Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-12-2003, 11:32 AM   #1
john2226
Aikido vs Krav Maga?

I got to thinking about this. I put a post on another forum about this and got little response. I thought if I try it here it would get more input. Now this post isnt Aikido VS KM. Not the way it seems anyway. Im new at aikido and am interested in all martial arts and defense systems. Aikido is what I choose however. anyway a lot of KM people swear its the best thing going. They also say that Aikido and other MA's take years to learn and use effectively. They also say aikido might not work if someone is to aggressive or has any traing in fighting of their own. Now I dont believe that. Aikido is meant to use aggression against the agressor. The more aggressive they are the worse it is for them. They also say you can learn and apply KM in 10 to 12 weeks. That seems like a very short time to learn something. I havent tried it though so i cant say for sure.Im not saying one is better than the other. It seems many people who train in KM think it is the best. What are you thoughts on all of this?
Old 01-12-2003, 11:44 AM   #2
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
KM is good, basic self defense. A civilian version of military training. It's good to know.

"The martial arts progress from the complex to the simple."
Old 01-12-2003, 02:00 PM   #3
Kevin Wilbanks
All that 'best' talk sounds like promotional hype to me. It's comparing "apples and oranges", each is a different type of endeavor for different purposes. Aikido is a complex and subtle art that takes a lifetime to master, and there can be way more to it than fighting and self defense if you choose to explore it. KM, on the other hand, appears to be a simple, efficient method of learning to hurt people really badly in the minimum amount of time.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
bob_stra
Australia
Re: Aikido vs Krav Maga?

Quote:
John Carbone (john2226) wrote:
anyway a lot of KM people swear its the best thing going.
So, basically, you're saying that J.Lo is now a bad ass having studied KM? ;-)

(show of hands - does that stroke anyone's devious erotic fantasies or what? ;-)

KM is not the best thing going. Nothing is the *best thing* going. Best for what, anyway?

Or, as I like to misquote Ali

"I am the grey - test"

(BTW KM is routinely ridiculed by MMA folk and others who engage in randori.)

Last edited by bob_stra : 01-12-2003 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:11 PM   #5
john2226
I didnt mean it was the best. I was paraphrasing what others have said.

Hand up!!!!! for JLo that is
Old 01-12-2003, 04:07 PM   #6
PhilJ

Dojo: Aikido Bukou
I read somewhere that there really are few things considered as the "ultimate" martial art. Nuclear weapons come to mind, guys with guns, etc. What we do is somewhere a little lower on that list.

There's nothing wrong with learning technique which is immediately applicable, nor learning from an art that touts itself as "the best".

The real tragedy, though, is when someone believes the exaggerated claim (not you, John) and wagers his/her own life, or the life of someone they care about. This isn't just a poor choice, it's dangerous.

A lot of MA's train in black/white -- i.e. useful for fighting. Aikido shows us black and white, but it really shows us how little there is of that, and how much of the world is just gray.

*Phil

Last edited by PhilJ : 01-12-2003 at 04:17 PM.

Phillip Johnson
Enso Aikido Dojo, Burnsville, MN
An Aikido Bukou Dojo
http://www.aikidobukou.com
Old 01-12-2003, 05:23 PM   #7
opherdonchin
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
Quote:
A lot of MA's train in black/white -- i.e. useful for fighting. Aikido shows us black and white, but it really shows us how little there is of that, and how much of the world is just gray.
Nicely put.

Yours in Aiki
Opher
Old 01-13-2003, 12:33 AM   #8
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel
It's comparing "apples and oranges"

I practiced Krav Maga for 20 years and now I only practice and teach Aikido.

Here is my opinion:

Krav Maga and Aikido are two different worlds.

If you decided to dedicate yourself to Aikido but you practice Krav Maga at the same time, sooner or later you will feel that something goes wrong.

Krav Maga usually gives very aggressive solutions. In Krav Maga you practice a lot of striking and kicking and always practice defenses against real street situations of all kinds.

Aikido training goes far beyond "self-defense". It takes you to a completely different spiritual level.

It is good to know how to defend yourself, and if you really wish to learn it quickly I recommend on Krav-Maga. But if you are interested in all that Aikido offers you, I recommend on concentrating only on Aikido.

Last edited by ze'ev erlich : 01-13-2003 at 12:35 AM.

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 01-13-2003, 03:13 AM   #9
pointy
Dojo: aikido of park slope
I think that what Ze'ev said was very well stated.

i would like to add that Aikido is very healthy. It may not be the best cardio workout (it aint bad either), but there's a lot of stuff going on that has got to be really good for a person.

peace

evan
Old 01-13-2003, 04:44 AM   #10
Ta Kung
I get the feeling that who ever you ask, they'll say that what ever they are practising, is the "best". Nothing strange about that, if you think about it... if they thought something else was "better",they'd start practising that instead.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:12 AM   #11
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel
best for me, not best for all

I think this is the better attitude...

(for me)

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!