PDA

View Full Version : Covington, Virginia Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

Jory Boling
07-31-2005, 10:02 PM
Hi folks,
i'll be in Covington, Virginia next week for work and wonder if there are any dojos out there that aren't showing up on the dojosearch.
anybody?
thanks
Jory

jimbaker
08-01-2005, 07:59 AM
Hey Jory,

Covington appears to be the butt end of nowhere as far as Aikido is concerned. I think the closest places are in the Lynchburg area.

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk

Kevin Leavitt
08-02-2005, 01:16 PM
I am from Lynchburg...Not living there now...but I know of no one in Lynchburg that does aikido. Charlottesville...yes...several good people. If you want info let me know! Yea Covington is about where you say it is!

Kevin Leavitt
08-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Oh...I know of a great Tai Chi guy in Lynchburg. Studied in China for about 10 years.....highly recommended....Matt Miller.

BenjaminH
08-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Hello,

I recently joined a club here in Roanoke VA at the Brambleton teen center. Great bunch of people. Roanoke is about an hour away from Covington straight down Rt 220. I can give directions if you'd like. We work out every saturday from 0900 'till 1230.

There is also a Nihon Goshin Aikido school in Salem but I doubt they practice Saturdays.

Kevin Leavitt
08-02-2005, 11:06 PM
http://www.mindbodyusa.com/studio/

Matt Miller if you are wondering about Tai Chi

BenjaminH
08-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Kevin,

Does he do push hands?

As you probably know finding a Real Tai Chi school in these parts is hard to do.

Are you in 82nd Airborne?

Kevin Leavitt
08-04-2005, 11:45 AM
i only really worked with him 1 time and we worked on posture ad nauseam. It was good stuff...i thought I knew alot about posture from aikido...but learned that I didn't!

He did study in China for 9 years and he is a very humble guy and in it for the right reasons. I'd check him out. Tell him I said hi!

No, 82d Airborne is in North Carolina, unless they are deployed. I am stationed at the Combat Maneuver Training Center in Germany with the Opposing Forces (OPFOR) that trains troops to go "down range".

j0nharris
08-09-2005, 11:11 AM
A bit late to the party, but...
We're in Blacksburg at VA tech. Drop me a note, as we practice a couple of nights a week.