PDA

View Full Version : Bill Witt Sensei Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

akiy
08-19-2005, 03:42 PM
From: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/08/19/PNGILE8JK61.DTL

Bill Witt, Palo Alto

By day, I am a mild-mannered mechanical engineer. By night, I put on a gi and hakama and practice the Japanese martial art of aikido. It has been an enjoyable avocation for 38 years now. It clears my mind, keeps my body flexible, and prevents mayhem at work. What more can I ask?

-- Jun

Mark Uttech
08-19-2005, 06:15 PM
thanks for posting this. It is wonderful. In gassho

MM
08-19-2005, 06:29 PM
For those of us near the East Coast, Witt sensei will be in the area for a seminar. At least according to here:
http://aikicommunications.net/wittseminar2005.html
With any luck, I'm hoping to make it.

Mark

senshincenter
08-19-2005, 07:40 PM
This might be a good contrast - (I think it is, but) maybe not - still, either way, it's worth quoting:

By Ellis Amdur (many thanks)

"There is a beautiful Hassidic story which I'll try to paraphrase without the names, which I've forgotten. A present day teacher says, "The 1st master went into the forest and sang the songs and said the prayers. His student lost the way to the forest, but he remembered the songs and said the prayers, and it was enough. His student forgot the songs but remember the prayers and it was enough. We no longer know our way to the forest and we have forgotten the songs, and we say the prayers, but no longer remember the exact words, and it is enough"

In my opinion, when thinking of the incredible vitality of the original Hassidism, and comparing it to the schlerotic, narrow, rigid fanaticism of today's sects, it is not enough. The teacher is responsible to teach, and the students responsible NOT to be satisfied to have such a wonderful teacher, so that the prayers, the songs and the way to the forest are preserved. To make it obvious, I see aikido in the same light."

NixNa
08-20-2005, 07:51 AM
I'm glad Witt Sensei has found peace and solace in what he loves. I'm sure this will be particularly encouraging to hear for some of us who virtually exist just for stressful day jobs.. ahhh~ how nice, an evening of aikido...