Thread: Aikido for MMA?
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #22
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: Aikido for MMA?

Quote:
Chris Evans wrote: View Post
thank you for the information that lead me to this interesting site:

http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/2010/0...ion-sites.html
"...AIKIDO IN MMA
By Rik Ellis

I am a MMA / Aikido Cage Fighter..."

I'm interested in a local (Berkeley/Oakland) Aikido dojo that can integrate karate-do practices: Be able to work with kicks and punches (& their defenses) in an Aikido dojo. I think I can keep up with karate and attend an Aikido dojo about 3+ times per week.

They're plenty of karate-ka that pursue "delusional" karate for comfort and for health only (which is fine), but, if you're lucky, you can find enough advanced students that want to learn complete, a more truthful and practical, karate in some dojo: I assume Aikido to be the same, human nature being reliable, that they're Aikido dojo with some Aikido-ka that will work with "sharing" pain and managing fear, from "pressure" testing.

Dear Chris,
Read Rik's article.He is a chip from an old block inasmuch as he sounds like his dad .I know Mr Ellis , he is a good fiend of mine.He often states that there are Plastic Samurai going around nowadays.All I can say is this , if you have trained for years with Sensei like Tamura, Chiba Sensei, Saito Sensei etc I think its safe to say you are not a shrinking violet when confronted by potential aggressive people.Of course no one sensible tries to get involved in a skirmish, however if you do happen to be involved in one, no point in doing orthodox?aikido waza.Just keep it simple.A well delivered hit or a short kick to a kneecap usually works a treat.Cheers, Joe.