Sensei is an Aikikai Shihan and one of our classes is held on bare floor.

Do you think this hinders or helps?

I've found sometimes that I find I have radically improved when I'm back on the mat but while on the hard floor I'm feel too concerned that I'll hurt Uke by dumping them on their back that it effects my concentration on the technique despite my confidence in their ukemi.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:58 AM   #2
Ta Kung
How about breakfalls on concrete? That would look cool...
Old 10-18-2002, 08:26 AM   #3
Nacho_mx
Dojo: Federación Mexicana de Aikido
Aikido on a hard floor...? I pass thank you.
Old 10-18-2002, 10:02 AM   #4
akiy

This thread has been moved from the Anonymous forum to the Training forum.

Please do not use the Anonymous forum to merely post topics without registering and/or logging in; the Anonymous forum is intended for "delicate" subject matters for which people want to keep their identities from being revealed. I encourage people to keep this in mind before posting on the Anonymous forum as that purpose is not what that forum was created for.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-18-2002, 02:50 PM   #5
stoker
Dojo: Dallas Judo & Jiu Jitsu
We practive in a dojo that is 85% Judo -- green matts with red matts ringing the 'action area'. The red matts are stiffer than the green from having bodies pounded into them and the green matts in the action are softer than the few green matts used outside the action area. funny how we seek the softer matts :-)

dave stokes
Old 10-21-2002, 02:38 AM   #6
Steve Bland
Dojo: Milton Keynes Sei-Shin
I was under the impression that we trained on (comparatively) soft mats for one main reason : To prevent injury.

Im a relative beginner at Aikido, and despite the fact my breakfalls are improving (slowly) I still take a bad tumble once or twice a session.

If that was on a hard surface instead of a mat im sure I would have more than a couple of twinges! Training on a solid floor I would place somewhere in the masochism category...
Old 10-21-2002, 08:59 AM   #7
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
I've done plenty of rolls on hard floors. They're not so awful and they get better with practice. I'm not sure I'd want to train that way non-stop and I think that as I get older it gets less fun but I'm not old enough yet to be sure.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 10-27-2005, 09:28 AM   #8
Steve Mullen
Dojo: White Rose (Sunderland)
England
Re: Hard Floor

I usually train on matted floors, however, at the university class where i began my training (and still train) the matts were or a very poor standard so it was pure pot luck wheather you landed in a bed of feathers or on a slab of granite. I was at a major course and the number of people who turned up on the day far exceeded the amount they expected to have. this means very limited mat space so the event organisers rolled out the stuff which kind of resembled a padded (or should i say slighlty padded) carpet. this made for a slightly softer landing but some very impressive friction burns

"No matter your pretence, you are what you are and nothing more." - Kenshiro Abbe Shihan
Old 10-27-2005, 09:54 AM   #9
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Maybe once in a while it helps to bring some realism, but I wouldn't think it was good for training. Last week I was teaching a hip throw (from a choke) to some beginners who couldn't ukemi, so i decided to put 2 big fluffy mats (about 12 inches thick) down - it speeded up the training considerably and nages were really getting much more practise in. I would consider this approach again, even for advanced students.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 10-27-2005, 10:33 AM   #10
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Our dojo didn't have mats for quite a while, and we got used to it. When we finally got mats, it was like a slice of heaven!

I have used multiple layers when teaching a high fall technique, and it did speed up training considerably.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 10-27-2005, 03:59 PM   #11
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

> have used multiple layers when teaching a high fall technique, and it did speed up training considerably.<

We just did that the other night. Lots of fun ! All the bigger guys who don't feel good about "big" ukemi yet were having a ball.
Kind of cool to get to really whip a big'un over into hi falls.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 10-27-2005, 04:13 PM   #12
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

Ouch... i dont even want to imagine aikido without mats.
But i guess it could better prepare you
Old 10-27-2005, 04:24 PM   #13
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Paige Frazier wrote:
Ouch... i dont even want to imagine aikido without mats.
But i guess it could better prepare you
Learn ukemi on mats, then practice on hard floor. In that order. It's an eye opener.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 10-27-2005, 05:04 PM   #14
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

^^ im sure it would be
Old 10-27-2005, 07:05 PM   #15
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

then graduate to asphalt/gravel that's another eyeopener
Old 10-27-2005, 08:05 PM   #16
ad_adrian

Dojo: Yoshinkan Brisbane Dojo
Australia

so here's a question
why dont ppl eva train on concreate? like if ur in a bar or what not im sure a fight will be there
i know mats r good for getting technique right but surely having some realisim cant hurt? why is training always on mats
Old 10-27-2005, 10:57 PM   #17
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

I practiced for two years in a UK dojo with no mats. The floor was wooden but was upstairs and had some give as the room shook. The first night I went there (after 3 years on mats) I thought they were joking...

We practiced few foreword rolls, no break-falls, but all the usual techniques. I have no doubt that some mat-less practice improves both ukemi and nage waza. The latter through the more obvious connection to the floor and the feeling of pushing off the big toe. It also slows practice to a point where you can feel things through. The former through survival.

At the dojo we found that something was missing however and started training on mats once a week. Also worth noting is that students there, who have not trained elsewhere, think it's no big deal as they don't know any different (see also Sorinji Kempo).

Re injuries - I saw less injuries there than matted dojos - though long term I would watch the knees, and for those making a sudden change to mat-less there are definite risks.

Personally now, I'd recommend a spell of trying it, but I like the aerobic expansiveness that mats can provide - they're a nice privilege.

Mark
Old 10-28-2005, 12:42 AM   #18
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

We did a workshop with other martial artists the other day in a regular sports hall without mats. I think rolling would still be ok (for a while) and it would probably improve everybody´s rolling skills *very* fast, but what got me is the pain in the knees I just wanted to avoid kneeling down whenever possible (it occured more often when taking ukemi), but I have very sensitive knee caps, so other people might not find it too bad.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:47 AM   #19
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

I have on accasion used hard floors to teach ukeme. For example a couple of years ago I was teaching at a seminar where a lot of students where doing spectacular high rolls BUT landing on the outside of the ankle. After about five minutes practice on a wooden floor ukeme was drastically altered. Interestingly when I saw the same guys a year later they were still doing the "wooden floor" ukeme.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:13 AM   #20
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Interesting set of opinions.

Take a step back and consider the purpose of ukemi.

I can think of 2 things initially;

Firstly to enable ones partner to practice.
Secondly to experience what your partner is doing.

In allowing your partner to practice does it make any difference what he throws you on? No. Other than a softer surface should increase your chances of coming back for more.

In terms of the second - will a hard floor enhance your capacity to feel what your partner is doing....or divert your attention to self-preservation?

I have practiced ukemi on hard surfaces...I've practiced grappling on hard surfaces (and even a soft surface is not much fun without a gi on).

Its not something that you need to do a lot of.

Why don't we train on concrete? because its stupid.

Who knows of anyone that has used a forward roll in a fight.

Breakfall maybe...but not by choice.

I'd imagine there are exceptions..but they are likely to be in a very small minority.

In the heat of the moment a few concrete burns won't make a jot of difference. You wont even find them until later.

But they'll certainly get in the way of regular attendance at class.

anyway - I digress.

In this instance the focus should be on the thrower and not the throwee! If theres going to be trouble I'll not be volunteering for ukemi.

FWIW

Cheers

D

ps. Phil - you have a better physique than me for shock absorption anyway - I'll have to train a lot harder to catch you up!

Last edited by Dazzler : 10-28-2005 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:40 AM   #21
Ian Upstone

I have to second Daren's opinion here.

You are as likely to need breakfalls in a fight as you are bowing skills. They are just a part of practise that allow us to continue training, an artificial element that is essential for repeated practise of techniques. Making uke fall is a by-product of techique, not the aim of it.

Regluar training on a hard surface will not add anything apart from increasing the risk of injury and forcing techniques to become less dynamic.

The only benefit I can think of by taking an occassional fall on a harder surface is that it may help you realise where your falls can be smoother. However, regular long-term training will iron out problems like this, and you're less likely to injure yourself along the way.

Ian (who admits to falling onto concrete recently ...accidentally I might add)
Old 10-28-2005, 09:43 AM   #22
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

1. The most commonly used (physical) self defense technique of aikido is being able to take ukemi on a hard surface - particularly if you drink It's been said before that trips, slips and falls are more dangerous than axe-wielding lunies (for most of us).

2. I too am grateful for mats for allowing us to practice certain techniques and absorb more over time. I would again however stress how they can benefit nage by making the ground connection easier to feel - try practicing to the point of balance breaking on wood - that way you can feel the point without having to go to the doctors You may also find that turning on a hard surface is easier on the knees.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:49 AM   #23
bogglefreak20
Dojo: Ki dojo
Slovenia

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote:
Learn ukemi on mats, then practice on hard floor. In that order. It's an eye opener.

Exactly!

We always train on mats and I remember that as beginners we were discouraged by our sensei to try it on hard floor for the first couple of months (most of us did it anyway ).

Later, when we felt more and more comfortable with it (and our egos and bravado started kicking in), sensei proposed we all try it at home on wooden floor. "That'll set you back on the ground."

Nowadays I do it sometimes at home after morning stretching excercises. Quite comfortably, I might add.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:51 AM   #24
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

I've done a few breakfalls on a wooden floor (usually due to missing the mats, occasionally falling off the skateboard) and the only difference is that it stings a bit when you slap your hand down.

Once the tingling goes away and you can feel your fingers again, it's ok.

I agree that it's good once you've learned the basics to try to roll on a hard floor so you can find your remaining corners, and work on rounding them off

Ruth
Old 11-03-2005, 12:21 PM   #25
CoramR
Dojo: Aikido Family Training Center
United_States
Ai symbol Re: Hard Floor

I believe that when you are a beginner, you should practice on fairly soft tatame because it will prevent injury due to lack of experience with Ukemi. However once you become adeped in the ways of Ukemi you should train on hard tatame or with no tatame at all so that you have more of a reason to practice proper Ukemi. I have heard many stories of people who learned Ukemi very well because if they didn't, they would be in pain for several days. So, I beleve that the more experienced you are in Ukemi, the harder the falling surface should be.
In Aiki Spirit,
Ryan