AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2534)

Usagi 09-07-2002 08:23 PM

Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night

1 Attachment(s)
Ontem, 06 de setembro de 2002(24:30), em virtude de uma parada cardíaca acompanhada de complicações respiratórias, meu pai nos deixou...

Yesterday, september 6th(00:30), due to a heart attack followed by respiratory complications, my father left us...

Ubaldo Castilho de Alcântara (conhecido tambem como Kallikrates ou Yamantaka) foi durante toda sua vida um apaixonado pelas artes e pela vida.

Ubaldo Castilho de Alcântara (a .k. a. Kallikrates, Yamantaka ) was , during all his lifetime, in love with arts and life.

Envolvido com artes marciais desde a infância (iniciando-se pelo JuJutsu Japonês com mestre Biuza aos 14 anos), veio a se tornar mais conhecido através do TaeKwonDo (modalidade que ajudou a oficializar no Brasil), tendo experimentado todas as que estivessem a seu alcance, não por querer ser uma "máquina de combate", mas pela paixão e curiosidade de aprender.

Conected to martial arts since his childhood ( initiated through japanese JuJutsu, with master Biuza when he was 14), became known thrgough the art of Tae KwonDo (which he helped to officialize in Brazil), having experimented with all arts at his reach, not to become a "killing machine", but simple because of his passion and curiosity to learn.

Leitor compulsivo, devorava tudo que estivesse a seu alcance, desenvolvendo uma impressionante cultura geral e capacidade de pesquisa.

Compulsive reader, would devour all that was at his reach, developing an amazing scope of knowledge and research skills.

Se estou hoje envolvido em artes marciais, sua influência é inquestionável e fundamental.

If i am envolved in martial arts, his influence is beyond questioning and certainly a cornerstone.

Sua visão de "arte pela arte" e da "cultura e habilidade caminhando juntas" moldaram não só meu treino, mas essencialmente meu caráter.

His vision of "ars gratia ars" and "Culture and skill walking side-by-side" molded not only my training, but above all, my character.

Além de seus filhos (eu, meu irmão Adriano e minha irmã Magda), sua vida tocou uma infinidade de vidas, através de seu exemplo e seus atos.

Along with his children (me, my brother Adriano and my sister Magda), his life touched an infinity amount of others, through, example and deeds.

Por dar um valor extremo a sua dignidade, não atingiu a "glória e a fortuna" que são normalmente vistos como a insígnia do sucesso...

As a person that gave great value to his dignity, he didin't reached "fortune and glory" that so often are seem as the badges of success...

Não, seu único troféu foi o direito de olhar todo e qualquer homem nos olhos , de cabeça erguida.
No, his only trophie was to be able to look at any man right in the eye and be able to stand with his head held high.

Jamais me recuperarei de sua ausência...me conforta porém, saber que muitos são os amigos a me apoiarem nesse momento de dor e muitos são os que partilham dessa saudade que nunca há de se esvair...

I shall never recover from his absence...my source of comfort is to know that many are the friends to support me in this moment of grief and many are those who share these sense of loss that shall never fade...

Renato Alcântara
Salvador, 07 de setembro de 2002

P.S.: here is the last picture of him, in my brother's graduation, smiling...

akiy 09-07-2002 08:31 PM

Renato,

My sincerest condolensces to you, your family, Ubaldo's friends, and his loved ones.

His love for aikido was evident in every message that he posted here and elsewhere (Aikido-L, Aikido Journal). His memory will not fade here.

He will be missed.

With sympathy,

-- Jun

rachmass 09-07-2002 08:49 PM

I am so sorry for the loss of your father. Please accept my condolences.

Rachel Massey

Peter Boylan 09-07-2002 08:52 PM

Renato,

I'm deeply saddened to hear this. I've spent quite a lot of enjoyable time corresponding with your father about all aspects of budo, and I will miss those discussions with him very much. You have all my sympathy and tears.

With sorrow,

Peter Boylan

Paula Lydon 09-07-2002 08:53 PM

Renato,

I have stood where you are and know that words can only convey so much. I will stand in that place with you now, in heart and spirit. We are all held in the Light and bound together, in the flesh or beyond.

Yours in Aiki~~

SeiserL 09-07-2002 09:11 PM

Deepest condolences and compassion to you and yours.

Until again,

Lynn

PeterR 09-07-2002 09:17 PM

I share Peter's sentiments. I am shocked by the suddeness have only recently communicated privately with him. I have lost a friend, debating partner, michi brother.

My sympathies to you and your family. I am truely saddened.
Quote:

Peter Boylan wrote:
Renato,

I'm deeply saddened to hear this. I've spent quite a lot of enjoyable time corresponding with your father about all aspects of budo, and I will miss those discussions with him very much. You have all my sympathy and tears.

Chuck Clark 09-07-2002 09:44 PM

Renato,

What a shock! I echo the sentiments of the others for you and all of your family.

I enjoyed several years of communication with Ubaldo and will miss his wit, heart, and love of budo. He was a friend and will be missed.

My heart goes out to you all.

Sincerely,

tedehara 09-07-2002 11:56 PM

I am sorry to hear of your father's passing. My deepest condolences for you and your family.

He will be much missed.

Bronson 09-08-2002 12:12 AM

Renato,

My condolences and sympathy go out to you and yours.

Bronson

SimonW11 09-08-2002 03:58 AM

Renato,

I miss him and I knew him only through the internet How more must you miss him.

My regrets and condolences.

Simon

MaylandL 09-08-2002 04:10 AM

Hello Renato

Please accept my deepest sympathies and condolences for your loss.

Aikilove 09-08-2002 04:50 AM

May your father rest in peace...

paw 09-08-2002 04:54 AM

Renato,

I'm deeply saddened by this. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

andrew 09-08-2002 07:33 AM

My condolences also..

andrew

Jim ashby 09-08-2002 07:57 AM

My deepest sympathy.

James.

Peter Goldsbury 09-08-2002 10:55 AM

Dang! I am so sorry Ubaldo has gone from us so soon.

For the few years I have posted on this bulletin board I have come to know Ubaldo as a sharp but gentle critic, but more especially as a good friend. I was so much looking forward to meeting him in person next year.

Alas, this is not to be. However, I am sure, Renato, that your father has taught you all you need to continue training in you dojo in the best possible way.

In the meantime, please accept my deepest sympathy.

Yours sincerely,

Peter A Goldsbury

lt-rentaroo 09-08-2002 11:15 AM

I echo what everyone else has said; I'll truly miss reading your father's posts here and on other forums. My deepest condolences.

deepsoup 09-08-2002 02:17 PM

My condolences also.

He will be greatly missed.

Sean

x

Bruce Baker 09-08-2002 04:36 PM

Although I did not personally know your father, we did have some interesting posts online. I had considered his opinions to be that of a much younger man. Maybe that is what is was... in his heart and soul.

I hope his spirit can travel to meet our friends who have passed into the energy of the universe, sometimes called heaven. From this time forth, I shall remember him for the man on earth, and I will remember him as being reborn in heaven, where he can meet and talk to all the great spirits who have left this earth.

My sorrow is for your loss, but my heart smiles when I think of his spiritual rebirth.

I pray his spirit will watch over all of us.

JohnDavis 09-08-2002 05:31 PM

Renato,

Please accept my most sincere condolences on the passing of your father, as well as that of the Intermont Aikido Club of Virginia Intermont College, of which I'm the founder.

I enjoyed your father's posts on Aikido-L these past few years. His were always thoughtful, insightful and educational (and not too unusually fun).

May his memory be a blessing to you.

John

Shoshin 09-08-2002 07:18 PM

Renato:

Lamento mucho la pérdida de tu padre. Espero que encuentres paz en ls buenos recuerdos de su vida.

Daniel NEVES

Centro de Difusión del Aikido

Argentina

Usagi 09-08-2002 09:41 PM

I want to thank to all of you.

Due to his health, my father was unable to do one of the things that he loved the most: to train!

Thanks to these forums, he was able to keep in touch with martial arts and contribute in some way.

You gave him something to keep his mind "sharp" for and direct his creative energy.

Every day he was eager to read your posts and bring them to me so we could spend long hours debating about our views of what he read :)

I am very sorry for those who didn't had the chance to meet him (specially Goldsburg Sama, that my father was so excited to meet next year).

I am not sorry for him; he lived the life he wanted and, in some degree, passed way as he choosed.

I am sorry for me, for the children i'll have (who will be unable to hear his jokes and laugh of his pranks), and for all who will have to live without his presence.

He will be forever in our hearts and memories.

All best

Renato

Abasan 09-08-2002 11:13 PM

I deeply regret not having the chance to know more of him and learn more from him. I'm sorry for your loss.

JJF 09-09-2002 03:11 AM

Could we all be so lucky as to have an all consuming interest and a loving family to fill our days with hope and joy.

He will be missed and I send you all my sincere condolences