PDA

View Full Version : Tips for testing?

Please visit our sponsor:

tenshin_uke
03-07-2006, 02:15 PM
This coming weekend I will be testing for my next rank. I've been trying to stay healthy and keep my energy up. Does anyone have any advice on what to eat, what not to eat, to maximize my energy?

Thank you in advance for any help,
Mark

tarik
03-07-2006, 02:23 PM
This coming weekend I will be testing for my next rank. I've been trying to stay healthy and keep my energy up. Does anyone have any advice on what to eat, what not to eat, to maximize my energy?

Thank you in advance for any help,
Mark

If you haven't already set up training and eating patterns, this is not the time to change them. It takes time for your system to adjust to such changes.

What normally works for you to get your energy levels up?

Tarik

tenshin_uke
03-07-2006, 02:50 PM
I have been training for almost one year now, but there are times where I feel like my energy is just not 'up'. Last year I modified my eating and in the past 8 months i've lost about 50 pounds. I train at least three times a week, but I'm afraid that I feel like I'm getting a little worn down. I'm just looking for tips on things that I can eat or definitely stay away from so i can have the most energy.

Thanks,
Mark

tarik
03-07-2006, 02:56 PM
I have been training for almost one year now, but there are times where I feel like my energy is just not 'up'. Last year I modified my eating and in the past 8 months i've lost about 50 pounds. I train at least three times a week, but I'm afraid that I feel like I'm getting a little worn down. I'm just looking for tips on things that I can eat or definitely stay away from so i can have the most energy.

What you describe sounds very similar to what I experienced in my first few years on the mat, including the losing 50+ pounds.

You may be over-training a bit if you're training every day or nearly every day. Try taking a couple days off before your exam and getting lots of sleep. Rest is just as important as the exercise.

As to food, I cannot give great advice since I am an iconoclast and eat whatever I want. My take is that there isn't an unprocessed food that is bad for you as long as you eat the appropriate amount.

If you've been paying attention enough to your diet and training to lose 50 pounds in 8 months, you already have an idea how you feel after over-eating or eatng certain foods. Avoid those that made you feel lethargic or cause a longer recovery period.

There ARE some general rules, but each person is slightly different that way, as I can eat things that destroy other people's energy levels and vice versa.

tarik
03-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Ok, let me just add...

Eat more protein and cut down in carbs the few days before your exam. Don't eliminate anything, just change your emphasis.

Sleep is still more important than exactly what you ate.

Steve Mullen
03-07-2006, 04:17 PM
my advice is, the day before, spend the day before doing whatever you want, except training, then, on the day ask a few of yur fellow aikidoka to let you throw them about a bit. you might find it interesting to go throughthe basics with the newest person in your class as you will have to do it right and controled to aviod hurting them.

As for the food bit, i have no idea :)

SeiserL
03-08-2006, 11:44 AM
IMHO, eat normally. Any drastic changes in your diet, good or bad, may be upsetting to the system.

Nick Simpson
03-08-2006, 11:50 AM
I like a bacon sandwhich and coffee. But thats possibly not very sensible...

MaryKaye
03-08-2006, 05:54 PM
The best test-prep I ever did:

I was taking ukemi for some rank beginners, and getting a bit tired of the technique, so I thought "I am just going to work on my breathing, and make *sure* I breathe at the appropriate points." After a solid hour it was getting somewhat more automatic.

Next day sensei surprised me with my third kyu test, and I was only winded whereas my much younger rankmate was gasping. I highly recommend this exercise--taking ukemi from an easy, soft throw, over and over, and just monitoring and correcting your own breathing pattern.

Mary Kaye