View Single Post
Old 06-19-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Regarding Bokuto

Quote:
Arman Badalyan wrote: View Post
Could you please illuminate me regarding the following question. Some weeks ago I ordered on-line High Quality Oak Short Bokuto (55 cm) Black, but my sansei said that I have need to order more longer one or vise versa shorter. Could you please explain me how to use that bokuto ? How I can make it useful ?

Thank you in advance,
Dear Arman,
Is the weapon ordered 55cm in total length[ie including hand grip ]?If so its far too short.Almost like a short sword[Wakizashi ]. You need to find a longer Bokken.There are multi types of Bokken , ranging from very heavy ones , these are usually used for suburi hitting rubber tyres .These are not multi purpose ones.Too heavy .The thinner and lighter ones are more useful. Kashima type ones [rounded, squared offf tip]and ones fashioned from Shinai [Kendo type ] with extra padding have their uses as well.So what do you want to use the weapon for?Identify your needs then buy a suitable weapon.You should try and find someone near you who stocks swords.Even if the bokkens look the same, usually they vary in weight, balance etc,A sword which suits me may not suit you.Try handling a few.You will know when the item is the one for you.It will feel good .Do not buy junk.Cheers, Joe.