View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #138
MM
United_States
Re: Don't waste your time practicing AIKIDO

Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote: View Post
Whoever said this knows nothing about real fights! All fights end up with someone grabbing someone! Even in boxing matches, when one fighter is tired or gets tired of being hit, he grabs the other guy in order to stop him for a minute or to catch his breath.
I would imagine that there is a lot of grabbing in fights, from temporary to longer holds. But, then again, that's just an uneducated guess.

Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote: View Post
Always remember that many of O'Sensei's students were already very skilled in other arts when they went to become his student! You think about that now.....
And no amount of that skilled martial experiences from those same students helped them, at all. Which is why they became students. Yet, rarely is that given any thought or weight. The thread subject, if we were really talking about Ueshiba's aikido, should really be "Don't waste your time practicing any martial art other than AIKIDO". People who could fight, had backgrounds in judo, jujutsu, kendo, kenjutsu, boxing, karate, etc all seemed to think Takeda, Ueshiba, Sagawa, etc were doing something completely different than what they experienced. Why is it that no one thinks about that?

Instead, people take their Modern Aikido experience, equate it to what Ueshiba was doing, and everyone just thinks that Modern Aikido is another form of same old, same old martial arts. Yet, historically, those same students of Ueshiba who are upheld as a gold standard had all kinds of other martial art backgrounds/experiences and they stated Ueshiba was doing something different. Yet, no one thinks about that?

Quote:
Chris Evans wrote: View Post
Not "all" real fights, but many: About 60% or so goes to the ground is my guess, not counting sporting fights, and a higher % involves grabbing.
I doubt that's accurate. I don't think there have been any studies on it, either. The only study done that I know of was in Law Enforcement and of course, a high percentage go to the ground. UFC/MMA can't be used as an example, because part of their rules allow for ground submissions. By the very nature of the sport, it's going to have ground work in it. The opposite would be boxing, which has no rules allowing ground work, so there is little percentage of boxing going to the ground. Sport is sport. Law enforcement is law enforcement. None of those are going to replicate "real life".

Besides, grabbing someone is not equivalent to going to the ground. Two different subjects.