PDA

View Full Version : Aikido vs Krav Maga?

Please visit our sponsor:

john2226
01-12-2003, 10:32 AM
I got to thinking about this. I put a post on another forum about this and got little response. I thought if I try it here it would get more input. Now this post isnt Aikido VS KM. Not the way it seems anyway. Im new at aikido and am interested in all martial arts and defense systems. Aikido is what I choose however. anyway a lot of KM people swear its the best thing going. They also say that Aikido and other MA's take years to learn and use effectively. They also say aikido might not work if someone is to aggressive or has any traing in fighting of their own. Now I dont believe that. Aikido is meant to use aggression against the agressor. The more aggressive they are the worse it is for them. They also say you can learn and apply KM in 10 to 12 weeks. That seems like a very short time to learn something. I havent tried it though so i cant say for sure.Im not saying one is better than the other. It seems many people who train in KM think it is the best. What are you thoughts on all of this?

Lyle Bogin
01-12-2003, 10:44 AM
KM is good, basic self defense. A civilian version of military training. It's good to know.

Kevin Wilbanks
01-12-2003, 01:00 PM
All that 'best' talk sounds like promotional hype to me. It's comparing "apples and oranges", each is a different type of endeavor for different purposes. Aikido is a complex and subtle art that takes a lifetime to master, and there can be way more to it than fighting and self defense if you choose to explore it. KM, on the other hand, appears to be a simple, efficient method of learning to hurt people really badly in the minimum amount of time.

bob_stra
01-12-2003, 01:35 PM
anyway a lot of KM people swear its the best thing going.
So, basically, you're saying that J.Lo is now a bad ass having studied KM? ;-)

(show of hands - does that stroke anyone's devious erotic fantasies or what? ;-)

KM is not the best thing going. Nothing is the *best thing* going. Best for what, anyway?

Or, as I like to misquote Ali

"I am the grey - test"

(BTW KM is routinely ridiculed by MMA folk and others who engage in randori.)

john2226
01-12-2003, 02:11 PM
I didnt mean it was the best. I was paraphrasing what others have said.:)

Hand up!!!!! for JLo that is ;)

PhilJ
01-12-2003, 03:07 PM
I read somewhere that there really are few things considered as the "ultimate" martial art. Nuclear weapons come to mind, guys with guns, etc. What we do is somewhere a little lower on that list. ;)

There's nothing wrong with learning technique which is immediately applicable, nor learning from an art that touts itself as "the best".

The real tragedy, though, is when someone believes the exaggerated claim (not you, John) and wagers his/her own life, or the life of someone they care about. This isn't just a poor choice, it's dangerous.

A lot of MA's train in black/white -- i.e. useful for fighting. Aikido shows us black and white, but it really shows us how little there is of that, and how much of the world is just gray.

*Phil

opherdonchin
01-12-2003, 04:23 PM
A lot of MA's train in black/white -- i.e. useful for fighting. Aikido shows us black and white, but it really shows us how little there is of that, and how much of the world is just gray.Nicely put.

ze'ev erlich
01-12-2003, 11:33 PM
I practiced Krav Maga for 20 years and now I only practice and teach Aikido.

Here is my opinion:

Krav Maga and Aikido are two different worlds.

If you decided to dedicate yourself to Aikido but you practice Krav Maga at the same time, sooner or later you will feel that something goes wrong.

Krav Maga usually gives very aggressive solutions. In Krav Maga you practice a lot of striking and kicking and always practice defenses against real street situations of all kinds.

Aikido training goes far beyond "self-defense". It takes you to a completely different spiritual level.

It is good to know how to defend yourself, and if you really wish to learn it quickly I recommend on Krav-Maga. But if you are interested in all that Aikido offers you, I recommend on concentrating only on Aikido.

pointy
01-13-2003, 02:13 AM
I think that what Ze'ev said was very well stated.

i would like to add that Aikido is very healthy. It may not be the best cardio workout (it aint bad either), but there's a lot of stuff going on that has got to be really good for a person.

peace

evan

Ta Kung
01-13-2003, 03:44 AM
I get the feeling that who ever you ask, they'll say that what ever they are practising, is the "best". Nothing strange about that, if you think about it... if they thought something else was "better",they'd start practising that instead.

ze'ev erlich
01-13-2003, 05:12 AM
best for me, not best for all

I think this is the better attitude...

(for me)