View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 05:38 AM   #126
DonMagee
United_States
Re: What technique would you apply to neutralize Brazilian Jujitsu attacker

Quote:
Paul Sanderson-Cimino wrote: View Post
Perhaps I should clarify -- what I meant was ways to incorporate something that serves in the place of atemi even when no striking is allowed. Like, if katamochi nikkajo works better if you distract them before applying the lock, and traditionally one uses a strike to distract them, maybe there's a substitute for use in a pure grappling contest.

In no way was that a veiled, "Aikido would work if there was atemi!" remark, which would be complete wankerism.
The problem is that bjj has to be 100% usable in its practiced form. A fake or pretend strike is going to have 0 effect because we know you can't strike in grappling competition. If you want to learn strikes in grappling, then use strikes. The whole fake striking thing always irks me. I can plainly see the person is not going to hit me, so why bother defending. I know he wants a response to use against me, so I will not give him one. But if he hits me in the face, he gets a response no matter what.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein