Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-28-2017, 10:46 PM   #1
cigarbill
United_States
Smile Gi sizing assistance

Hey all,

I'm new here - I've been away from Aikido for almost 20 years, and have finally decided to go back!

I've read through all of the threads about purchasing a gi, and I am thinking that I am going to go with HiDriTex from eBogu as it seems to be a good mix of quality and price. I also didn't want to spend too much for my first gi going back.

My confusion comes to size. I know they shrink a bit, and so I'm not sure what to do - I think I may be between a 4 and a 5?

I called eBogu today, and the person on the phone recommended a 5, though there was a language barrier... I wanted to bounce things off of you and get your thoughts.

6-0" / 230lbs
When I buy jeans, they are a 38x32, though 38x31 are better.
In a sport coat or suit I am either a 46 or 48 depending on the cut.

What do you think?

Part of me is thinking that if I do go with a 5, I can always have the legs and arms shortened by a local seamstress, and have it triple or 4x stitched for strength after I wash it few times in hot water to shrink it a bit.

Oh, and for belt size - what is best for a 38" waist?

Thanks for the input! Once I get this figured out, I look forward to getting back to a dojo!

Many thanks!
Bill
Salida, CA (near Modesto, CA)
Old 08-29-2017, 03:34 AM   #2
nikyu62
Dojo: Aikido Club of American Samoa
American Samoa
Re: Gi sizing assistance

Size varies depending on manufacturer and material; I would go for a 6, as it will shrink quite a bit unless you only wash it in cold water and hang dry.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:13 AM   #3
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

Hi

It seems you have more upper body than legs. The good thing is that this will provide you with a low center of gravity which is good for aikido

Also since your weight indicates you are a bit round I would suggest going up a size rather than down. You would be happy about the extra width, and the extra length also come in handy if you have a long upper body. It looks really silly if the lapels under the belt are short.

I am roughly 190 lbs and 182 cm tall. I use a size 5 from Tozando. Fit's perfectly... however NEVER ever wash it warm or tumble dry it. It will shrink in both length and - depending on how it's weaved and sown - width.

I don't know what they will allow for you in your dojo, but I have a few karate gi's that I enjoy during summer. They are cooler, and they fit better around the waist.

But first and foremost: ask your sensei or your club mates. They will be able to help you.
Seek out someone of the same height and girth if possible, and ask what they use.

See you!

Jørgen Jakob

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 08-30-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
cigarbill
United_States

Thanks for the input - I did go with the larger size, and ordered two... I mean, with a 15% off courpon code and free shipping, how could I not?

Looking forward to getting everything together so I can get back on the mat soon!

Many thanks again!
:-)