PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Reasons Why You Joined Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

Ulises Garcia
06-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Hello gang!

Here's another idea for a top 10 list:

Top 10 Reasons Why You Joined Aikido.

10.- You always wanted to beat someone up in a peaceful manner.
9.- You're girlfriend asked you to be one with her, so you thought that you might as well be one with the universe.
8.- You thought that MMA were too girly.

Ok guys, keep'em coming... ;)

U.

Andrew Rangecroft
06-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Becuase they go round in gangs were i live and attack you for the fun of it, so my reason is because i like breathing, yes i could run away from it but, then all the other gangs join in, there like wolve's round here, see something running and they got to chase it.

Drew Scott
06-02-2005, 03:07 PM
6 - Here, grab my wrist...

RebeccaM
06-02-2005, 03:52 PM
5 - Now grab my lapel...

Lan Powers
06-02-2005, 04:43 PM
No, No, grab like THIS....sheesh, grab right, why-dontcha?
:)
Lan

Aristeia
06-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Like many beginners, you attacked me wrong.

giriasis
06-02-2005, 07:49 PM
4. To learn to use The Force.

Larry John
06-02-2005, 08:11 PM
5. 'Cause I've always wanted to wear chaps, and my sensei told me that hakama are just the Japanese version.

maikerus
06-02-2005, 08:44 PM
...joining Aikido was more socially acceptable than becoming an axe murderer :crazy: :)

stuartjvnorton
06-02-2005, 08:51 PM

I know 1 or 2 who I'm sure started it because they secretly (or not so secretly) wanted to be Jedi when they grew up...

awh
06-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Top 10 Reasons Why You Joined Aikido.

I got a new job where half the company are aikidoka. I was afraid during heated discussions in staff meetings. :D

malsmith
06-02-2005, 09:33 PM
cause my sister told me stories of when she was my age my father abused her.... so i figured id get ready for him!

xuzen
06-02-2005, 09:51 PM
I got a new job where half the company are aikidoka. I was afraid during heated discussions in staff meetings. :D

Hey Drew,

Think on it from the bright side, your company can save on the security bills... and that will be favourable to the said company bottom-line which in effect will be good for your year end bonus, ain't it? :p

Boon.

awh
06-02-2005, 11:41 PM
which in effect will be good for your year end bonus, ain't it?

Oh, I assumed that the year-end bonus would be "not getting yonkajo'ed at the Christmas party".

- awh

Sonja2012
06-03-2005, 12:36 AM
...because beating each other up on the mat is cheaper than couple´s therapy ;-) (I started with my husband).

bbleeker
06-03-2005, 05:34 AM
Because the ukemi looks way cool!

Tim Gerrard
06-03-2005, 05:45 AM

Learning to use your face :uch:

Nick Simpson
06-03-2005, 05:52 AM
Cos I got to hit geeks.

Tim Gerrard
06-03-2005, 06:10 AM
Cos I got to hit geeks.

Cos I got to hit Nick

:D

giriasis
06-03-2005, 07:32 AM
I know 1 or 2 who I'm sure started it because they secretly (or not so secretly) wanted to be Jedi when they grew up...

:::whistle while looking up and around like 'who me?'::::

Who's talking about when they grew up? ;) Oh...wait... I haven't grown up yet -- well, not literally that is. ;)

happysod
06-03-2005, 08:14 AM
its cheaper than medication
its a bit more energetic than darts
it gives me something to bore the pants off people with at parties
I also failed the ninja entrance test (couldn't find the damn door)

Pauliina Lievonen
06-03-2005, 08:23 AM
'Cause aerobics is boring, and I look better in baggy clothes anyway. :D

Actually I took one aerobics class last year, in exchange for a friend taking an aikido class with me. The only sports clothes I own are my keikogi, so I wore the pants and a t-shirt...looked kinda odd between all the skinny leotards. :) The friend btw loved our warm ups and found the throwing each other part boring, how odd is that???

kvaak
Pauliina

Jory Boling
06-03-2005, 08:53 AM

Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought my sensei looked like jedi the first time i watched a class...

Ulises Garcia
06-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Whew! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought my sensei looked like jedi the first time i watched a class...

Would that make Daito-Ryu the way of the Sith? :D

DustinAcuff
06-03-2005, 11:33 AM
LOL! I would have to say Judo or JuJitsu would be the Dark Side. Hmm...Yoda = O Sensei and Kano Sensei = Darth Sidious?????

Ulises Garcia
06-03-2005, 01:01 PM
LOL! I would have to say Judo or JuJitsu would be the Dark Side. Hmm...Yoda = O Sensei and Kano Sensei = Darth Sidious?????

Mmmh, that IS interesting. O-Sensei was real short and had a long beard, while Yoda wasn't exactly a giant and he bore serious side burns...mmmh LOL! :D

Ok, just to stay in thread:

?.- All other dance studios were full. ;)

Keith_k
06-03-2005, 01:34 PM
So I practice hapkido... does that make me an evil Sith Lord?
Cool! You can call me Darth Tweekum. Can't wait till they teach to choke by telekinesis and shoot lightning.

Eric Webber
06-03-2005, 02:00 PM
2. Target shooting, motorcycles, and working at a prison just weren't exciting enough, I had to push the envelope and start running around in a skirt and pajamas.

Master_Zwiefte
06-04-2005, 06:32 AM
because defending yourselves with pain is more fun. especially because aikido doesnt leave things behind, only a bit red skin.
because my friends are giving me the nickname "the psychopate", and each they call me that people are looking :)

ad_adrian
06-06-2005, 07:42 AM
cause steven seagal does aikido:P and he looks hell as good

Ulises Garcia
06-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Because of the (very respectfully) wonderful babes of Aikido. There is something about a girl who could kick my @$$... ;)

MaryKaye
06-06-2005, 02:48 PM
'Cause we have Intro classes full of cute college guys, and when sensei calls me up and says "This is what you can do with a bit more experience" and tosses me around like a rag doll, I *love* the expressions on their faces. Hot damn.

Also because one of the cute college guys said, "You're a lot stronger than you look" and no one has *ever* said that to me before. (I didn't tell him I was moving from my center rather than using upper body strength. Why spoil the moment?)

Mary Kaye

Jeanne Shepard
06-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Because of the (very respectfully) wonderful babes of Aikido. There is something about a girl who could kick my @$$... ;)

Now this, I could like...

Jeanne :p

Ulises Garcia
06-08-2005, 06:30 PM

It feels odd quoting myself. Anyhow, a few days ago I bumped into what I consider to be one sexy demonstration of Ryotetori-Ikkyo (and by this I mean no disrespect to Ms. Rachelle Nono). I just love how the side opening of her hakama is kinda revealing. :drool:

This is an animated gif, but it is also a smaller version. The larger size (and much clearer one) is at:

http://aikido-world.com/highlights/technical%20_tips/ryotetori-Ikkyo1.htm

Cheers, ;)

U.

samurai_kenshin
06-30-2005, 10:38 PM
because you felt like it...DUH!
But really, I just thought it looked cool...and my g/f thinks I look sexy in a gi...but that's a minor reason.

Jiawei
07-01-2005, 05:14 AM
Beautiful art form, graceful moves, self defence and a sense of health...hee

emma.mason15
07-09-2005, 02:00 PM
because u want your karate instructor boyfriend to be surprised when he next attacks you for fun! lol

aikigirl10
07-09-2005, 02:15 PM
# 1 .... I was an eight year old kid who thought "karate" was cool

samurai_kenshin
07-10-2005, 01:55 AM
^^ Hahahahaha!

RebeccaM
07-10-2005, 05:28 PM
It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Tubig
07-10-2005, 07:01 PM
An aikido guy whooped my ass in a fight. :confused:

samurai_kenshin
07-10-2005, 10:01 PM
An aikido guy whooped my ass in a fight. :confused:
Classic!!!

Yoda Quote:
Luke:" Is the dark side stronger?"
Yoda: "No"

Hence: Aikido stronger than Hapkido!!!

Dirk Hanss
07-13-2005, 04:28 AM
The SM studio was too expensive and I could not tell, when my family asked where I wanted to go.

Now aikido is cheaper, I can talk about freely, and the fun is the same ;)

Dirk

beanchild
07-15-2005, 10:13 AM
i joined because it is art in motion. & it feels good. even the pain. sometimes especially the pain.

...i stay because i want to be a jedi. & for the "secret ninja techniques" :D

emma.mason15
07-20-2005, 01:37 PM
I only went in to ask where the bathroom was .... now sensei knows where I live and would hunt me down like a dog and drag me back by by hair ..... lol

Kerry Monument
07-22-2005, 04:17 PM
To learn to hit people with large planets, read it some where in a book thought it was a cool description of aikido!!

Ulises Garcia
07-22-2005, 04:57 PM
To learn to hit people with large planets, read it some where in a book thought it was a cool description of aikido!!

Wow! That brings a whole new meaning to "being one with the Universe". LOL! :D

-U-

lewpearson
07-22-2005, 04:59 PM
...Because when I leave work and enter the dojo....the world disappears...

Shahryn
07-22-2005, 09:52 PM
If Mel Brooks did "Robin Hood - Men in Tights", do you think he might agree to do "Aikido - Men in Skirts"? I would volunteer for a role in the movie. Anyone else want to join me?

Dirk Hanss
07-23-2005, 05:42 AM
If Mel Brooks did "Robin Hood - Men in Tights", do you think he might agree to do "Aikido - Men in Skirts"? I would volunteer for a role in the movie. Anyone else want to join me?

MEE. please :cool: :) :p ;)

Dirk

markwalsh
07-23-2005, 01:41 PM
I saw it and loved it.

I think that for some people there's a part of them that recognizes something NECESSARY in aikido, though they may not be able to properly verbalize at the time.

To incorporate a Terry Dobson piece: Why go through the hassle unless you need it like a drowning man needs a raft?

That's deep enough for a Saturady I think, back to girls and beer.
Mark
x

Big Dave
07-23-2005, 08:14 PM
I started doing aikido for the following reasons:

1. It is similar in some ways to things that I have a lot of background in like wrestling and football.
2. Aikido is a good workout and is interesting and fun.
3. to do a martial art because I travel a lot and wanted to learn some basic self-defense.
4. To improve my overall health if possible- I am a cancer survivor trying new things
5. To learn something completely new and foreign
6. To be a student again - I have been coaching and teaching for many years
7. To learn to move gracefully
8. because older people can do it
9. because having short legs is not a disadvantage

that's it.

Eric Webber
07-28-2005, 03:33 PM
"Ah, I see your schwartz (substitute a bokken?) is as big as mine" - ooops, sorry, wrong Mel Brooks movie :) ; still a classic though!
Count me in! :D

dyffcult
07-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Sigh....

Because I knew of my desire to beat the crap out of people who generally annoy me and figured aikido was a good way to avoid lawsuits.... You know, control not harm.

Actually, because I am peaceable at heart, with a wicked justice streak and was afraid I would use martial arts to avenge myself on people.... You know, walk away.

Well, actually, because the guy who invited me to come watch the martial arts class he taught was very cute.... You know...well, at least the women do.

Okay, because I saw it and loved it and wanted to know it.

Brenda

theflyingheadbuttsuplex
07-31-2005, 01:11 PM
I saw it and loved it.

I think that for some people there's a part of them that recognizes something NECESSARY in aikido, though they may not be able to properly verbalize at the time.

To incorporate a Terry Dobson piece: Why go through the hassle unless you need it like a drowning man needs a raft?

That's deep enough for a Saturady I think, back to girls and beer.
Mark
x

Now I know why I joined it, its right here! (not girls and beer, the drowning man needs a raft thing!)
:p

maeukemi
08-11-2005, 06:17 AM
....because I didn't want the friend I was originally driving to class, to beat me up...

...because I DID see Jedi in there!

...Because when I enter, I'm always better when I leave.

To quote Goodman Sensei on my third class: "Come, join us!"

Joy...Beauty, Grace, and 'skywalking lessons!' :D

Jiawei
08-11-2005, 06:28 AM
strange thing is, I was kinda young to appreciate Aikido when I started. You know kids, 15 years old, just Segal on TV wanted to do some moves. I quit for awhile because I never understood it.

But when you grow up things change I guess. Beauty, Grace, Self defense and I speak for myself : there's just this "absorbing" sort of quality in Aikido........ Once you've understood why you do hand grabs and cooperate, why the basics are always grounded into your skull, and what the martial art is all about, you just love it.

bennettdjr
04-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Think on it from the bright side, your company can save on the security bills... and that will be favourable to the said company bottom-line which in effect will be good for your year end bonus, ain't it? :p

Boon.

i wrk in asda, sumtimes as a greeter on the door (bit like a security guard, ppl who shop in asda or wallmart will know wat im on bout) nd i thought if im chasin sum1 like nd they go 2 hit me i wnt 2 be able 2 look afta myself. the same goes for when im out. dunt mess with the aikido guys!!! evileyes

emma.mason15
04-26-2006, 09:46 PM
cuz I LIKE pain?

AESBird
04-27-2006, 01:50 AM
cuz I LIKE pain?

Ahh.. but don't forget, to give is better than to receive. :D

Mark Freeman
04-27-2006, 06:30 AM
Ahh.. but don't forget, to give is better than to receive. :D

What is it with you Dorset gals?? :uch:

merlynn
04-28-2006, 03:43 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmm i joined aikido cos damn there are some cute guys :drool: :drool: :D :p

Dirk Hanss
04-28-2006, 04:22 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmm i joined aikido cos damn there are some cute guys :drool: :drool: :D :p
Where have they gone?

Just curious ;)

Dirk

Steve Mullen
04-28-2006, 06:50 AM
because, eventually, i get to wear a skirt and still look cool!

AESBird
04-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Because every time I messed about fighting with my boyfriend (now ex :crazy: ) I would be thrown across the room! I had to find some way of retaliating....

merlynn
04-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Because every time I messed about fighting with my boyfriend (now ex :crazy: ) I would be thrown across the room! I had to find some way of retaliating....

angela i think in that case a nut cracker would be the order of the day evileyes

Tim Gerrard
05-01-2006, 06:53 AM
because, eventually, i get to wear a skirt and still look cool!

Like Steve, I too like to bring my weekend cross-dressing into yet another aspect of my life......

merlynn
05-01-2006, 07:06 AM
Like Steve, I too like to bring my weekend cross-dressing into yet another aspect of my life......

mmmmmmmmmmm i think you guys just wear these "skirts" to cover up those knobbley knees :D

Tim Gerrard
05-01-2006, 08:03 AM
mmmmmmmmmmm i think you guys just wear these "skirts" to cover up those knobbley knees :D

Yeah.....knobbly knees.........right...... :blush:

merlynn
05-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Yeah.....knobbly knees.........right...... :blush:

either that or you guys have horribly hairy legs :D

DarkShodan
05-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Because I look darn sexy in a skirt!

merlynn
05-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Because I look darn sexy in a skirt!

ooooooooooooo lets see then ;) :D :p

Psufencer
05-01-2006, 09:10 AM
either that or you guys have horribly hairy legs :D

Yup, Sasquatch in a gi, that's me... :yuck:

merlynn
05-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Yup, Sasquatch in a gi, that's me... :yuck:

heehee mmmmmm well that i will have to see for myself :D

DarkShodan
05-01-2006, 10:39 PM
I was trying to get a pic posted, but it's way to small. Doesn't show just how good I look. That's ok, don't want to make you all jealous. :crazy:

merlynn
05-02-2006, 03:01 AM
I was trying to get a pic posted, but it's way to small. Doesn't show just how good I look. That's ok, don't want to make you all jealous. :crazy:

well we do have personal e mail addresses if ya wanna send your pic to us :D :p

emma.mason15
05-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Cuz I look damned sexy in a skirt!
cuz I LIKE cross dressers
cuz I HAD to find a way to make the "play" fighting with my karate sensei fella last longer than 2 mins!
cuz I look cool when Im kicking said karatekas arse!

James Davis
05-04-2006, 11:14 AM
I didn't join an aikido dojo for this reason, but I thought my friend was really funny when he said it:

"I want to be able to kick some ass, look good doing it, and not have to break a sweat."

:rolleyes:

emma.mason15
05-04-2006, 04:17 PM
says it all!

Stephen Pate
05-12-2006, 03:34 PM
1. My first reason, it was a good way to win a fight while making your attacker look really stupid
2. I wanted to be able to fight without killing the other guy (eye gouging and stabbing are not looked upon favorably by the courts, even if it is self defense)
3. I really needed to get some exercise
4. The only other martial art in town was TKD

billybob
06-23-2006, 11:51 AM
only went in to ask where the bathroom was .... now sensei knows where I live and would hunt me down like a dog and drag me back by by hair ..... lol - Emma.

Emma, if i ever cross the pond I need to meet you. Your particular brand of insanity, far from daunting, is quite cute.

David (unofficially voted 'most likely to take a life' in my high school) :)

Suwariwazaman
06-23-2006, 03:28 PM
The top ten reasons I joined Aikido:

1. Tradition, so I could learn the ways of O'Sensei.

2. Being in martial arts my whole life.It is energizing.

3. I wanted a multi-functional art to apply my knowledge of other arts. Cross-training.

4. The ideology in Aikido is what I want out of a martial art.

5. Fun !!! You have to enjoy it.

6. Exercise, because I already get alot of exercise, but it is a solid all around workout. I have played many sports, but Aikido is not a sport, it is a way of life. I know that now.

7. Friends. There a many people in our dojo that have experience in other arts, totally different from eachother. This is a great way we can all come together and practice.

8. Stress relief. That goes without saying anymore!

9. Self Defense. Anyone who can defend themselves without harming the attacker is really a good idea. Also if you need to resort to imobilize the attacker.

10. Sword Techniques. Happo Giri- Kiri Oroshi, Ju No Kumitachi, Tachi dori, and so on. It is really awesome.

I know I am being too serious, but I feel Aikido is a place like O'Sensei felt, I think it went "A place for us to reconcile the world". Anyone else feel this way!

Regards Jamie :)

James Davis
06-23-2006, 03:32 PM
I have a friend who wandered into an aikido dojo because she thought it was japanese peotry. Seriously!

Imagine her surprise... :D

billybob
06-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Hey! It is poetry, depending on who's teaching.

I forgot what i was gonna say, it's a middle age thing. Now I remember. My reason's cheesy, but here goes.

I was icing a dislocated shoulder and decided to watch my buddy train aikido. I saw the local Sensei, now a Shihan, throw a hale looking fellow without touching him. I also knew that had the guy not moved he would have needed stitches (seen that too). Anyhoo, I knew I was seeing what I intuitively knew to be where my training would naturally go. Softer, softer, more efficient, so soft until -no need for contact.

dave

shadowedge
06-24-2006, 04:49 AM
:) I've made comparisons when i was younger... I grew up loving martial arts and tried quite a number....

Through that I learned that in most cases you have to by physically superior to be more efficent in combat....

I was a Steven Segal fan around High School, so when I came to Manila I came across dojos teaching the art....

What I learned from aikido, and I believe is the reason that compelled me the most, is because we get trained to conserve our energy... that in the worst of situations we have to remain in harmony with the environment... be at peace...

reminds me of two warrior classes I admire... the Samurai and the Jedi :D

Justin Azevedo
06-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Because I like falling down. Repeatedly.

John Boswell
06-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Reasons I joined Aikido:

Ikkyo
Nikyo
Sankyo
Yankyo... *tap*tap*tap
"OKAY! OKAY! I'LL JOIN! OWWW!!! SOMEBODY STOP THE PAIN! AHHHH!!!!" :D

Plus there's the fact that it gets me in better shape, unlike my usual pear shape. ;)

Dirk Hanss
06-29-2006, 01:22 AM
When I was young there were a lot of anti-war demonstrations - anti Vietnam war, later anti-Pershing (atomar mid-distance rockets for Germany).

They had good slogans. "Make love not war" was one and "Fighting for piece is like f***ing for virginity".

Then I saw the flyer about the "peaceful fighting art". I just thought "If there is a way to fight for piece, it might even help me on the other sight of the equation". And here I am.

Ahem - we re still in humor section, aren't we? :hypno:

Dirk

Lnr
07-14-2006, 07:49 AM
i'm a big angry parson in a little weak girl persons body, aikido let's me think i can win some of the fights i have to pick :grr:

Lnr

Steve Mullen
07-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Anyone who has had the pleasure of playing with Ms higgins will find that, at times she has the almost impressive ability to transform from scary little person to soggy noodle so that once you have caught her, there's not a lot you can do with her. Although i do enjoy seeing how many matts she will clear when thrown

Mark Freeman
07-14-2006, 09:38 AM
i'm a big angry parson in a little weak girl persons body,

All is not well in the parish then? ;)

Trish Greene
07-14-2006, 12:46 PM
I joined for work stress relief!
am getting evil enjoyment working with my Bokken imagining whose head I am slicing off......

(evil giggles rock!)

Esaemann
07-14-2006, 01:38 PM
My Tai Chi instructor wouldn't teach me karate (which he also instructed).
He said I was too high strung and should check out aikido. HAHA!

emma.mason15
07-23-2006, 08:00 PM
its the only place they will ever let me have a sword .... EVER!

CNYMike
07-24-2006, 07:57 PM
It feels odd quoting myself. Anyhow, a few days ago I bumped into what I consider to be one sexy demonstration of Ryotetori-Ikkyo (and by this I mean no disrespect to Ms. Rachelle Nono). I just love how the side opening of her hakama is kinda revealing. :drool:

:drool: :hypno: :drool:

Yes, she has beautiful .... TECHNIQUE! ;) :D That said, it is worth noting that one should only forego wearing pants under the hakama if one can get away with it. Nono Sensei can!

As for me, why did I come back to Aikido?

Well, the reason in keeping with the thread is that when I told my Kali instructor I'd been thinking about it, he said "That's great! Do it." HE wouldn't take no for an answer. I like to joke that if he'd been free that night, he would have dragged me to the dojo himself and introduced me. Oddly enough, he's never contradicted me when I said that.

CNYMike
07-24-2006, 07:59 PM
its the only place they will ever let me have a sword .... EVER!

Yeah, you seem to have an, ah, interest in sharp objects that is a bit disquiteing. You're not distantly related to Lizzy Borden, are you?

Anybody know if there's such a thing as an Aiki-Goth? I think we found one. :eek: :)

Chantal
01-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Other that loving the sport ... here is another reason I joined aikido. I am an elementary school teacher and I believe that to be a good teacher I must know what it is like to be a student. In the dojo as in life, I am always learning something new. In my classroom, I am the boss ;) so it is nice to be reminded of what it feels like to be in my students' shoes ... it is humbling to learn a new a skill that one has to work for in order to achieve.

Peter Bowyer
01-30-2009, 09:16 AM
I was looking for the 3rd door on the left which was a couples mahjong tournament. Silly me, I entered the 2nd door by mistake.

wideawakedreamer
02-03-2009, 10:13 PM
1. Because I'm too slow and heavy and lack the stamina for Taekwondo.

2. Because I can play samurai for two hours during weapons nights.

3. Because I can impress newbies with my god-like powers even though I'd probably die in a real fight.

4. Rolling comes naturally to round people.

5. Because I think I will look good in a black belt and hakama.

caelifera
02-13-2009, 05:59 PM
10: Because I needed the P.E hours... :hypno:

Guilty Spark
02-14-2009, 07:51 AM
I read about US Navy Seals and Green Berets being taught Aikido during the 60's and 70's.

Fight sceens in movies featuring aikido looked pretty neat.

Enjoyed touching on the spiritual side of the art.

During the first night in class my sensei outlined the weaknesses and disadvantages of aikido and didn't bullshit me.

My training didn't feel rushed like Taekwondo ("If you train every class you can be a blackbelt in a year!")

Learning additional martial arts now but continue with Aikido because I enjoy the people I train with, enjoy the environment and used aikido effectively during self defense situations (IMO) validating the normal question 'does it work in a real fight'.

Buck
02-14-2009, 10:40 AM
1. To meet hot sweaty women dressed in the same thing like the guys wear.

2. To say that I don't need to wear no stinking Kilts !

3. To have an excuse to get out of my parents basement for a couple of hours.

4. To impress women by saying, "I do Aikido, how 'bout you?." They then say isn't that a type of dog?

5. Watching one of Segal's first movies and say you can do all that! Then proving you can as on her.

6. To have a social life where the people you hang out with use you in this kind of love submission thing.

7. Getting much needed human contact despite the Sadomasochism, an excuse to get a message.

8. To spend hours onYouTube

9. To spend hours in chat rooms and forums

10. To impress all the kids on the block under the age of 12.

11. To intimidate the Darth Vaders and Klingons at the StarWars and Trek conventions.

12. Sheek cult worship -that is more trendy then those D&D/Renaissance faire people.

11. Great ice breakers:
A. at AAA meetings.

B. At the local CVS pharmacy where your ex-girl is flaunting her new new boy friend in
your face.

C. At the dentist who is pressing on that cavity you have on tooth #8 with that metal
sharp thing in his hand.

12. Getting a postrate exam and threating the doctor one wrong move and you could throw him from there.

Buck
02-14-2009, 10:53 AM
That last one kills me, when I first heard that from a Sempei I was laughing so hard it was painful.

Ari Gower
05-01-2009, 03:19 AM
Because you couldn't do kendo anymore... and then found out that making pretzels out of people is much more fun than hitting them with sticks.

David Maidment
05-01-2009, 04:32 AM
To pick up where I left off as a kid
To finally commit to a hobby
To dance around in a skirt...
...and to defend myself whilst doing so
To be like all those videos on YouTube
To one day hopefully understand all of the concepts I've read in Aikido books
To honour my sensei (as a kid) who unfortunately passed away
To have a legitimate reason for owning lots of sticks/swords/etc.
To go somewhere to unwind after work
To amaze people with my elastic ukemi

Frannie_or_Frenchie
05-03-2009, 06:46 AM
10. Because my parents made me join, I was very naughty in
middle school.
9. The summer was going to be boring.
8. Wanted to try something new.
7. Loved the Jacki-Chan movies, and Domo Kai was the most
interesting to me.
6. I wanted to get in touch with my spiritual side.
5. The ukemi's were fun.
4. Some of my Senpai's were really cute.:p
3. So that I could brag something to my dad about. (he took karate)
2. So that I could be able to defend and flip a person over in just
one move.
1. So that I could threaten my friends if they ever mess with me. (but only if they initiate the fight first, always remember one of the important rules!)

TeppoLeinonen
05-05-2009, 05:08 AM
Because you couldn't do kendo anymore... and then found out that making pretzels out of people is much more fun than hitting them with sticks.
That's EXACTLY why I started doing aikido a decade ago. But then I refound the sticks during aikitoho and aikiken classes and now I'm working on my iaido shodan...

But I have been itching to go back on tatami and kick myself up a notch in the shape factor again... Because I see these cute girls in iaido classes and aikido classes and think they would much prefer some less blobby droolers on the edge of the tatami... :D

Linda Eskin
05-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Because one of the 10 Exercises to Become a Better Horsewoman (http://www.ihsa.com/EquiPCS_read.asp?id=771) is this:

"Leap out of a moving vehicle and practice "relaxing into
the fall." Roll lithely into a ball and spring to your feet. "

brUNO
06-02-2009, 10:35 PM
I joined Aikido because...
...I'm trying get my pilots licence and I needed to log all the "Air-Time" that I could.

...I look damn good in a Japanese tuxedo. It hides my fat ass.

...chicks dig my Yonkyu bruises.

...I was court-ordered to get Anger Management.

.. I can stay sober and still fall down.

...I thought it was Japanese Square Dancing

...I thought they were holding auditions for a Steven Seagal movie.

...The long sleeves hide my tattoos.

...I thought it might look good on my resume.

...the guy that mugged me, and my buddy, said they had a 2 for 1 membership special at his dojo. We joined as soon as we got out of the hospital.

Keoma
06-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Because I thought that guys who go around in skirts must be some serious badasses, and i wanted to learn what they know.

Because Muay Thai and Karate training just aren't hardcore enough.

because I've always wanted to fly...

Lulu
06-04-2009, 05:57 PM
1. My Karate Sensei told me to.
2. I already had a gi.
3. Wanted to meet men - lots of men.
4. Had never seen Steven Segal.
5. It was free to start.
6. Thought that there would be punch and cookies served after class
7. Didn't know what to expect and couldn't be disappointed.
8.Wanted to meet men
9. Sweaty men
10. Was obviously mis- informed, about the punch & cookies.

Kevin Love
06-08-2009, 06:06 PM
It's cheaper than taking flying lessons...although the insurance is about the same.

Re: "Learning to use the force", that was on my list, too - I'm still tryin to figure out how to turn on the wooden light sabre they gave me!

Kevin

caelifera
07-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Would that make Daito-Ryu the way of the Sith? :D

yup

caelifera
07-13-2009, 12:35 PM
1. Hakamas beat cowboy chaps any day
2. Get thrashed into a pulp for no particular reason

wideawakedreamer
07-14-2009, 07:20 AM
:D LOL 3. Wanted to meet men - lots of men.

8.Wanted to meet men

9. Sweaty men

seele
07-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Reasons Why You Joined Aikido:

Because I'm good at a lot of things I do and needed something to teach me humility :D

RED
07-18-2009, 08:05 PM
0_0

Connor Haberland
07-18-2009, 08:29 PM
strange thing is, I was kinda young to appreciate Aikido when I started. You know kids, 15 years old, just Segal on TV wanted to do some moves. I quit for awhile because I never understood it.

But when you grow up things change I guess. Beauty, Grace, Self defense and I speak for myself : there's just this "absorbing" sort of quality in Aikido........ Once you've understood why you do hand grabs and cooperate, why the basics are always grounded into your skull, and what the martial art is all about, you just love it.

I was actually young when I started. I was 9-10 and loved it. I kept at it for 5 years and at 13 got my black belt. (fourteen now)

Reason number 1-(as quoted above)"Beauty, Grace, Self defense and I speak for myself : there's just this "absorbing" sort of quality in Aikido..(......)" Couldn't put that better, myself.

Then there is the sheer fun of it. Throwing people around and getting thrown around(I like the kotegaeshi breakfall myself) Kumitachi's are another thing.

Shadowfax
08-20-2009, 03:23 PM
-because making pretzels out of people is fun
-because someone making a pretzel out of me is fun too
- human origami!... the art of Japanese people folding.....I like arts and crafts.
-because it fits in with my half sweet half dangerous personality
-because I get to beat up boys!:D
-Someone told me I'd enjoy it even though I really didn't think I would
-I needed a good reason to wear white pajamas in public...
-I read that there are a lot of circles in Aikido... I'm a circle....:o
-Aikidoka are centered people with quiet minds
-Because I read a book called Horsemanship Through Life and it inspired me to try something new.:)

OwlMatt
12-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Because the teenaged Dungeons & Dragons nerd buried somewhere inside me wants to learn to use a sword.

Shannon Frye
12-14-2009, 12:27 AM
Because the teenaged Dungeons & Dragons nerd buried somewhere inside me wants to learn to use a sword.

Thumbs up on this one !!:D

Cajunjambaliya
01-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Reasons Why You Joined Aikido:

I wanted to learn the ways of the force and was not have any luck. I am trying Aikido now..

"DO or DO NOT, there is no try" Master Yoda

bulevardi
02-02-2010, 07:43 AM
... because I always wanted that white belt :)

Dirk Hünniger
02-03-2010, 01:56 AM
I kind of realized that I am able to enjoy some physical pain and restraint and wanted to do that together with other people. We had discussion with two graduated physicists and one PhD in mechanical engineering at the research and development department of my employer. Our first idea was to contact the BDSM scene, but somehow I still feel a little bit afraid of them, although they seem to be very ordinary people, who have to hide a bit since their actions are not so well tolerated by society. I read on their forms that some of them do Aikido and experience feeling comparable to those the feel during BDSM, all though not all of them feel that way even if doing Aikido. So I started to experiment with Aikido myself and found out that like it a lot. My joy is including the physical pain and restraint stuff but definitely not limited to it. Aikido just feels great. It is very appealing to me that you don't have to hide and can openly tell anybody that you enjoy to be thrown onto the mat by your peers or even to through them yourself. And if there is a minor who wants to see that, s/he can just come to the training and watch, or even join the youth class himself/herself.

Anne-Marieke van Rooij
05-05-2010, 02:46 AM
The SM studio was too expensive and I could not tell, when my family asked where I wanted to go.

Now aikido is cheaper, I can talk about freely, and the fun is the same ;)

Dirk

How right you are. I found out it helps being a masochist ;)
The day after class my muscles still hurt like hell but I enjoy it.
Anne

Kwizxi
05-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Because I grew out of getting pain induced kicks out of mosh pits...
And decided I could get them in a prettier way...
Because it just fits in beautifully with everything I do and believe...
Because I started several years ago, stopped and spent all that time missing it sorely...
Because it looks awesome!

ellie
07-25-2010, 10:13 AM
my best friends dad started a class and i got dragged along to keep her company and since then i've been addicted :)

CNYMike
07-25-2010, 11:50 AM
my best friends dad started a class and i got dragged along to keep her company and since then i've been addicted :)

Addicted you say? Welcome to the fold! If you haven't done so already, you will have to check out this thread (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9208) to make sure. {sniff} Almost five years old .... I'm so proud. {sniff} :hypno: :)

willow_in_the_mist
07-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Top 10 Reasons I Joined Aikido:

10. I already lacked a social life. Might as well have a REASON for not having a social life!
9. Jujutsu was too much work.
8. Needed something to do on Friday night (see #10)
7. Needed a reason, as a grown woman without kids, to roll around on the ground.
6. Local Aikido class is small and close-knit
5. My Sensei is made of awesome. I HAD to be around that much awesomeness every week in hopes it would rub off. (hasn't yet)
4. Attacking people outside of a dojo is generally frowned upon.
3. I liked all the vowels in "Aikido."
2. Cheaper than therapy, less jail time than out-of-dojo assault.
1. Though I didn't know it at the time of my first class, my class became my family. I joined Aikido to be with my family :)

jamie yugawa
09-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Because a gang of Otaku's were beating me up!!! LOL

RuteMendes
07-26-2012, 02:12 PM
1- I needed to do some sport.

2- It's cheap! yeyy

3- There was no Kung Fu in my town

4- MMA/ Muay Thai/ Boxe/Karate/TKD are for sissies

5- My mum hates the fact that I do Aikido... So... that's a good reason to do it. ^^

6- I wanted to learn how to defend myself from the school gangs :P

7- It's much cooler than the maths club!

8- Useful for a possible zombie apocalypse.

9- If I have to fight Chuck Norris, I least I lose with a bit of dignity. xD

10- The dojo has huge windows, so when my classmates pass by on the street, they look inside like "wooowwww she's throwing all those people! don't mess with her!" ahah

Janet L.
11-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Because it gives me a way of dealing with an attacker short of shooting him.

Then during my first class I thought "I could get good at this if I persist long enough. . ."

Then I found the philosophy really fit well with my philosophy.

Now I keep trying to talk Sensei into doing more classes. Twice a week is not enough!

Richard Vader
01-16-2014, 07:47 AM
1 Seen a Steven Seagal movie DUH!
2 Like havin an excuse for weaponary at home (bokken and jo)
3 Always conciderd my broomstick as a deadly weapon.
4 my secret desire to wear a skirt
5 Like to be able to in stead of throwing a party to be throwing at a party.
6 because sankyo very much sounds better!
7 Ukime thats how i roll!
8 Like the idea that i have something to defend me from my wife
9 A good excuse to get away from my wife
10 Cheaper than going to a bar to get away from my wife

(disclaimer this is the humor section, and i do love my wife -just in case she reads along- )

Draconis_Ruthren
06-30-2014, 04:05 PM
1. Been wanting to learn a martial art since I was little, grew up on Karate Kid
2. Jealous of my brothers since they started learning TKD while I was in college
3. Saw it on my work's group exercise schedule
4. I get a class fee discount for being a Y employee
5. Loved it from the first class
6. It works surprisingly well with what I learned in theater
7. Gives me motivation to take care of myself and work out
8. Amazing sensei and awesome group of guys to train with
9. At 5'5", I'm the shortest one in class next to the kids so that has its own entertaining dynamic
10. Favorite ukemi are back break falls and extensions

Draconis_Ruthren
06-30-2014, 04:06 PM
1. Been wanting to learn a martial art since I was little, grew up on Karate Kid
2. Jealous of my brothers since they started learning TKD while I was in college
3. Saw it on my work's group exercise schedule
4. I get a class fee discount for being a Y employee
5. Loved it from the first class
6. It works surprisingly well with what I learned in theater
7. Gives me motivation to take care of myself and work out
8. Amazing sensei and awesome group of guys to train with :D
9. At 5'5", I'm the shortest one in class next to the kids so that has its own entertaining dynamic :p
10. Favorite ukemi are back break falls and extensions

MsForeverlotus
08-12-2014, 04:37 PM
because I don't have to destroy my body in the process of study.
because I can study it philosophically and spiritually even off the mat.

GMaroda
08-14-2014, 12:40 PM
because I don't have to destroy my body in the process of study.

*looks at his thumb splint*

Oh, NOW you tell me!

fatebass21
12-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Because I finally found a group of people who share my affinity for dance-fighting in half a dress. Until now I was doing this at home by myself...

Richard.B.Martin
11-20-2018, 08:23 AM
cuz I LIKE pain?

It's good to see a fellow closet Masochist.

1) Or, to quote the USMC: "Pain is weakness leaving the body." (Yeah right!). It's not so much 'liking' pain, as I have learned to appreciate it, and allow it to remind me that I'm alive.

For me there is also the element of: Therapy. Aikido-Therapy.
2) A nice blend of human interaction, both physical and emotional that doesn't involve sex. (Though we all do tend to get exceptionally sweaty).
3) Watching my fellow Aikidoka grow in experience and ability. Which allows me to do the same.
4) Making friendships on the mat that extend to off that mat too. I recently got to enjoy some of the work of Akira Kurosawa (Movie Director) for the first time.
5) To experience the joy of having someone smile when they see you. (Though some of them smile akin to the way a Tiger does).
6) To be amazed at the physical capabilities of others: When Sensei is leading the stretches and warmups, He/she says in a joking manner: "Now, touch your forehead to the mat." And someone does, easily.
7) The occasional light moment when even the most experienced Don stumbles on their Hakama.
8) Pushing the dustmop through the hordes of children that are on the mat after practice- can be a challenge, yet still fun.
9) Jo-staff kata. Need I say more?
10) I've been losing weight. :)