PDA

View Full Version : Certificates

Please visit our sponsor:

Nafis Zahir
12-30-2004, 12:16 AM
I just received my Nidan Certificate, and as I thought about how to have it framed, I wondered why, after all these years, why the certificates were not issued in english or at least with an english translation next to the Japanese. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to read your certificate? Aikido had become so widespread and diverse, with many Instructors having 30 to 35 years of training under their belts. No disrespect to the Japanese at all, but I feel as though we should be able to read our certificates or at least have a smaller paper one issued along with it in english. Does anyone know why we do not get them in english or with the translation? Has this issued ever been raised before or is it taboo?

Rupert Atkinson
12-30-2004, 12:20 AM
I solved it by learning to read Japanese :) And I think, in Japanese, it looks better.

But my Kodokan one has a mixture of Japanese and English on it - not sure if Japanese Judoka get the same deal in that sense.

PeterR
12-30-2004, 12:21 AM
There are so many languages out there - the common one in this context being Japanese. Why don't you get your organization to provide a certified (by your Chief Instructor) translation.

So easy - really.

akiy
12-30-2004, 12:55 AM
From right to left for recent Aikikai dan certificates (with Heisei as the year and Moriteru Ueshiba sensei as the Doshu):

Column 1: Zaidan Hojin Aikikai
Column 2: Dai (Number) Go = Certificate number for that dan ranking
Column 3: Sho = "Certificate"
Column 4: Your name
Column 5: Migimono konpan aikido: The person on the right is now in aikido
Column 6: (number) dan wo inka su = permitted as (number) dan
Column 7: Heisei (number) nen (number) gatsu (number) nichi = The (number) year of Heisei, (number) month, (number) day
Column 8: Aikido
Column 9: Doshu Ueshiba Moriteru

Column 6 will be worded differently for a fifth dan and up dan certificate by saying "(number) dan kurai ni retsu su" which basically breaks down to "kurai" meaning "to be ranked, placed, occupy a position" and "retsu su" meaning "to rank with, line up with."

For kyu ranked certificates, that column would read, "(number) kyu wo juyo su" which basically means, "(number) kyu has been awarded/granted/conferred."

Hope that helps.

-- Jun

Nafis Zahir
12-30-2004, 01:02 AM
Jun,

Thanks. That was very informative. In column #6, what would the kanji be for the number 2 or Nidan?

akiy
12-30-2004, 01:17 AM
In column #6, what would the kanji be for the number 2 or Nidan?
See "Nidan (Alternative "old style" character)" here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/language/ranks_k.html

-- Jun, still awake for some reason at 1:17am after five hours of training today...