PDA

View Full Version : Who is big in Japan?

Please visit our sponsor:

Adam Sorkin
02-12-2001, 09:40 AM
If you could go to Japan to practice aikido, which dojos would you most like to train at? Or, which teachers would you most like to train with? Please tell me who, and why.

andrew
02-12-2001, 09:48 AM
Fujita Shihan(Hombu, I think). I have no real reason why, I just liked the mpgs I saw of him. I was all excited about going to a summer school he was giving with Kanetsuka Shihan in England, actually, until I found out it happened LAST august, not this one. Damned un-updated webpages.

Do you ask this for debate or for advice?

andrew

Adam Sorkin
02-12-2001, 09:54 AM
andrew wrote:

Do you ask this for debate or for advice?

andrew

Just advice, for a project I am doing. Thanx, and keep 'em coming!

Dan Hover
02-12-2001, 02:28 PM
two must see's Hombu dojo (the morning classes are the ones Doshu teaches) and Iwama. These are important places for historical purposes and both are like the Mecca of modern Aikido.

BC
02-12-2001, 03:00 PM
In addition to Hombu and Iwama, I would like to train in Yamagata at Funakoshi Sensei's dojo there. The reason is that I attended one of his seminars a couple of years ago and very much liked his unique style and technique. He was one of Rinjiro Shirata Sensei's senior students. Plus I've heard that the land around Yamagata is very beautiful.

Sam
02-23-2001, 05:50 AM
I am going to the Tomiki Hombu in Osaka to learn for 3 months under Nariyama Shihan this August. I am going becasue nowhere teaches better Tomiki aikido, I know a few people who train there and also because the Hombu has an intensive training schedule for visitors with limited time in the country. One day I would love to visit the Yoshinkan Hombu as I have admired the style for a long time, but perhaps I will have to wait until I have the resourses to get me out there a second time!

MikeE
02-23-2001, 10:45 AM
I would love to train at the Tendokan with Kenji Shimizu Sensei. My instructor trained there and highly influenced my style. I enjoy the release of energy from the last second explosion of ki in Tendo-Ryu technique.

I would also (of course) love to train at Hombu just to see how each instructor expresses his Aikido differently.

Gene McGloin
02-23-2001, 12:46 PM
This was my list when I was there last year, but it would've been way too expensive to train in each dojo!

In Tokyo (which is a REALLY big place): Yoshio Kuroiwa sensei, Aikikai Hombu (Endo, Arikawa, Watanabe ss. especially), Kobayashi sensei's dojo.

Nishio sensei! Don't remember where he teaches. I think he's outside of Tokyo.

Iwama: I wouldn't plan on doing much else than aikido in Iwama, though.

Kamakura: Y. Takeda sensei.

Kyushu: Sunadamori sensei's dojo.

Shingu: Hikitsuchi sensei's dojo.

Best Regards,
Gene

akiy
02-23-2001, 01:03 PM
Gene McGloin wrote:
I'd train with Takeda sensei, too. My parents have a condominium right by Yokohama station so it wouldn't be too difficult to "commute." (He'll be in the San Francisco Bay Area this August again, too.)

Other teachers I would like to see include Kuroiwa sensei and Endo sensei. I don't know if I'd go back to Hombu dojo, though...

-- Jun

JJF
02-26-2001, 01:14 AM
I guess I would take a chance with Doshus' classes - sort of to get close to the 'source' :)

Apart from that I would probably go to Shoji Nishio Sensei's dojo in the Tokyo area. He is the Shihan, who's style I am trying to get a grasp of.

Take a look at: http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~nisio/HTML/eigo.html

Levan
03-12-2001, 08:10 AM
The first I'll do, I'll travel to Iwama Dojo, try to see Morihiro Saito Sensei and 'll try to attend a class of him or his son. Second, I will try to identify the Dojo of Kondo Katsuyuki Sensei to see a real Daito-Ryu in action. It seems to me that one day I will try to re-orient myself to Daito-Ryu Jujutsu of Takeda Family, which seems to me more traditional and pure than present Aikido of different styles.

Levan

REK
03-12-2001, 08:25 AM
Hey, Jun, what about Hombu? I have always wanted to go. Should I be cautious?

Does anyone know if Yamaguchi Sensei is still around? I believe that is who Gleason Sensei (Shobu Aikido of Boston) trained with.

I would definitely see Saito and Kuroiwa, if I could.

Regards,
Rob

akiy
03-12-2001, 09:12 AM
REK wrote:
Hey, Jun, what about Hombu? I have always wanted to go. Should I be cautious?
I think Aikikai Hombu dojo is definitely worth a trip for everyone. They have good training there, of course, but I just don't feel very drawn back to the place.
Does anyone know if Yamaguchi Sensei is still around? I believe that is who Gleason Sensei (Shobu Aikido of Boston) trained with.
Seigo Yamaguchi sensei passed away in 1996.

-- Jun

Mike Collins
03-15-2001, 06:38 PM
I'd like to train in Hombu to see Doshu's class, that is the base technically; I'd like to train with Kato Hiroshi sensei either at Hombu or at Suginami Aikikai, he is the teacher I most connect with, and the one I am the least likely to physically imitate; I'd like to train at Shingu at least once with Hikitsuchi sensei, though it'd probably kill me, aerobically, he is my teachers' teacher and it is part of where my Aikido comes from; I'd like to train with Anno sensei at his dojo, or at Shingu, same reason as Hikitsuchi, but I also thought he was a remarkably warm human being; I wish I could go to Japan for several months with someone who was fluent and train my big a$$ off, literally.

Maybe when I retire.

[Edited by Mikey on March 15, 2001 at 06:43pm]

akiy
03-16-2001, 09:43 AM
Mikey wrote:
I'd like to train with Kato Hiroshi sensei either at Hombu or at Suginami Aikikai, he is the teacher I most connect with, and the one I am the least likely to physically imitate
I don't think Kato sensei teaches at Aikikai Hombu dojo, but maybe you can catch him and really train with him when he comes to train on Friday night at Hombu dojo? It was interesting to see him just training there...

-- Jun

Mike Collins
03-16-2001, 09:58 AM
Yeah, that was what I meant. It'd be pretty cool to get an hour of hands on. I doubt I'd be doing any throwing, but I'd get me some lessons.

akiy
03-16-2001, 10:13 AM
Mikey wrote:
Yeah, that was what I meant. It'd be pretty cool to get an hour of hands on. I doubt I'd be doing any throwing, but I'd get me some lessons.
Oh, I'm sure you'd be nage for a while. But, it would probably be like the time I trained for an hour with my teacher during someone else's class at a seminar -- he threw me four times, then he let me throw him four times. It really was kind of like being uke four times, and then being uke again four times (if you know what I mean)...

-- Jun

PeterR
03-16-2001, 03:01 PM
Nariyama is probably one of the top Aikido teachers period of his generation. You have to remember that Tomiki sent him to be Kobayashi 's uchideshi in Osaka where he stayed until he had an Aikiaki Honbu 5th dan. In effect he was taught long term by Ueshiba's first and last uchi-deshi. He is a powerful vigorous teacher and Aikidoist in his mid 50s - if you know Chiba you have some idea of his style.

However, the dojo is not set up for casual visitors especially if you are not familiar with the system. To get on the mat you pay the initial membership fee (not cheap) and they are classes like any other. It is possible to get special lessons but again these are normally for long term practitioners of the style.

The dojo is smaller and more intimate than the Aikikai Honbu. I have never had trouble having someone observe a class.

Sam wrote:
I am going to the Tomiki Hombu in Osaka to learn for 3 months under Nariyama Shihan this August. I am going becasue nowhere teaches better Tomiki aikido, I know a few people who train there and also because the Hombu has an intensive training schedule for visitors with limited time in the country. One day I would love to visit the Yoshinkan Hombu as I have admired the style for a long time, but perhaps I will have to wait until I have the resourses to get me out there a second time!

MAX
04-05-2001, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE]Gene McGloin wrote:
[B]This was my list when I was there last year, but it would've been way too expensive to train in each dojo!

In Tokyo (which is a REALLY big place): Yoshio Kuroiwa sensei, Aikikai Hombu (Endo, Arikawa, Watanabe ss. especially), Kobayashi sensei's dojo.

Nishio sensei! Don't remember where he teaches. I think he's outside of Tokyo.

Iwama: I wouldn't plan on doing much else than aikido in Iwama, though.

Kyushu: Sunadamori sensei's dojo.

Shingu: Hikitsuchi sensei's dojo.

Best Regards,
Gene

MAX.
I am currently in Japan travelling around and would like to train at the Hombu in Tokyo for a few days towards the end of my trip.Can you tell me how to get to the Aiki shrine in Iwama as i would like to visit this also before my JR pass runs out.
Also what do you think about the Amenotakemusujuku Dojo In Osaka which is run by ABE SENSEI..??

JJF
04-06-2001, 03:15 AM
Hi Max!

Man I wish I was you.... :)
I just remebered that I have read on http://www.Aikidoonline.com in the Tokyo Notebook by L. Klein, that forigners with no prior arrangement risk a very hostile reception i Iwama.
Quote:[/QUOTE]But don't make the mistake me and a Spanish friend did last year of visiting Iwama on any other day of the year. The shrine is closed and the Iwama dojo people chased us away from the gate like we were selling something or had some kind of disease. Neither of us had ever been literally shooed out of a dojo complex before. Go figure. [/QUOTE]
I don't want to deter you from going, but perhaps it would be a good idea to get some kind of letter of recomandation or perhaps even an appointment with someone there before you go.

For directions on how to find the shrine check out: http://www.iwama-ryu.dk/main/Map.htm

Happy Trails in Japan!

MAX
04-06-2001, 04:01 AM
JJF wrote:
Hi Max!

I just remebered that I have read on http://www.Aikidoonline.com in the Tokyo Notebook by L. Klein, that forigners with no prior arrangement risk a very hostile reception i Iwama.
Quote:[B]But don't make the mistake me and a Spanish friend did last year of visiting Iwama on any other day of the year. The shrine is closed and the Iwama dojo people chased us away from the gate like we were selling something or had some kind of disease. Neither of us had ever been literally shooed out of a dojo complex before. Go figure. [/QUOTE]
I don't want to deter you from going, but perhaps it would be a good idea to get some kind of letter of recomandation or perhaps even an appointment with someone there before you go.

For directions on how to find the shrine check out: http://www.iwama-ryu.dk/main/Map.htm

Happy Trails in Japan! [

MAX..
Cheers mate for your reply.I`ll have to look into it.I`m travelling around a bit at the moment but will be heading for the Hombu in about 10 days,so perhaps they will be able to arrange something.Sounds like you had a bit of a game yourselves last year.What day did you go on then?Is it closed year round?

/B][/QUOTE]

MAX
04-06-2001, 04:26 AM
MAX wrote:
JJF wrote:
Hi Max!

Quote:[B]But don't make the mistake me and a Spanish friend did last year of visiting Iwama on any other day of the year. The shrine is closed and the Iwama dojo people chased us away from the gate like we were selling something or had some kind of disease. Neither of us had ever been literally shooed out of a dojo complex before. Go figure.

Happy Trails in Japan! [

MAX..
Cheers mate for your reply.I`ll have to look into it.I`m travelling around a bit at the moment but will be heading for the Hombu in about 10 days,so perhaps they will be able to arrange something.Sounds like you had a bit of a game yourselves last year.What day did you go on then?Is it closed year round?

Also,what do you think about writing to the Dojo now,to see if its ok!
/B][/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]

Gene McGloin
04-06-2001, 06:43 AM
MAX wrote:
I am currently in Japan travelling around and would like to train at the Hombu in Tokyo for a few days towards the end of my trip.Can you tell me how to get to the Aiki shrine in Iwama as i would like to visit this also before my JR pass runs out.
Also what do you think about the Amenotakemusujuku Dojo In Osaka which is run by ABE SENSEI..??

Hi Max,

I don't recall which JR line out of Tokyo it is. Can't be too difficult as there are a limited number of trains running north through Ibarakiken. I picked up the train from Tokyo in Tsuchiura and Iwama is four stops after that. Hope that helps. Never made it to Osaka, so can't say anything about Abe sensei's dojo, sorry.

Regards,

Gene McGloin

MAX
04-07-2001, 03:48 AM
Gene McGloin wrote:
MAX wrote:

Hi Max,

I don't recall which JR line out of Tokyo it is. Can't be too difficult as there are a limited number of trains running north through Ibarakiken. I picked up the train from Tokyo in Tsuchiura and Iwama is four stops after that. Hope that helps. Never made it to Osaka, so can't say anything about Abe sensei's dojo, sorry.

Regards,

Gene McGloin

THANKS GENE!!
I dont suppose you have an e mail address for the Hombu Dojo at all?
Cheers!!

Gene McGloin
04-07-2001, 07:56 AM
Max,

http://www.aikikai.org is the url I know of for the aikikai hombu dojo. My wife told me this morning that the JR line to Iwama is the Joban line out of Ueno station. The dojo is walking distance from the train station, but I don't think I could give accurate directions. Just ask for directions at the kissaten or maybe even at the station itself.

I would also concur with others who have posted that you should have some form of an introduction to the Iwama dojo prior to arriving there! I just wanted to see the dojo & shrine, take a few pictures and I was met with a chilly reception from a European student whom I would guess was dojo sempai or something like that. The one American guy there the day I stopped by wouldn't even speak to me while the Euro. guy was around!

Gambattene,

Gene McGloin

akiy
04-07-2001, 10:18 AM
Gene McGloin wrote:
The dojo is walking distance from the train station, but I don't think I could give accurate directions. Just ask for directions at the kissaten or maybe even at the station itself.
From what I've heard from people who trained there, the locals hardly know that there's an aikido dojo nearby...

Let me see if I can't get some accurate directions from someone.

-- Jun

mj
04-07-2001, 01:10 PM
Hi, can I just ask, if it's Ok, are you saying that you were refused entry to the dojo and treated disrespectfully? I am not saying I find it hard to believe, I just wondered if I picked it up wrong...

Gene McGloin
04-07-2001, 02:35 PM
mj wrote:
Hi, can I just ask, if it's Ok, are you saying that you were refused entry to the dojo and treated disrespectfully? I am not saying I find it hard to believe, I just wondered if I picked it up wrong...

Hi,

Simply put, I didn't feel welcome there. I didn't go to Iwama to practice, just to see the Shrine and take some pictures. I was told pics of the shrine were ok, but not the dojo. No problem. I was then told that I couldn't practice. I never mentioned wanting to practice nor did I bring any bags with me. The one american guy there wouldn't speak to me other than to say hello. The Japanese woman there wasn't responding to my Japanese wife's greeting or request to take pictures. So, not an altogether warm, fuzzy feeling. But hey we all have bad days, right?

I don't wish to imply that this is the standard way things are done in Iwama. I can't say that as I was only there once and don't know who I spoke with. However, I would not suggest to anyone visiting Japan to simply show up in any dojo without some prior notification of their arrival and some kind of an introduction. I believe, and have been told, that it is quite rude to simply drop in on a dojo and expect to practice for a day or two.

Regards,

Gene McGloin

mj
04-07-2001, 03:20 PM
Well... I suppose it IS O-sensei's shrine (jinja)... Hmmmm I don't know though. I mean, part of me agrees... part of me...(better shut up if I ever want to...) Wow. No disrespect to anyone is meant here. Personally, I'd love to train there. Or even take some pics. But on the other hand, I wouldn't want a bunch of tourists dragging dirt around the place, either. Of course, I don't mean Gene or any other poster, obviously. Maybe a letter of recommendation IS a good idea. Is that the Japanese (Eastern) way?

MAX
04-08-2001, 01:30 AM
Gene McGloin wrote:
mj wrote:

Hi,

Simply put, I didn't feel welcome there. I didn't go to Iwama to practice, just to see the Shrine and take some pictures. I was told pics of the shrine were ok, but not the dojo. No problem. I was then told that I couldn't practice. I never mentioned wanting to practice nor did I bring any bags with me. The one american guy there wouldn't speak to me other than to say hello. The Japanese woman there wasn't responding to my Japanese wife's greeting or request to take pictures. So, not an altogether warm, fuzzy feeling. But hey we all have bad days, right?

I don't wish to imply that this is the standard way things are done in Iwama. I can't say that as I was only there once and don't know who I spoke with. However, I would not suggest to anyone visiting Japan to simply show up in any dojo without some prior notification of their arrival and some kind of an introduction. I believe, and have been told, that it is quite rude to simply drop in on a dojo and expect to practice for a day or two.

Regards,

Gene McGloin

GENE,
Thanks for your posts on the subject and that goes for everyone.I think i will head to the Hombu first and get some arrangement there is possible as it sounds very ontop!I have heard a few experiences from people who have gone to view the place and only to take a few pictures and it does`nt seem to friendly.I mean.Alot of us probably will not get the chance to come to Japan again and so it will be the only opportunity to see these things.I know you have to be studying Iwama for a year before you can possibly train there,but I still want to visit the Shrine.There is a big ceremony there as you all know on the 29th.Its a shame I`ll be gone by then.
Thanks Tom.