AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   One more iwamaivanovo! (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10593)

Paberu 07-01-2006 02:53 PM

One more iwamaivanovo!

Hi all, one more iwama style aikido in Russia video clip!
http://www.iwamaivanovo.ru/video/rbi_oyowaza.wmv

Good luck!

aikigirl10 07-01-2006 04:31 PM

Re: One more iwamaivanovo!

To me, it seems a little more choppy than the aikido i take, (which is traditional aikikai). There are long pauses in some of the techniques used, which makes it seem less effective, but on the other hand, it also seems more aggressive. Of course, i have no experience with this style of aikido so i really wouldn't know.

sullivanw 07-01-2006 08:42 PM

Cool to watch; it looks pretty hardcore. With my ukemi skills, I would end up being broken little pieces of Will all over the stage!!

-Will

Mark Uttech 07-01-2006 09:13 PM

I can just imagine the commentary at a sign language convention/seminar: "the signing of certain words was too choppy, the pauses between expressions were most unusual..." Hikisutchie Shihan put it rather bluntly one day: "When you see good aikido, you automatically know what bad aikido is..."

aikigirl10 07-01-2006 09:17 PM

Quote:

Mark Uttech wrote:
I can just imagine the commentary at a sign language convention/seminar: "the signing of certain words was too choppy, the pauses between expressions were most unusual..." Hikisutchie Shihan put it rather bluntly one day: "When you see good aikido, you automatically know what bad aikido is..."

wow, that sounded a little rude.... i even said i dont know much about this style... sorry i said anything...

villrg0a 07-02-2006 04:16 AM

Quote:

Paige Frazier wrote:
To me, it seems a little more choppy than the aikido i take, (which is traditional aikikai). There are long pauses in some of the techniques used, which makes it seem less effective, but on the other hand, it also seems more aggressive. Of course, i have no experience with this style of aikido so i really wouldn't know.

Could it be that the long pauses were intentionally done to give uke the chance to recover to execute a safe fall?

Mark Uttech 07-02-2006 05:19 AM

To Paige, I admit it did sound a little rude, so sorry. It was one of those 'automatic emotional responses' when we are taken by surprise with something we read or view. I dare to think that all
of us here on the internet find surprises like these: I've even given a poetic name to these surprises!
I simply refer to them as: "an arrow whistling in the dark." We act, and react, and sometimes we look back and are aghast at what we have done. What we really want to hear is someone telling us
"wow, you're lucky!"

mjchip 07-02-2006 07:15 AM

Again, some of the BEST aikido demonstrations I've seen.

Mark

Don_Modesto 07-02-2006 09:51 AM

Quote:

Pavel Ermilov wrote:
Hi all, one more iwama style aikido in Russia video clip!
http://www.iwamaivanovo.ru/video/rbi_oyowaza.wmv

Good luck!

I like some of the moves very much. He seems a solid player, and his folks take nice UKEMI.

As was mentioned once before when Russian aikido vids were uploaded--I'd guess they're the same guy--the stuff looks very carefully choreographed, a point I make because we're likely going to see the terms "realistic" creep up with such a...vigorous...style.

As to the choppiness, watch Isoyama for choppy, Tada, sometimes, too.

Chris Li 07-02-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Paige Frazier wrote:
To me, it seems a little more choppy than the aikido i take, (which is traditional aikikai).

What's "traditional aikikai"?

Best,

Chris

aikigirl10 07-02-2006 03:00 PM

Quote:

Christopher Li wrote:
What's "traditional aikikai"?

Best,

Chris

traditional aikido, is all i've heard it described as.

aikikai is the affiliation i believe

Chris Li 07-02-2006 06:05 PM

Quote:

Paige Frazier wrote:
traditional aikido, is all i've heard it described as.

aikikai is the affiliation i believe

Iwama style (as in the video clip) is also Aikikai.

"Aikido" itself is only a little over 60 years old, which seems (to me) to make any "traditional" labels sort of strange. Anyway, the Aikikai is an umbrella organization that covers many different styles of practice.

Best,

Chris

aikigirl10 07-02-2006 07:07 PM

Quote:

Christopher Li wrote:
Iwama style (as in the video clip) is also Aikikai.

"Aikido" itself is only a little over 60 years old, which seems (to me) to make any "traditional" labels sort of strange. Anyway, the Aikikai is an umbrella organization that covers many different styles of practice.

Best,

Chris

ok my bad about the aikikai part
As for the traditional label... it's just the original aikido that O sensei taught, with no sort of variations or anything... what would like me to call it chris?? I'll call it whatever u wish.

...jesus...

Chris Li 07-02-2006 07:28 PM

Quote:

Paige Frazier wrote:
ok my bad about the aikikai part
As for the traditional label... it's just the original aikido that O sensei taught, with no sort of variations or anything... what would like me to call it chris?? I'll call it whatever u wish.

...jesus...

The thing is, just about everybody (especially the Iwama style folks such as those in the video) claims that they are doing "the original Aikido that O sensei taught", but they're all doing things that are quite different.

Best,

Chris

aikigirl10 07-02-2006 08:51 PM

Quote:

Christopher Li wrote:
The thing is, just about everybody (especially the Iwama style folks such as those in the video) claims that they are doing "the original Aikido that O sensei taught", but they're all doing things that are quite different.

Best,

Chris

whatever... i really dont care... no offense

----- edit -----

here is a link to our dojo's website

http://www.kyowva-aikikai.freeservers.com/

it even says on there "this is a traditional aikido dojo" That's all i've been taught.. im sorry if it's not up to par

Chris Li 07-02-2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

Paige Frazier wrote:
whatever... i really dont care... no offense

----- edit -----

here is a link to our dojo's website

http://www.kyowva-aikikai.freeservers.com/

it even says on there "this is a traditional aikido dojo" That's all i've been taught.. im sorry if it's not up to par

It's not about being up to par, it's that exactly what "traditional" Aikido or "the Aikido of the founder" means is by no means clear, and has been a common subject for disagreement. For one viewpoint, try http://www.aikidojournal.com/article.php?articleID=34

Best,

Chris

aikigirl10 07-02-2006 09:59 PM

Quote:

Christopher Li wrote:
It's not about being up to par, it's that exactly what "traditional" Aikido or "the Aikido of the founder" means is by no means clear, and has been a common subject for disagreement. For one viewpoint, try http://www.aikidojournal.com/article.php?articleID=34

Best,

Chris

i would argue with u about that, i really would... but i just don't want to....

Paige ;)

Mark Uttech 07-02-2006 10:02 PM

wow. lots of arrows whistling in the dark tonight!

aikigirl10 07-02-2006 10:12 PM

Quote:

Mark Uttech wrote:
wow. lots of arrows whistling in the dark tonight!

and really ugly owls...
that wasn't a metaphor or anything.

;)

Chris Li 07-03-2006 01:54 AM

Quote:

Paige Frazier wrote:
i would argue with u about that, i really would... but i just don't want to....

Paige ;)

Yes, I know, you really don't care (or that's what you said above). But you ought to, or at least, I think so. For me, it's important to examine the historical roots of Aikido and Morihei Ueshiba as a part and parcel of Aikido training, and the issues raised around phrases like "traditional Aikido" touch upon many important historical issues (and many philosophical ones as well).

Anyway, I thought the demonstrations were quite good, although carefully choreographed (that's not a bad thing).

Best,

Chris

aikigirl10 07-03-2006 06:07 AM

Quote:

Christopher Li wrote:

Anyway, I thought the demonstrations were quite good

i agree

Pauliina Lievonen 07-03-2006 11:29 AM

What I REALLY want to know, though, is what Szczepan thought of this video? :D.D :P

kvaak
Pauliina

dps 07-03-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Pauliina Lievonen wrote:
What I REALLY want to know, though, is what Szczepan thought of this video? :D.D :P

kvaak
Pauliina

Yes, sir what do you think of this video compared to the video of the children's demonstration.? :)

NagaBaba 07-03-2006 12:31 PM

Quote:

Pauliina Lievonen wrote:

kvaak
Pauliina

You know Pauliina, for me aikido practice is not a circus or show. Demo to promote aikido must mirror daily practice, not develop false choreography like in the theatre.

That's why; in this video these guys miss completely the point. Also, they try to simulate 'real' attacks --- and it can be good for somebody who never saw a fight. However, it is very far from reality, so in that sense they cheat public that watch it.

From technical point of view, tori looks very stiff, by doing short, sharp movements he seems to believe that he can develop more power.His body doesn't move in the moment of a throw, it means that he does technique only with his hands. This way he can't release a real power. So uke must jump and help him to do a technique. I hope tori will progress in the future, but he will need a real Master.

Don_Modesto 07-03-2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Christopher Li wrote:
Yes, I know, you really don't care, etc.

Chris, you are a patient man. My congratulations and admiration.