View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: YouTube: Christian Tissier at 2013 World Combat Games

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I kind of feel the same way. It's the kind of demo that is good in a dojo setting where you want to show idealized forms (kata - nage and uke roles) for students to emulate. But to show off the art and have an uke who is willing to stand, frozen in space, during the technical transitions rather than continually turn towards nage to at least try to continue to attack makes it look like a dance. I'm NOT talking about uke resisting or doing kaeshiwaza, just looking as alive and connected and moving as nage is.
Dear Janet,
Nice to note we appear to have a similar viewpoint.I have seen many of Mr Tissier's demos and quite frankly there are much of a sameness.I even think the gent with the grey hair is a longstanding uke for Tissier Sensei.I do not see any MARTIAL applications in his work.Neither did I see any real commitment to give a genuine attack.It reminded me of an old flicker instructions you got in the old days , where you flicked the pages and the figures seemed to move.It was for the first part a series of srop /start waza.I reckon Tissier Sensei didnt even break sweat nere .Too clinical by half.Reminded me of a Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers dance.I guess I will be seen as a heretic or worse , but you call the shots as you see them.So whether people agree with me or not, I stand by viewpoint.Cheers, Joe.