AikiWeb Aikido Forums

AikiWeb Aikido Forums (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   A question of style (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23738)

Greg Jennings 07-23-2014 10:25 AM

Re: A question of style

Quote:

Szczepan Janczuk wrote: (Post 338479)
cheers Nagababa (added in by Greg)

Szczepan,

You are, metaphorically, urinating into the prevailing wind. Let people find their own reality. They will anyway and it'll save you heartburn.

Demetrio Cereijo 07-23-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Peter Rehse wrote: (Post 338468)
All the time. What makes you think I don't. In fact - the gist of your posts is the underlying presumption that no one but yourself as any insight into the matter.

Fine then.

As Greg has just said, let people find their own reality...

... until reality finds them.

Chris Raihl 07-23-2014 01:45 PM

It is very sad that people who do not train anymore come here only to imply that that others are possibly wasting their time and are potentially future victims. If in your mind Aikido does not help build enough martial fortitude for you to defend yourself or your loved ones why burn the calories polluting other peoples pool of tranquility?

Demetrio Cereijo 07-23-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Christopher Raihl wrote: (Post 338485)
It is very sad that people who do not train anymore come here only to imply that that others are possibly wasting their time and are potentially future victims.

Wondering if you are adressing me, for the cause of me leaving aikido is well known and has nothing to do with the art itself or its value as budo.

Quote:

If in your mind Aikido does not help build enough martial fortitude for you to defend yourself or your loved ones why burn the calories polluting other peoples pool of tranquility?
What's wrong with burning calories? Anyway, bursting bubbles is not very demanding in this aspect.

NagaBaba 07-23-2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

Greg Jennings wrote: (Post 338482)
Szczepan,

You are, metaphorically, urinating into the prevailing wind. Let people find their own reality. They will anyway and it'll save you heartburn.

Are you trying to attack me personally instead of discussing a topic?

ken king 07-23-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Szczepan Janczuk wrote: (Post 338491)

He's saying that coming here, throwing the "aikido isn't a self defense platform" into everyones face isn't going to get you anywhere here. It's been argued a thousand times on this forum, as a member since 2002 you should know this. Let it go buddy, no one wants to try to convince someone who has already made up their mind.

kewms 07-23-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Demetrio Cereijo wrote: (Post 338436)
I think I've seen you on the mat on video. Is this you?

Yes.

Katherine

robin_jet_alt 07-23-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Katherine Derbyshire wrote: (Post 338497)
Yes.

Katherine

I'm impressed. It's always nice to see people in action. It really puts what they say in perspective. I wish I had hip throws that were half as good as yours, and I also really like the recovery on the bungled one.

kewms 07-23-2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Robin Boyd wrote: (Post 338498)
I'm impressed. It's always nice to see people in action. It really puts what they say in perspective. I wish I had hip throws that were half as good as yours, and I also really like the recovery on the bungled one.

Thank you. (We need a "bow" emoticon...)

Hip throws are one area of aikido where strength really does help. Not because you're trying to pick the person up -- ideally, you're not -- but because being confident and stable is absolutely critical.

The one that I bobbled was very frustrating: I made the exact same mistake many times in preparation, and thought I had finally fixed it. :( I'm glad the recovery didn't show that. :D

Katherine

Greg Jennings 07-24-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Szczepan Janczuk wrote: (Post 338491)

I'm not attacking you, Stephan.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, though my personal opinion is, at least somewhat, aligned with yours on this topic...I think.

I'm simply telling you that, in my experience, you're wasting your time. I think that there is a huge body of evidence to support that opinion.

dps 07-24-2014 12:44 PM

The addition of atemi to any style of Aikido will give you an effective defense.
I suggest learning the basics of boxing and bagua to add with your style of Aikido.

dps

Chris Raihl 07-24-2014 01:57 PM

There are no "basics" in Bagua anymore than there are really any basics in Aikido.

sorokod 07-24-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

David Skaggs wrote: (Post 338520)
The addition of atemi to any style of Aikido will give you an effective defense.
I suggest learning the basics of boxing and bagua to add with your style of Aikido.

dps

Don't think there is such a thing as an "addition" operation for martial arts.

lars beyer 07-24-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Demetrio Cereijo wrote: (Post 338487)
Wondering if you are adressing me, for the cause of me leaving aikido is well known and has nothing to do with the art itself or its value as budo.

What's wrong with burning calories? Anyway, bursting bubbles is not very demanding in this aspect.

Maybe itīs just me Demitrio, and Iīm merely basing my claim on what I have read in your posts from time to time so I might be wrong, but I doesnīt sound like you left aikido altogether ?

Regards
Lars

Greg Jennings 07-25-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

David Skaggs wrote: (Post 338520)
The addition of atemi to any style of Aikido will give you an effective defense. <snip>

Not commenting on the relevancy of it, but atemi is definitely included in aikdo. It is just that some people and teachers drop it from their personal aikido.

Greg Jennings 07-25-2014 08:10 AM

Quote:

Christopher Raihl wrote: (Post 338524)
There are no "basics" in Bagua anymore than there are really any basics in Aikido.

Please explain.

I might be looking at "basics" from a different perspective.

Throwing some meat out there for discussion, here is a link:

http://blog.aikidojournal.com/2012/0...tanley-pranin/

Whether you agree or disagree with his thesis, Stan Pranin is always worth paying attention to. We are blessed to have a historian in aikido.

PeterR 07-25-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Greg Jennings wrote: (Post 338543)
Please explain.

I might be looking at "basics" from a different perspective.

Throwing some meat out there for discussion, here is a link:

http://blog.aikidojournal.com/2012/0...tanley-pranin/

Whether you agree or disagree with his thesis, Stan Pranin is always worth paying attention to. We are blessed to have a historian in aikido.

I have issues with the no basics in Aikido also.

We have basic drills, exercises, waza. Lots and lots of basics.

Chris Raihl 07-25-2014 10:20 AM

Certainly,

Allow me to explain further. I responded to this post;

"dps The addition of atemi to any style of Aikido will give you an effective defense.
I suggest learning the basics of boxing and bagua to add with your style of Aikido."

Which suggest that adding an art that is very elusive as Baguazhang to ones Aikido might enhance it which is no more true as saying "adding some basic of Aikido will help X style".

What someone might call basics I would call fundamentals. There is a difference (at least in my humble mind) between the ability to attend a weekend kick boxing class and learning to punch a bag after a couple of weeks ( basic but effective) verses anything in Bagua or Aikido. Like Aikido Bagua is considered a hard / soft style that has a lot of moving parts and subtle components.

Please understand that I claim no mastery to any style - my exposure to Bagua is but 2 years under Sifu Wing Lam, but merely sharing my perception.

Perhaps I have inadvertently highjacked this thread which I must apologize to the OP for.