View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #1204
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Baseline skillset

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Yeah, Mike said it in post #1169:
"Silk Reeling is a form of movement with qi/ki and jin/kokyu-power. That's all it is."
Chih already summed up what I have to say about this.
Youre missing the point and misunderstanding what I meant.
But if it helps Ill spell it out, Reeling silk is "a" form of kokyu/jin/qi use, there are others.

Quote:
Mike used it as an equivalent term. Otherwise, why even mention it? It's his effort at obfuscation....etc.
No not really, actually he made the distinction before in several other posts here on Aikiweb, if anything hes been consistent in his definition

Quote:
And you reinforce my point that Reeling Silk is a highly refined and developed Chinese concept that is not found in the Japanese arts. That's all I said. There was no reason to mention "pulling silk" if it isn't related, was there?
Its related so far as qi/jin/kokyu skills are related

Quote:
If Mochizuki said I understood aikido "pretty completely," then no one else's judgment (based on comments on a message board) really impresses me.
Well I dont think I need to say anything about that comment, it speaks for itself.
But beyond that, if you're going by that logic, the only person you could receive absolute affirmation would be Ueshiba, as far as Aikido goes anyways.

Anyways we could play that game all day.
In fact I could one up you by taking a couple quotes from Sagawa who said that anyone that described the skill of Aiki in philisophical terms as being "soft in the head" and "being so hoplessly stupid they could never dream to achieve aiki in 10,000 years."
Does that invalidate Mochizukis skill?
No.
But you should be able to understand whats going on in your body without relying on someone else's terms.
(Just my opinion on that matter)

You keep on dodging the question David...you wont describe the body skills in a coherent manner.

Quote:
Well, your site and discussions revolve around rooting and the equalization of forces, front and rear, side-to-side and up-and-down. The old ways of training were a slow way to enforce those awarenesses throughout the body and to train them. The new ways, largely revolving around competition (for judo at least), destroy those balances by developing tokui to an extreme.
Unfortunately I understand the direction youre coming from and thats not it. It has nothing to do with being tokui, or not tokui, about training the sides equally in order to balance the body etc.
I could practice one side only and still develop the six directions.
Of course its wouldnt develop the otherside as much, but it would still be there. Youre discussing the neurological aspect more if you ask me.

Quote:
Whatever I have developed of them (enough to easily do aiki age on a judo godan, at least) has come without even thinking of them as separate skills, so they would have developed without specific jargon or rationalizations.
Lets put it this way, if you understand the specific components that need to be worked on, maybe you could make the "next" leap in terms of skill.
All guys thatre accomplished and have these skills that ive met know exactly what theyre working on in their body.
JMA or CMA, doesnt matter.
Anyone that says, well I just do it without thinking about knowing what I was working on I call BS.
Its like a physicist saying, well I worked out xxx theory kind of naturally. I never really knew what I was working on, but as a by product I have complete mastery over it now.

It doesnt work that way.

Sure you might inately grasp some aspects of the theory but youll never be able to fully utilize or develop it.

Quote:

When has anyone talked about any kind of "qi development" without relying first and foremost on alignment of the body, grounding and tanren?
I dunno, tanren seemed to be a pretty new idea to a lot of members on this board.

Anyways, hopefully youll be able to conjure up a decent response, sans the mochizuki nutriding and explain things in your own terms .