Old 01-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #24
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: "Principle" of Gokyo

Hi

Quote:
Maarten De Queecker wrote: View Post
What do those japanese phrases mean? Isn't gokkyo a knife disarming technique?
Ikkyo through gokyu build up the basic system of katame waza or osae waza in most of aikido styles.
First they are used in tai jutsu. So gokyo first and foremost is not a disarming technique but the fifth of the basic pins.

Second all of those pins are also used in buki dori i.e. tanto dori (not nikyo and yonkyo in our aikido), jo dori (not gokyu in our aikido), tachi dori (not gokyo in our aikido).

Quote:
Shareef Muhammad wrote: View Post
OK! Nobashi is something like "stretch", if that's the case, I don't see how that applies to the gokkyo technique.
Gokyo is a derivat of ikkyo. It's not only that the grip at the wrist is reversed but gokyu much more debends on the stretched elbow.
So gokyo is doing ikkyo with a streched elbow. It can be done omote and ura.

Corresponding:
Hiji kime osae or rokkyo ist doing nikyo ura with a stretched elbow. So the palm is up.

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
I learned another pin in Iwama style but cannot find that pin in the "Takemusu Aikido" series by M. Saito. Basically just prior to pinning the arm flat on the mat the inner knee is down out the outer knee is up and uke arm is captured but the raised knee and pressure is put on the elbow.
We end up this way in ikkyo ura from chudan tsuki.

That's how see the things.

Carsten