View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #103
TheAikidoka

Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo UK - mid sussex martial arts school
England
Re: How to be non-competitive in a competitive world

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Andrew, your example of irimi nage. No issues with the example. However, you say you can CHOOSE peace in the moment. Sure, that is compassion. However, it does not, IMO, demonstrate the elimination of the competitive mind. It demonstrates that nage acknowledges the situation and responds to it appropriately and chooses to be ethical somewhere on the spectrum.

However, lets back up a little. Why should nage engage at all? If he is not trying to preserve something important to him (competition) then why would he need to do anything? Why not stand there and simply accept uke's will imposed on him?

On religion: I think you are correct in your statements about most organized religions dealing in the future and on fear. However, there are religious institutions and practices that do "preach" on the concept of present mind. I do however, think you are generally correct in your take on this.

I appreciate your example of how you believe Aikido fulfills this "missing part of religion". For me, however, as a somewhat Non-religious person as would be consider by the average "religious" person, it is detached from religion and really has nothing to do with religion whatsoever. However, everyone is free to find spiritual and religious meaning where ever they find it.

I do agree that it is a requirement to be in the present in Budo as well. However, budo also is concerned about the past and future as well.
There is no past, there is no future, this is Fact. You do not compete, by finishing the opponent in the sense he so completely injured, he may have to go to hospital, he does not get maimed, he does not die, he does not lose, so you do not lose.
yes you can do all these things damage injure maim kill disable, but once you do, there is no going back, you cannot undo what has been done, You also cannot easily undo what has happened in You. So make it as peaceful an encounter, peaceful I think is the wrong word, Kinder is more to where I`m going, but you can have full domination of the situation, but not the opponent.

Thus no competing: look what your about to do to me with that big knofe how dare you attack me in such a way. BANG trapped in competition, and if you have the skill will probably utterly destroy the opponent. There is Another way. Non-competing.

you preserve life. not go onto to commit to death, death of spirit that is you. You the peace under which all situations/moments Occur

Andy B

Last edited by TheAikidoka : 03-02-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Added more text. for clarity