PDA

View Full Version : Aikido does not work against dogs!!

Please visit our sponsor:

drew-jitsu
06-27-2006, 10:34 PM
BJJ is superior when facing non-human opponents. If you had to fight a dog, aikido would not work because you couldn't grab the dogs wrist as easy due to their height. However, using BJJ, you could easily submit a canine as demonstrated in the following link.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28834

Before anyone jumps me, yes this is a joke.

shadowedge
06-28-2006, 04:47 AM
Goodness! Anti Dog grappling! What'll they think of next??? :)

villrg0a
06-28-2006, 05:17 AM
Wrong! Gozo Shioda used to practice with his dog.

TigerJK
06-28-2006, 06:40 AM

yup. Dogs are awesome. Running with dogs is excellant training.

dps
06-28-2006, 07:18 AM
Did his dog start his own style of Aikido (Aikido Dog). :)

ajbarron
06-28-2006, 08:22 AM
I have two dogs and practice with them all the time.

I find that if I lead their minds then Aikido is very effective. The Bichon Shitzu, a dog with much mind, is the perfect foil for an Aikido practitioner, but the Labrador , a wondrous dog with a great temperament and little brain, tends to lead by mass verses grey matter and techniques tend to fail.

I continue to work on the one of " Many Hairs Shedding" but at 12 and a half years of age (the dog's age not mine) hope fades.

Cheers

With apologizes the Lab owners but as they say " to know your lab is to accept your lab for what it really is; the most loyal, affectionate best family dog one can own that has only two brain cells that sometimes communicate and at other times don't "

Jonathan Han
06-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Kiai works well on dogs. It stops their barking. Anything more might get the SPCA to come visiting.

Dogs are great.

billybob
06-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Hmmmm.

.........and what of cats?

dave

Ron Tisdale
06-28-2006, 10:28 AM
I remember a golden lab that used to get so excited he'd run in circles in and out between a group of trees and occationally miss and hit one. Head on.

But other than that, he was a very bright dog. :)

Best,
Ron

billybob
06-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Gosh Ron, For a second I thought you were describing he Randori for my last test........

Ruff!

:)

dave

villrg0a
06-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Did his dog start his own style of Aikido (Aikido Dog). :)

Yes he did :) Visit his dojo, Kuta Kinabalu, East of Java. :D :D

Don_Modesto
06-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Gosh Ron, For a second I thought you were describing he Randori for my last test........

I want to see the video.

Ron Tisdale
06-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Nah, Don, you want to take the ukemi! ;)

B,
R

billybob
06-28-2006, 03:30 PM
want to see the video. - Don Modesto

cruel sir. deeply cruel.

however. i have a copy. i may be able to figure out how to email the data. i certainly do not know how to 'web' it.

it is a randori done by a very wounded old lion, very tired, who, at least, had his wits about him.
grade was 'pass'

david

ksy
06-28-2006, 10:26 PM
dogs rae great for aikido training. i try to tenkan my dog (uke) when we are playing and tis great fun!

Don_Modesto
06-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Nah, Don, you want to take the ukemi!
Ha! Hoisted on my own petard!

- Don Modesto

cruel sir. deeply cruel.

however. i have a copy. i may be able to figure out how to email the data. i certainly do not know how to 'web' it.

Failing that, you can show me next time I'm up.

xuzen
06-29-2006, 09:17 PM
ANTI-GRAPPLING is when dog start licking your ears and face with it's tongue. Yewl!!!

Lucy Smith
06-29-2006, 10:59 PM
If you had to fight a dog, aikido would not work because you couldn't grab the dogs wrist as easy due to their height.
But when would you want to be uke for a dog??? :confused:

My Sensei told me a few stories of Aikido in "real life" one day I went to visit his dojo before I decided to join in. One of them was about him defending against a dog. He didn't immobilize the dog, but kept throwing it away. He had a knife with him but couldn't draw it cos the dog kept coming with no pause. He said he would have kill it, it was his life or the dog's, and guess which one he chose. At last the dog's owner took control over it. Lucky dog. One second hesitation, knife out.

RebeccaM
06-30-2006, 12:10 AM
I
With apologizes the Lab owners but as they say " to know your lab is to accept your lab for what it really is; the most loyal, affectionate best family dog one can own that has only two brain cells that sometimes communicate and at other times don't "
I had a lab once. He was nuts, but he wasn't exactly stupid. He was just completely hyper. Maybe if we lived on a farm where he could run and run and run he would have been calmer, but as it was he was so wound up that unless I managed to tire us both out with several hours of bushwhacking he showed no sign of intelligence whatsoever.

I never saw him run into a tree though.

Mark Uttech
06-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Gozo Shioda trained with dogs to study their movements. He did the same thing with goldfish!
I have practiced irimi/tenkan movements with a billy goat, but there is no special technique; the only words that come to mind are: "Look Out!"

TigerJK
06-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Hmmmm.

.........and what of cats?

dave

In my experience they rarely attack first until you really get in there and they feel super-threatened (as in you attacked first) so I don't think it would work as well.

Unless of course you mean a lion, tiger, or other large cat :D

TigerJK
06-30-2006, 07:22 PM
If you had to fight a dog, aikido would not work because you couldn't grab the dogs wrist as easy due to their height.

*slaps self in head*

I just realized the major error which would contradict all naysayer.

Aikido is not about just the wrists and it is certainly not about grabbing at unavailable wrists. Of course this is just a joke but even if you can't use "dojo techniques" you can certainly use applications of both techniques and even just major principles

emma.mason15
07-02-2006, 04:22 PM
do dogs even have "wrists?"

billybob
07-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Hmm.

Jujitsu? If you are ever on your back with the dog bearing down on your tender throat - find the place
under the dog's ears behind their jaw and dig in your fingers hard as you can. Hurts.

dave

dps
07-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Hmm.

Jujitsu? If you are ever on your back with the dog bearing down on your tender throat - find the place
slightly in front of the dog's ear, parallel to the ear canal, and rub. They love this and will stop whatever they are doing.

emma.mason15
07-03-2006, 04:10 PM
you do all realise what your saying is wrong ... in many many ways!

billybob
07-05-2006, 11:42 AM
:p

James Davis
07-05-2006, 03:20 PM
you do all realise what your saying is wrong ... in many many ways!
and Emma should know. ;)

mriehle
07-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Dogs respond to attitude.

This is important to remember!

Lee Mulgrew
07-06-2006, 04:34 AM
actually, nikyo works on my dog really well as does ear-riminage! she's a springer spaniel and she does a full flip landing on her feet again with this technique (the only problem is that she attacks again before I can get get ready, which results in her doing slobbernage on me!) very wet and messy :drool: :yuck:

billybob
07-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Mike Riehle Dogs respond to attitude. this is important to remember

(Has scars to prove it)

:)

david

Rocky Izumi
07-10-2006, 09:48 AM
BJJ is superior when facing non-human opponents. If you had to fight a dog, aikido would not work because you couldn't grab the dogs wrist as easy due to their height.

However, it is easy for another dog to grab a dog by their "wrist."

I watched my Springer Spaniel male do a kotegaeshi on a Doberman once. A nasty Doberman entered the kennel of our Springers, one male, one female. They ran around it until the female nipped the Doberman in its haunches. As the Doberman wheeled around, the male dove under the Doberman while grabbing the forepaw on the other side of the Doberman and continued to roll. The Doberman flipped over the male Springer as I heard the bones snapping in its foreleg. The Doberman was down on the ground on its back with the male on its thoat and the female clamping on to its haunches before I made it into the kennel. I called the Springers off before I went to the Doberman which was half unconcious. It didn't even growl at me when I picked it up and carried back to the neighbor's house. I warned them that I wouldn't stop the dogs next time the Doberman came over into our yard, then apologized for the broken leg. The Doberman survived but it never left its yard again. It used to attack letter carriers and other people but it seems the beating cured it of its aggressiveness. It never really regained the full use of its foreleg either. Too bad. It was a nice looking dog. Just stupid and too aggressive before the beating. I later heard that the Doberman nipped the neighbor's nephew and the neighbor shot the dog. I guess that neighbor really never should have owned a dog (dogs seem to reflect the personality of the owner).

Another dog I owned did a really great randori against three larger dogs once and another one did a kokyu-nage against a larger dog that was beautiful. I will leave those stories for another time.

Yes, I do practice Aikido with my dogs, throwing them around with iriminage and kokyu nage. It is great practice for Suwari-waza.

Rock

cguzik
07-10-2006, 11:57 AM
I had a dog (a boxer I think it was) going for my arm one time and using a kokyu nage motion to lead its energy, caused it to flip itself head over tail onto its back. It looked very surprised. Dogs are great to observe from the standpoint of studying balance because they have four points of contact with the ground, not just two as we do.

Cesar Millan is an expert at dog aikido. He is very good at leading a dog's energy such that he is unattackable from the first encounter. He takes the dog's psychological balance with his calm assertive energy and never gives it back. It's a truly amazing thing to watch.

http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/dog-whisperer.php

David Paul
08-20-2008, 10:17 AM
whats up with people fighting dogs? Cookies or perhaps sliced up hot dogs or even peanut butter work really well against dogs.

Alexander Lee
08-26-2008, 07:59 AM
When I was bored I decided I would annoy the neighbour's dog and practiced evasion and breakfalls from an agressive opponent.

Andrew S
08-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Yonkyo to the snout.evileyes

Aikido won't work against cats, as they are too selfish and just absorb all the energy of the universe.:D