Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-08-2003, 11:25 AM   #1
Veers

Dojo: Shinkikan Aikikai Aikido of Corpus Christi
Freaky! It's HUGE!

Okay, I just bought my gi... $64.84 for a massive judo gi. Is it supposed to be that big? I mean, sure, it'll shrink, but, heh, it's giant...I could fit two of me inside it!

Two questions...one, does the right lapel go on top, or does the left? Two, how do I tie my obi? It goes around me twice and I'm not sure how I should tie it so the ends are not tripping me up and the knot is not posing a falling hazard to my stomach.

When it comes out of the laundry, I'll take a picture of it...

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:44 AM   #2
shihonage
United_States
1) Left lapel goes on top

2) You need to ask someone at the dojo to show you how to tie your belt

3) gi's have sizes, you know
Old 04-08-2003, 11:45 AM   #3
Veers

1) Thanks.

2) Okay.

3) The store owner picked it out for me after I tried on a few.

Old 04-08-2003, 11:46 AM   #4
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
The judogi will shrink...in a big way...if you wash or dry on hot. It will also fade and soften.

The lapels go left-over-right. Unless you're at your own funeral, someone told me.

The ends of the obi also go left over right and the knot should be open to the left. Not that I personally give a rip about that, but some people are picky.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 04-08-2003, 01:14 PM   #5
Veers

Here're some pics...heh, blinked on the first one... (and maybe the second, too...the world may never know).

http://pwp.clearsource.net/mlyons/mygi1.jpg

http://pwp.clearsource.net/mlyons/mygi2.jpg

It did shrink...anyone think it still looks too big? Not sure what to expect...(and that belt is still huge).

Old 04-08-2003, 01:20 PM   #6
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
looks good to me. my sensei got me my gi and i was swimming in it & now that i've washed it its way too small so now i need a new one!

i wrap my belt around twice, so do all the small people in the dojo, also you can tuck the ends under your belt.

enjoy!

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 04-08-2003, 01:32 PM   #7
akiy

Hi Jonathan,

If that's your dogi before you washed it, I think it'll shrink and fit just fine. If it's after you've washed it, I think it may still shrink a bit, but not much; you may have to roll up your sleeves while training...

Otherwise, congratulations!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-08-2003, 01:37 PM   #8
Kung Fu Liane
Confused

we just ordered a whole load of new gis, and everyone looks like they've been playing 'dressing up' in their parents' clothes. sensei advised us to take a warm bath while wearing our gis, he says that way they will shrink to fit. apparently thats how people used to get their jeans to shrink to fit back in the old days

personally i've always put my training kit in a hot wash, but then it eventually becomes too small

-Liane

Aikido: a martial art which allows you to defeat your enemy without hurting him, unless of course he doesn't know how to breakfall in which case he will shatter every bone in his body when he lands. Also known as Origami with people
Old 04-08-2003, 01:53 PM   #9
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
I always buy one size bigger as I prefer to machine wash and dry mine. I've found that when new, if I wash and dry it 3 times on the hottest settings that shrinks it about as much as it's going to. I still have to hem the pants and sleeves though (I like them mid-shin and mid-forearm).

I think the fit of yours looks fine. It'll shrink up a little more with the next couple of washings but the majority of the shrinkage happens after the first wash.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-08-2003, 02:04 PM   #10
Kevin Wilbanks
So long as you don't trip on it or indecently expose yourself, don't worry about the gi fit much. It may seem like a new car or something to you now, but if you stick with Aikido, you will end up owning many, and one gi here or there won't be much more significant than a pair of socks. Eventually, you'll find what you like, and the only way to do that is to live with them and judge for yourself.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:55 PM   #11
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
http://www.risingsundojo.com/Resources/Obi1.htm

I FOUND PICTURES !!

And don't worry about size. It looks fine. As for tying the belt, I still do it wrong... but maybe no longer now that I found this page.

Old 04-08-2003, 03:05 PM   #12
The Wrenster
Hey all, one of my first posts. Yes, my gi shrunk a huge ammount, but now it starting to go floppy and saggy, so another hothot wash and some starch may be in order Belt tying...in my dojo there are two main ways of doin this, I'll try my best to explain, but im sure you will find your own preferences as you go.

1. find the midpoint of your belt and place this just below your navel. Then wrap both ends round behind, and back out to the front. Then tie an qoverhand knot, tucking one end behind the 1st layer, then a final knot to make it a reef knot. The only problem I found was that if you breakfall, and have a stiff belt (ie.new) it can dig into your back at the crossover poit

2. Start by holding the extreme left of the belt to your left rear hip. With the right hand side, wrap it round your back and over the left side back to the front again, making sure its nice and smooth. Swivel it round a bit, and poke the left hand belt end below the rest of the belt, adjust the lengths and tie a reef knot. This is mush more comfortable in my opinion and saves the nast crossovers at the back.

I hope this is of some help, probably not needed by now.. Oh well
Old 04-08-2003, 03:28 PM   #13
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
As we found that a lot of (new) people have problems with left and right we tell them to wear their gi-top in such a way that the side with the label on it is the top side.

We have a japanse girl in our dojo told us that if you wear the gi top the other way that you are wearing it the way the dead are dressed

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 04-08-2003, 09:15 PM   #14
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Hmmm......Maybe I should start wearing mine like that then. As one who's called up as uke frequently; I seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time flat on my back, staring up at the ceiling......

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:27 AM   #15
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
The only problem I found was that if you breakfall, and have a stiff belt (ie.new) it can dig into your back at the crossover poit
I was taught that the cross over point shouldn't be in the back for this very reason. When you look at somebodys belt from behind it should look like one belt.

I put the middle of the belt in the middle of my front. Wrap the the right side all the way around to the middle of my front, then the left side all the way around to the middle of my front. The end now on top goes under all the layers and back out the top, tighten as desired. At this point the tails should be the same length, if they aren't adjust as needed. Then the upper tail crosses over the lower tail and back up through the hole between the two tails, tighten the knot. I also then tuck the tails under both layers of the belt and back up through and then down between the layers of the belt (on their respective sides), this keeps it locked in place and prevents it from untying.

I don't expect anybody to really care, I just wanted to see if I could explain it without pictures or being able to show it

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-09-2003, 04:37 AM   #16
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Quote:
Adam Wren (The Wrenster) wrote:
1. find the midpoint of your belt and place this just below your navel. Then wrap both ends round behind, and back out to the front. Then tie an qoverhand knot, tucking one end behind the 1st layer, then a final knot to make it a reef knot. The only problem I found was that if you breakfall, and have a stiff belt (ie.new) it can dig into your back at the crossover poit
Having checked the link above (http://www.risingsundojo.com/Resources/Obi1.htm), I find I tie my belt the same way. If you follow those instructions, i.e starting with the end of the belt at one side rather than in the middle, you will find that the belt wraps smoothly with no lumpy crossover what so ever. It was a God send that someone showed me many years back.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 04-09-2003, 05:00 AM   #17
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden
I've lerned that both ends are suppose point down (not up then down by gravity) i.e. opposit way of the picture from the link above (no pun )

Jakob Blomquist
Old 04-09-2003, 07:09 AM   #18
Veers

Yeah, that's how they showed my last night... Need to see it again and do it several times to get it down.

And it wasn't too big, after all. Fit well on me.

Old 04-09-2003, 08:36 AM   #19
jk
Manly obi fashion tips...

Not that it really matters, but to some folks the obi crossover at the back is manlier...I think it's in the same category as avoiding the wasp-waisted look that comes from tying your belt tightly, and too high above your hips. Of course, all these manly fashion tips are probably the result of expanding male waistlines...

Regards,
Old 04-09-2003, 10:38 AM   #20
Judd
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
On the subject, I always have probelms with my belt. I weigh about 135, so there's not much distinction between waist and hips. No matter how I tie my belt, it always slips up over my hips and ends up near my ribs when doing backward rolling, for instance. So when we roll to standing, I'm always having to push my belt back down and get my gi unbunched. I had to add ties (like Karate gis) just to keep the darn thing closed! Grrr...Anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-09-2003, 11:49 AM   #21
Veers

Well, at 125 pounds, I have to tie mine above my hips... I didn't have trouble with it moving around, but I had to tighten it a few times.

Old 04-09-2003, 12:24 PM   #22
Qatana

try being female with an "hourglass figure". my belt is always sliding up!

Q
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 04-09-2003, 02:14 PM   #23
otto
Dojo: Independent
Venezuela
Thumbs down good shape

Quote:
Jo Adell (Qatana) wrote:
try being female with an "hourglass figure"
I wont mind taking a look at that "Hourglass Figure" of yours Jo , pics are very welcomed.

And BTW , does the title on this thread sounds like some Penis enlargement Ad to anyone??

Plus KI!

Last edited by otto : 04-09-2003 at 02:17 PM.

"Perfection is a Process"
Old 04-09-2003, 09:25 PM   #24
Qatana

In my gi?

Q
www.knot-working.com

Old 04-09-2003, 09:35 PM   #25
jk
Quote:
Judd Mercer (Judd) wrote:
I had to add ties (like Karate gis) just to keep the darn thing closed! Grrr...Anyone else have this problem?
That's not a problem. The looser belt was meant to facilitate the showing off of your manly chest (and any associated manly chest hair) as your dogi opens. And yes, Jo, a picture of you in your dogi, showing off your hourglass figure and/or manly chest hair, would be much appreciated by the peanut gallery...

Regards,