Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-07-2002, 08:23 PM   #1
Usagi
Dojo: ShinToKai
Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night

Ontem, 06 de setembro de 2002(24:30), em virtude de uma parada cardíaca acompanhada de complicações respiratórias, meu pai nos deixou...

Yesterday, september 6th(00:30), due to a heart attack followed by respiratory complications, my father left us...

Ubaldo Castilho de Alcântara (conhecido tambem como Kallikrates ou Yamantaka) foi durante toda sua vida um apaixonado pelas artes e pela vida.

Ubaldo Castilho de Alcântara (a .k. a. Kallikrates, Yamantaka ) was , during all his lifetime, in love with arts and life.

Envolvido com artes marciais desde a infância (iniciando-se pelo JuJutsu Japonês com mestre Biuza aos 14 anos), veio a se tornar mais conhecido através do TaeKwonDo (modalidade que ajudou a oficializar no Brasil), tendo experimentado todas as que estivessem a seu alcance, não por querer ser uma "máquina de combate", mas pela paixão e curiosidade de aprender.

Conected to martial arts since his childhood ( initiated through japanese JuJutsu, with master Biuza when he was 14), became known thrgough the art of Tae KwonDo (which he helped to officialize in Brazil), having experimented with all arts at his reach, not to become a "killing machine", but simple because of his passion and curiosity to learn.

Leitor compulsivo, devorava tudo que estivesse a seu alcance, desenvolvendo uma impressionante cultura geral e capacidade de pesquisa.

Compulsive reader, would devour all that was at his reach, developing an amazing scope of knowledge and research skills.

Se estou hoje envolvido em artes marciais, sua influência é inquestionável e fundamental.

If i am envolved in martial arts, his influence is beyond questioning and certainly a cornerstone.

Sua visão de "arte pela arte" e da "cultura e habilidade caminhando juntas" moldaram não só meu treino, mas essencialmente meu caráter.

His vision of "ars gratia ars" and "Culture and skill walking side-by-side" molded not only my training, but above all, my character.

Além de seus filhos (eu, meu irmão Adriano e minha irmã Magda), sua vida tocou uma infinidade de vidas, através de seu exemplo e seus atos.

Along with his children (me, my brother Adriano and my sister Magda), his life touched an infinity amount of others, through, example and deeds.

Por dar um valor extremo a sua dignidade, não atingiu a "glória e a fortuna" que são normalmente vistos como a insígnia do sucesso...

As a person that gave great value to his dignity, he didin't reached "fortune and glory" that so often are seem as the badges of success...

Não, seu único troféu foi o direito de olhar todo e qualquer homem nos olhos , de cabeça erguida.
No, his only trophie was to be able to look at any man right in the eye and be able to stand with his head held high.

Jamais me recuperarei de sua ausência...me conforta porém, saber que muitos são os amigos a me apoiarem nesse momento de dor e muitos são os que partilham dessa saudade que nunca há de se esvair...

I shall never recover from his absence...my source of comfort is to know that many are the friends to support me in this moment of grief and many are those who share these sense of loss that shall never fade...

Renato Alcântara
Salvador, 07 de setembro de 2002

P.S.: here is the last picture of him, in my brother's graduation, smiling...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adriano's graduation.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	82  

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and i- i took the one less traveled by,- and that has made all the diference!"
Old 09-07-2002, 08:31 PM   #2
akiy

Renato,

My sincerest condolensces to you, your family, Ubaldo's friends, and his loved ones.

His love for aikido was evident in every message that he posted here and elsewhere (Aikido-L, Aikido Journal). His memory will not fade here.

He will be missed.

With sympathy,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-07-2002, 08:49 PM   #3
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
I am so sorry for the loss of your father. Please accept my condolences.

Rachel Massey
Old 09-07-2002, 08:52 PM   #4
Peter Boylan
United_States
Renato,

I'm deeply saddened to hear this. I've spent quite a lot of enjoyable time corresponding with your father about all aspects of budo, and I will miss those discussions with him very much. You have all my sympathy and tears.

With sorrow,

Peter Boylan

Peter Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC
Budo Books, Videos, Equipment from Japan
http://www.budogu.com
Old 09-07-2002, 08:53 PM   #5
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
Renato,

I have stood where you are and know that words can only convey so much. I will stand in that place with you now, in heart and spirit. We are all held in the Light and bound together, in the flesh or beyond.

Yours in Aiki~~

~~Paula~~
Old 09-07-2002, 09:11 PM   #6
SeiserL

United_States
Deepest condolences and compassion to you and yours.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-07-2002, 09:17 PM   #7
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
I share Peter's sentiments. I am shocked by the suddeness have only recently communicated privately with him. I have lost a friend, debating partner, michi brother.

My sympathies to you and your family. I am truely saddened.
Quote:
Peter Boylan wrote:
Renato,

I'm deeply saddened to hear this. I've spent quite a lot of enjoyable time corresponding with your father about all aspects of budo, and I will miss those discussions with him very much. You have all my sympathy and tears.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 09-07-2002, 09:44 PM   #8
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Renato,

What a shock! I echo the sentiments of the others for you and all of your family.

I enjoyed several years of communication with Ubaldo and will miss his wit, heart, and love of budo. He was a friend and will be missed.

My heart goes out to you all.

Sincerely,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 09-07-2002, 11:56 PM   #9
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
I am sorry to hear of your father's passing. My deepest condolences for you and your family.

He will be much missed.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 09-08-2002, 12:12 AM   #10
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Renato,

My condolences and sympathy go out to you and yours.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 09-08-2002, 03:58 AM   #11
SimonW11
Dojo: Bristol University Dojo
Renato,

I miss him and I knew him only through the internet How more must you miss him.

My regrets and condolences.

Simon

Simon
Old 09-08-2002, 04:10 AM   #12
MaylandL
Hello Renato

Please accept my deepest sympathies and condolences for your loss.

Mayland
Old 09-08-2002, 04:50 AM   #13
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden
May your father rest in peace...

Jakob Blomquist
Old 09-08-2002, 04:54 AM   #14
paw
Renato,

I'm deeply saddened by this. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:33 AM   #15
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
My condolences also..

andrew
Old 09-08-2002, 07:57 AM   #16
Jim ashby
Dojo: Phoenix Coventry
My deepest sympathy.

James.

Vir Obesus Stola Saeptus
Old 09-08-2002, 10:55 AM   #17
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Dang! I am so sorry Ubaldo has gone from us so soon.

For the few years I have posted on this bulletin board I have come to know Ubaldo as a sharp but gentle critic, but more especially as a good friend. I was so much looking forward to meeting him in person next year.

Alas, this is not to be. However, I am sure, Renato, that your father has taught you all you need to continue training in you dojo in the best possible way.

In the meantime, please accept my deepest sympathy.

Yours sincerely,

Peter A Goldsbury

P A Goldsbury
Old 09-08-2002, 11:15 AM   #18
lt-rentaroo
I echo what everyone else has said; I'll truly miss reading your father's posts here and on other forums. My deepest condolences.

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 09-08-2002, 02:17 PM   #19
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo
My condolences also.

He will be greatly missed.

Sean

x
Old 09-08-2002, 04:36 PM   #20
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Although I did not personally know your father, we did have some interesting posts online. I had considered his opinions to be that of a much younger man. Maybe that is what is was... in his heart and soul.

I hope his spirit can travel to meet our friends who have passed into the energy of the universe, sometimes called heaven. From this time forth, I shall remember him for the man on earth, and I will remember him as being reborn in heaven, where he can meet and talk to all the great spirits who have left this earth.

My sorrow is for your loss, but my heart smiles when I think of his spiritual rebirth.

I pray his spirit will watch over all of us.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:31 PM   #21
JohnDavis

Dojo: None...None near me and I can't afford dues anyway.
United_States
Renato,

Please accept my most sincere condolences on the passing of your father, as well as that of the Intermont Aikido Club of Virginia Intermont College, of which I'm the founder.

I enjoyed your father's posts on Aikido-L these past few years. His were always thoughtful, insightful and educational (and not too unusually fun).

May his memory be a blessing to you.

John

Happy Shugyo,

John B. Davis
Old 09-08-2002, 07:18 PM   #22
Shoshin

Dojo: SEIKI Dojo
Argentina
Renato:

Lamento mucho la pérdida de tu padre. Espero que encuentres paz en ls buenos recuerdos de su vida.

Daniel NEVES

Centro de Difusión del Aikido

Argentina

Daniel "Shoshin" NEVES
Centro de Difusión del Aikido
Argentina
Old 09-08-2002, 09:41 PM   #23
Usagi
Dojo: ShinToKai
I want to thank to all of you.

Due to his health, my father was unable to do one of the things that he loved the most: to train!

Thanks to these forums, he was able to keep in touch with martial arts and contribute in some way.

You gave him something to keep his mind "sharp" for and direct his creative energy.

Every day he was eager to read your posts and bring them to me so we could spend long hours debating about our views of what he read

I am very sorry for those who didn't had the chance to meet him (specially Goldsburg Sama, that my father was so excited to meet next year).

I am not sorry for him; he lived the life he wanted and, in some degree, passed way as he choosed.

I am sorry for me, for the children i'll have (who will be unable to hear his jokes and laugh of his pranks), and for all who will have to live without his presence.

He will be forever in our hearts and memories.

All best

Renato

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and i- i took the one less traveled by,- and that has made all the diference!"
Old 09-08-2002, 11:13 PM   #24
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
I deeply regret not having the chance to know more of him and learn more from him. I'm sorry for your loss.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:11 AM   #25
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Could we all be so lucky as to have an all consuming interest and a loving family to fill our days with hope and joy.

He will be missed and I send you all my sincere condolences

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration