View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #1219
CSFurious
United_States
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

very true

however, all martial arts systems including Aikido are ultimately false (this idea comes from a book called "Living the Martial Way")

as to no other experience, the first martial art that i trained in was Aikido so i can unequivocally state that i did not even begin to really understand Aikido until i started training in Daito-ryu (4 years after i started Aikido); as to JKD, that taught me how to be an offensive martial artist which i would submit the majority of Aikido dojos leave out of their curriculums

anyway, i think that i am qualified to say that Aikidoists who have either trained or train in other martial arts are going to have a greater understanding of the combat-applications of dojo Aikido

that experience can include basically any other martial art but Aikido, e.g., high school wrestling, judo, boxing, Muay Thai, Silat, Kali, Karate, etc.

Quote:
Michael Gallagher wrote: View Post
Funny you should say that, because my thinking about Aikido since coming back has been informed by my experince in the JKD universe, specifically Sifu Dan's mantra of "No one art has all the answers but everything has something to offer." Aikido has something to offer. Figuring out what that is is another matter! Simple idea, but a lot of work to realize it.

Maybe .... but neither of us is a Aikidoist with no other experience, so neither of us can really say one way or the other.

Last edited by CSFurious : 05-01-2008 at 02:22 PM.