Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-31-2002, 11:26 PM   #1
Reuben

Dojo: Aikido Seishinkan
Malaysia
Reuben's Introduction

Just joined the forum today and it's great to know ppl who have the same interest in Aikido and are so open and passionate about it.

I have practiced Aikido for 8 years and am currently at sho-dan. It seems that my learning has just begun! Haha past the manifestation and dipping my leg into the hidden stage you might say! It's been a long journey and when I couldn't take Aikido I dabbled a bit in Taekwando, Jujitsu and Hapkido but I always returned to my favourite martial art. It is liberating to know that there is a martial art suited to my character!

I also play competitive chess(used to no time now), write poetry and I love computer games especially strategy ones.

It would be great to know everyone(if my mailbox and eyes can take it) and look forward to posting more in to forums.

Oh and I'm from Malaysia and I have a rather pathetic webpage at http://www10.brinkster.com/charybdis/
which is basically just a poetry page with a short biodata on me.

Ciao!

Old 02-01-2002, 10:04 AM   #2
bcole23
Dojo: Eagle Rock Aikido, Ammon, ID
United_States
こんにちは ルベ"!
はじめまして。 お元気ですか? 私は大丈夫です。私の--シ前はブラ"ド"です。私はアメリカのアイダホに住んでいます。

Hello Rueben!
Nice to meet you. How are you? I'm fine. My name is Brandon. I live in Idaho, USA.

The reason for my reply, (beside needing to practice my Japanese) is because I too, play chess. I have for many years. I guess my chess highlight would be my match against Women's GrandMaster Svettlana Matveeva. I lasted almost 40 moves. (my computer says I even had a pawn advantage until move 31.)

Just thought you might like to play sometime, and.. uhh.. discuss the way aikido and chess.. u..mmm... tactics.. strategy.. iriminage.. Well, just to play.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:23 PM   #3
guest1234
Hello and welcome...a word of warning, watch out for most of the guys around here, they're up to no good, and are generally jokers. And NEVER go on the Springer show with any of them...
Old 02-01-2002, 10:05 PM   #4
akiy

Hi Reuben,

Thanks for your introduction, and welcome to the AikiWeb Forums! I'm glad you're here with us.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-01-2002, 10:06 PM   #5
Reuben

Malaysia
Heya Brandon and Colleen!

Yeah brandon sure anytime! I'm always looking for a good game. Chess isn't such a hot hobby in Malaysia and as such you can imagine my friends' confusion when I talk to them about pressuring from afar and the intricacies of blockading. God i sound like a geek haha. So where do you usually play? I used to have an account on the Internet Chess Club but it's rather expensive to play there when you consider there are a lot of good free services out there like kasparov chess and yahoo.

Oh and i don't understand japanese and neither can my computer display it.

Well i have to say my highlight which isn't really a highlight was beating my state's senior champion to qualify for the inter state competitions. Oh yeah and I met Eduard Gufeld and got Karpov's signature. That's about it i guess.

Colleen: I will take the advice. Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 02-02-2002, 09:33 AM   #6
Edward
Thailand
Hello Reuben,

Welcome to this forum.

Are you in KL or Kuching? I might be able to drop by sometime and practice with you. I always wanted to attend classes with Yamada Shihan, but never had the chance.

All the best.

Edward
Old 02-02-2002, 03:02 PM   #7
Lenocinari

Hi

Reuben-
Hi!
Cheers-
Ben

P.S. You'll know me as the youngest person(i think) on Aikiweb!

In order to see the stars, you first have to turn off the lights.
Old 02-02-2002, 03:07 PM   #8
JPT
Dojo: trad
This is a cool site for chess & its free!
www.redhotpawn.com
Old 02-02-2002, 03:29 PM   #9
bcole23
Dojo: Eagle Rock Aikido, Ammon, ID
United_States
Quote:
when you consider there are a lot of good free services out there like kasparov chess and yahoo.
That's kinda funny. Those are the exact two places I play. I play more often on Yahoo though. My time to play has also become limited, but I find a few good games every now and then helps keep you mentally sharp. I feel dumbwitted if I don't play every so often..

My handle on everything is always bcole23.

You can email me at bcole23@hotmail.com.

Oh, and Colleen, I believe you are in the USAF. I was stationed at Shaw 'till '99.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:37 PM   #10
guest1234
Nice base, Shaw...did a Safety Board there one summer...
Old 02-03-2002, 03:27 AM   #11
Reuben

Malaysia
Edward:
My hometown is in Kuching but i will be in KL until June for my A levels so feel free to drop in anytime!

I'll leave you my contact number
019 2886045
Call me if you're planning to come down and I'll try to help u the best i can!

And as for the rest of you it would be great to talk to you all real time so here is my icq and msn

r3uben@hotmail.com
Old 02-05-2002, 03:08 AM   #12
jk
Hi Reuben,

Say hello to Atsushi Yamada Sensei (and the Shihan) for me. Tell Atsushi that the kids in Bandung need him back...

You're one lucky guy to be in KL right now; happy training.

Regards,
Old 02-05-2002, 10:44 AM   #13
Edward
Thailand
Quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
Edward:
My hometown is in Kuching but i will be in KL until June for my A levels so feel free to drop in anytime!

I'll leave you my contact number
019 2886045
Call me if you're planning to come down and I'll try to help u the best i can!

And as for the rest of you it would be great to talk to you all real time so here is my icq and msn

r3uben@hotmail.com
Thanks very much Reuben! Hope to see you soon.

Cheers,
Edward
Old 02-05-2002, 11:21 AM   #14
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
Quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
Edward:
I was born in Kuching, Sarawak. My father was up there for work at that time. I'm Indonesian though, can't even remember when I was up there. But my mom told me that we lived in one of those long-houses.

I live in Jakarta as long as I can remember.

Nice to meet you Reuben...
Old 02-24-2002, 07:38 PM   #15
Dean H.
Reuben,

Thank you for your introduction.

I don't know anything about Hapkido,
and would like to know if you could tell me a few things- maybe a little comparison / contrast with Aikido, if you feel like it.

I appreciate it,

Dean
Old 02-25-2002, 08:48 AM   #16
ndiegel
Actually Reuben, you should watch out for Colleen. She's the real trickster of this group, always trying to make us look like the troublemakers. Sounds like you're getting popular already with us, so have fun in the forums.

Noah

"Expect Nothing, Be Ready For Anything"
-Samurai Battle Chant
Old 03-03-2002, 04:47 AM   #17
Reuben

Malaysia
Dean: Sorry for the slow reply, I thought this thread would be dead by now so I didn't take a look at it until now

Hapkido is a combination of taekwando and japanese jujitsu. Though it does not have the same spiritual emphasis and it's a lot more brutal. No such misgivings as in breaking the arms or mauling the person.

Practically it's quite effective as a self defense system but not really my sort of thing with all the brutality invovled.

I took a few lessons and found a lot of similarities such as the koto gaeshi movement and the general entering into ikkyo movements. however it's a lot more forceful and there's little emphasis on developing ki. It was just force the person down. And the movements aren't as circular it was more direct entering.

It's a good martial art system I feel but i guess i didn't continue it as a matter of preference. The kicking movements are very similiar to taekwando and their legwork is a lot like modern taekwando too with lots of switching and stuff like that.

NDiegel:
haha I will look out for colleen
Old 03-03-2002, 05:15 PM   #18
Dean H.
Thank you, Reuben.

-Dean
Old 03-03-2002, 09:06 PM   #19
guest1234
No, no, Reuben, you have it all wrong, Noah is trying to trick you, I'm really very sweet and entertaining, kind of like a ferret. OK, a rabid ferret.