PDA

View Full Version : Aiki JuJitsu and Tomiki Style

Please visit our sponsor:

chrisward
01-24-2005, 01:09 PM
If this tread has been previously discussed please accept my apology. I understand a lot of folks who read this probably could write a book on this subject, but I was curious to know if anyone could give me the reader's digest version of the difference between Aiki JuJitsu, Aikikai, Tenshinkai and Tomiki style Aikido?
Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Ron Tisdale
01-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Aiki Ju Jutsu -- typically used to denote Daito ryu Aikijujutsu...there are several authentic schools that practice today both in and outside of Japan. The Roppokai, Takumakai, and Mainline (under Kondo Sensei) are a few of them. This would be the parent art of aikido.

Aikikai is the organization that oversees the art of aikido as embodied in the family of M. Ueshiba...the founder of aikido. His grandson is the current 'Doshu' or leader.

Tenshinkai...don't know.

Tomiki...probably more properly said to be Shodokan Aikido...often misnamed for the founder of the style, Tomiki Sensei. This style uses a more judo like (for lack of a better description) randori (freestyle) that allows more resistence than is typically seen in aikido. It also allows competition. There are several practitioners here on this board who could describe it much better than I...

You could do a search in the aikido FAQ (probably listed on this page somewhere) or on the net about any or all of these styles.
Best
Ron

tedehara
01-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Tenshinkai?
click here for Tenshinkai Aikido Federation (http://www.tenshinkai.com/)
For more info you can contact Lynn Seiser (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/member.php?u=90) who posts here and is a member of that dojo. He also writes a monthly column for this web site.

Don_Modesto
01-24-2005, 10:19 PM
....difference between Aiki JuJitsu, Aikikai, Tenshinkai and Tomiki style Aikido?

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=17385

SeiserL
01-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Sent you a private response before I saw this in forum.

Tenshinkai, the organization or coming together of heaven and earth, is the name given by O'Sensei himself to Sensei Dang Thong Phong for a fluid and powerful style of Aikido from Vietnam. It is not very well known. Most of us are greatly honored and humbled to continue to train under Phong Sensei himself. Phong Sensei demonstrated at the last two Aiki Expos and will again this year in May in Los Angeles. Thanks for asking.

Aikidoiain
02-20-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi Chris,

I am most familiar with these than with any other Aikido style, as I trained for many years in both.

As far as I'm aware, Kenji Tomiki was a student of Ueshiba. Tomiki Aikido, as a style offers more resistance, and I have found it more practical in real life confrontations. I also found this style relatively quick to pick up, although I don't know why.

Aiki-Jujitsu, on the other hand, is very similar to actual Ju-jitsu, in that it employs many kicks and strikes as well as joint locks. Together, these two styles worked well for me, and seemed to compliment each other.

I also studied the Korean Hapkido style, which was very similar to Aiki-Jujitsu. It gets kind of confusing sometimes to find the point where one style ends and another begins. I think all these styles compliment each other well.

Aikikai, I think, is traditional Aikido in its purest form. Last year I joined the local Aikikai club (but had to leave due to serious health problems), and found it very difficult compared to the Tomiki style.

Hapkido almost has all the elements of Tomiki Aikido and Aiki-Jujitsu, with the addition of grappling.

This probably doesn't help you much!

Iain.
:ki: :)