Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-12-2001, 09:40 AM   #1
Adam Sorkin
Dojo: Honbu Dojo, Aikido of Madison
United_States
If you could go to Japan to practice aikido, which dojos would you most like to train at? Or, which teachers would you most like to train with? Please tell me who, and why.

Shut up and practice.
Old 02-12-2001, 09:48 AM   #2
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.

Fujita Shihan(Hombu, I think). I have no real reason why, I just liked the mpgs I saw of him. I was all excited about going to a summer school he was giving with Kanetsuka Shihan in England, actually, until I found out it happened LAST august, not this one. Damned un-updated webpages.

Do you ask this for debate or for advice?

andrew
Old 02-12-2001, 09:54 AM   #3
Adam Sorkin
Dojo: Honbu Dojo, Aikido of Madison
United_States
Quote:
andrew wrote:

Do you ask this for debate or for advice?

andrew
Just advice, for a project I am doing. Thanx, and keep 'em coming!

Shut up and practice.
Old 02-12-2001, 02:28 PM   #4
Dan Hover
Dojo: Bond Street Dojo/Aikido of Greater Milwaukee
United_States
two must see's Hombu dojo (the morning classes are the ones Doshu teaches) and Iwama. These are important places for historical purposes and both are like the Mecca of modern Aikido.

Dan Hover

of course that's my opinion, I could be wrong
Old 02-12-2001, 03:00 PM   #5
BC
In addition to Hombu and Iwama, I would like to train in Yamagata at Funakoshi Sensei's dojo there. The reason is that I attended one of his seminars a couple of years ago and very much liked his unique style and technique. He was one of Rinjiro Shirata Sensei's senior students. Plus I've heard that the land around Yamagata is very beautiful.

Robert Cronin
Old 02-23-2001, 05:50 AM   #6
Sam
Dojo: Kyogikan Sheffield
I am going to the Tomiki Hombu in Osaka to learn for 3 months under Nariyama Shihan this August. I am going becasue nowhere teaches better Tomiki aikido, I know a few people who train there and also because the Hombu has an intensive training schedule for visitors with limited time in the country. One day I would love to visit the Yoshinkan Hombu as I have admired the style for a long time, but perhaps I will have to wait until I have the resourses to get me out there a second time!
Old 02-23-2001, 10:45 AM   #7
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
I would love to train at the Tendokan with Kenji Shimizu Sensei. My instructor trained there and highly influenced my style. I enjoy the release of energy from the last second explosion of ki in Tendo-Ryu technique.

I would also (of course) love to train at Hombu just to see how each instructor expresses his Aikido differently.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 02-23-2001, 12:46 PM   #8
Gene McGloin
Dojo: Bond St. Dojo
This was my list when I was there last year, but it would've been way too expensive to train in each dojo!

In Tokyo (which is a REALLY big place): Yoshio Kuroiwa sensei, Aikikai Hombu (Endo, Arikawa, Watanabe ss. especially), Kobayashi sensei's dojo.

Nishio sensei! Don't remember where he teaches. I think he's outside of Tokyo.

Iwama: I wouldn't plan on doing much else than aikido in Iwama, though.

Kamakura: Y. Takeda sensei.

Kyushu: Sunadamori sensei's dojo.

Shingu: Hikitsuchi sensei's dojo.

Best Regards,
Gene
Old 02-23-2001, 01:03 PM   #9
akiy

Quote:
Gene McGloin wrote:
I'd train with Takeda sensei, too. My parents have a condominium right by Yokohama station so it wouldn't be too difficult to "commute." (He'll be in the San Francisco Bay Area this August again, too.)

Other teachers I would like to see include Kuroiwa sensei and Endo sensei. I don't know if I'd go back to Hombu dojo, though...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 02-26-2001, 01:14 AM   #10
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
I guess I would take a chance with Doshus' classes - sort of to get close to the 'source'

Apart from that I would probably go to Shoji Nishio Sensei's dojo in the Tokyo area. He is the Shihan, who's style I am trying to get a grasp of.

Take a look at: http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~nisio/HTML/eigo.html

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 03-12-2001, 08:10 AM   #11
Levan
Dojo: Tbilisi State University Dojo (Iwama Ryu Aikido)
Do symbol Aikido senseis I would like to train with

The first I'll do, I'll travel to Iwama Dojo, try to see Morihiro Saito Sensei and 'll try to attend a class of him or his son. Second, I will try to identify the Dojo of Kondo Katsuyuki Sensei to see a real Daito-Ryu in action. It seems to me that one day I will try to re-orient myself to Daito-Ryu Jujutsu of Takeda Family, which seems to me more traditional and pure than present Aikido of different styles.

Levan
Old 03-12-2001, 08:25 AM   #12
REK
Hey, Jun, what about Hombu? I have always wanted to go. Should I be cautious?

Does anyone know if Yamaguchi Sensei is still around? I believe that is who Gleason Sensei (Shobu Aikido of Boston) trained with.

I would definitely see Saito and Kuroiwa, if I could.

Regards,
Rob

Old 03-12-2001, 09:12 AM   #13
akiy

Quote:
REK wrote:
Hey, Jun, what about Hombu? I have always wanted to go. Should I be cautious?
I think Aikikai Hombu dojo is definitely worth a trip for everyone. They have good training there, of course, but I just don't feel very drawn back to the place.
Quote:
Does anyone know if Yamaguchi Sensei is still around? I believe that is who Gleason Sensei (Shobu Aikido of Boston) trained with.
Seigo Yamaguchi sensei passed away in 1996.

-- Jun

Old 03-15-2001, 06:38 PM   #14
Mike Collins
United_States
I'd like to train in Hombu to see Doshu's class, that is the base technically; I'd like to train with Kato Hiroshi sensei either at Hombu or at Suginami Aikikai, he is the teacher I most connect with, and the one I am the least likely to physically imitate; I'd like to train at Shingu at least once with Hikitsuchi sensei, though it'd probably kill me, aerobically, he is my teachers' teacher and it is part of where my Aikido comes from; I'd like to train with Anno sensei at his dojo, or at Shingu, same reason as Hikitsuchi, but I also thought he was a remarkably warm human being; I wish I could go to Japan for several months with someone who was fluent and train my big a$$ off, literally.

Maybe when I retire.

[Edited by Mikey on March 15, 2001 at 06:43pm]
Old 03-16-2001, 09:43 AM   #15
akiy

Quote:
Mikey wrote:
I'd like to train with Kato Hiroshi sensei either at Hombu or at Suginami Aikikai, he is the teacher I most connect with, and the one I am the least likely to physically imitate
I don't think Kato sensei teaches at Aikikai Hombu dojo, but maybe you can catch him and really train with him when he comes to train on Friday night at Hombu dojo? It was interesting to see him just training there...

-- Jun

Old 03-16-2001, 09:58 AM   #16
Mike Collins
United_States
Yeah, that was what I meant. It'd be pretty cool to get an hour of hands on. I doubt I'd be doing any throwing, but I'd get me some lessons.
Old 03-16-2001, 10:13 AM   #17
akiy

Quote:
Mikey wrote:
Yeah, that was what I meant. It'd be pretty cool to get an hour of hands on. I doubt I'd be doing any throwing, but I'd get me some lessons.
Oh, I'm sure you'd be nage for a while. But, it would probably be like the time I trained for an hour with my teacher during someone else's class at a seminar -- he threw me four times, then he let me throw him four times. It really was kind of like being uke four times, and then being uke again four times (if you know what I mean)...

-- Jun

Old 03-16-2001, 03:01 PM   #18
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Nariyama is probably one of the top Aikido teachers period of his generation. You have to remember that Tomiki sent him to be Kobayashi 's uchideshi in Osaka where he stayed until he had an Aikiaki Honbu 5th dan. In effect he was taught long term by Ueshiba's first and last uchi-deshi. He is a powerful vigorous teacher and Aikidoist in his mid 50s - if you know Chiba you have some idea of his style.

However, the dojo is not set up for casual visitors especially if you are not familiar with the system. To get on the mat you pay the initial membership fee (not cheap) and they are classes like any other. It is possible to get special lessons but again these are normally for long term practitioners of the style.

The dojo is smaller and more intimate than the Aikikai Honbu. I have never had trouble having someone observe a class.

Quote:
Sam wrote:
I am going to the Tomiki Hombu in Osaka to learn for 3 months under Nariyama Shihan this August. I am going becasue nowhere teaches better Tomiki aikido, I know a few people who train there and also because the Hombu has an intensive training schedule for visitors with limited time in the country. One day I would love to visit the Yoshinkan Hombu as I have admired the style for a long time, but perhaps I will have to wait until I have the resourses to get me out there a second time!

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-05-2001, 10:32 PM   #19
MAX
Dojo: koshingu
Lightbulb AIKIDO IN JAPAN?

[quote]Gene McGloin wrote:
[b]This was my list when I was there last year, but it would've been way too expensive to train in each dojo!

In Tokyo (which is a REALLY big place): Yoshio Kuroiwa sensei, Aikikai Hombu (Endo, Arikawa, Watanabe ss. especially), Kobayashi sensei's dojo.

Nishio sensei! Don't remember where he teaches. I think he's outside of Tokyo.

Iwama: I wouldn't plan on doing much else than aikido in Iwama, though.

Kyushu: Sunadamori sensei's dojo.

Shingu: Hikitsuchi sensei's dojo.

Best Regards,
Gene

MAX.
I am currently in Japan travelling around and would like to train at the Hombu in Tokyo for a few days towards the end of my trip.Can you tell me how to get to the Aiki shrine in Iwama as i would like to visit this also before my JR pass runs out.
Also what do you think about the Amenotakemusujuku Dojo In Osaka which is run by ABE SENSEI..??

There is only one Aikido!O'Sensei's.!
MAX....
Old 04-06-2001, 03:15 AM   #20
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hi Max!

Man I wish I was you....
I just remebered that I have read on http://www.Aikidoonline.com in the Tokyo Notebook by L. Klein, that forigners with no prior arrangement risk a very hostile reception i Iwama.
Quote:[/quote]But don't make the mistake me and a Spanish friend did last year of visiting Iwama on any other day of the year. The shrine is closed and the Iwama dojo people chased us away from the gate like we were selling something or had some kind of disease. Neither of us had ever been literally shooed out of a dojo complex before. Go figure. [/quote]
I don't want to deter you from going, but perhaps it would be a good idea to get some kind of letter of recomandation or perhaps even an appointment with someone there before you go.

For directions on how to find the shrine check out: http://www.iwama-ryu.dk/main/Map.htm

Happy Trails in Japan!

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 04-06-2001, 04:01 AM   #21
MAX
Thumbs down IWAMA

Quote:
JJF wrote:
[b]Hi Max!

Man I wish I was you....
I just remebered that I have read on http://www.Aikidoonline.com in the Tokyo Notebook by L. Klein, that forigners with no prior arrangement risk a very hostile reception i Iwama.
Quote:
But don't make the mistake me and a Spanish friend did last year of visiting Iwama on any other day of the year. The shrine is closed and the Iwama dojo people chased us away from the gate like we were selling something or had some kind of disease. Neither of us had ever been literally shooed out of a dojo complex before. Go figure. [/quote]
I don't want to deter you from going, but perhaps it would be a good idea to get some kind of letter of recomandation or perhaps even an appointment with someone there before you go.

For directions on how to find the shrine check out: http://www.iwama-ryu.dk/main/Map.htm

Happy Trails in Japan! [

MAX..
Cheers mate for your reply.I`ll have to look into it.I`m travelling around a bit at the moment but will be heading for the Hombu in about 10 days,so perhaps they will be able to arrange something.Sounds like you had a bit of a game yourselves last year.What day did you go on then?Is it closed year round?

/B][/quote]

MAX....
Old 04-06-2001, 04:26 AM   #22
MAX
Re: IWAMA

Quote:
MAX wrote:
[b]
Quote:
JJF wrote:
Hi Max!

Man I wish I was you....
Quote:
But don't make the mistake me and a Spanish friend did last year of visiting Iwama on any other day of the year. The shrine is closed and the Iwama dojo people chased us away from the gate like we were selling something or had some kind of disease. Neither of us had ever been literally shooed out of a dojo complex before. Go figure.

Happy Trails in Japan! [

MAX..
Cheers mate for your reply.I`ll have to look into it.I`m travelling around a bit at the moment but will be heading for the Hombu in about 10 days,so perhaps they will be able to arrange something.Sounds like you had a bit of a game yourselves last year.What day did you go on then?Is it closed year round?

Also,what do you think about writing to the Dojo now,to see if its ok!
/B][/quote]
[/quote]

MAX....
Old 04-06-2001, 06:43 AM   #23
Gene McGloin
Re: AIKIDO IN JAPAN?

Quote:
MAX wrote:
I am currently in Japan travelling around and would like to train at the Hombu in Tokyo for a few days towards the end of my trip.Can you tell me how to get to the Aiki shrine in Iwama as i would like to visit this also before my JR pass runs out.
Also what do you think about the Amenotakemusujuku Dojo In Osaka which is run by ABE SENSEI..??

Hi Max,

I don't recall which JR line out of Tokyo it is. Can't be too difficult as there are a limited number of trains running north through Ibarakiken. I picked up the train from Tokyo in Tsuchiura and Iwama is four stops after that. Hope that helps. Never made it to Osaka, so can't say anything about Abe sensei's dojo, sorry.

Regards,

Gene McGloin
Old 04-07-2001, 03:48 AM   #24
MAX
Talking Re: Re: AIKIDO IN JAPAN?

Quote:
Gene McGloin wrote:
Quote:
MAX wrote:

Hi Max,

I don't recall which JR line out of Tokyo it is. Can't be too difficult as there are a limited number of trains running north through Ibarakiken. I picked up the train from Tokyo in Tsuchiura and Iwama is four stops after that. Hope that helps. Never made it to Osaka, so can't say anything about Abe sensei's dojo, sorry.

Regards,

Gene McGloin
THANKS GENE!!
I dont suppose you have an e mail address for the Hombu Dojo at all?
Cheers!!

MAX....
Old 04-07-2001, 07:56 AM   #25
Gene McGloin
Max,

http://www.aikikai.org is the url I know of for the aikikai hombu dojo. My wife told me this morning that the JR line to Iwama is the Joban line out of Ueno station. The dojo is walking distance from the train station, but I don't think I could give accurate directions. Just ask for directions at the kissaten or maybe even at the station itself.

I would also concur with others who have posted that you should have some form of an introduction to the Iwama dojo prior to arriving there! I just wanted to see the dojo & shrine, take a few pictures and I was met with a chilly reception from a European student whom I would guess was dojo sempai or something like that. The one American guy there the day I stopped by wouldn't even speak to me while the Euro. guy was around!

Gambattene,

Gene McGloin

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches