PDA

View Full Version : Ryu vs. Ryu-ha

Please visit our sponsor:

spin13
12-01-2004, 03:23 PM
'Ryu' vs 'Ryu-ha'. I was just curious in the difference between these two terms. I wasn't able to find anything useful searching both here and at e-budo. Thanks.

-Eric

Don_Modesto
12-01-2004, 03:45 PM
'Ryu' vs 'Ryu-ha'. I was just curious in the difference between these two terms. I wasn't able to find anything useful searching both here and at e-budo. Thanks.

-Eric

auto vs. automobile

Peter Goldsbury
12-01-2004, 03:54 PM
HA means: group, faction, sect, school of thought; to send or despatch someone. For example, a haken shihan is a shihan who has been sent somewhere to teach aikido. A habatsu is a faction or clique.

The character often occurs as the second or third of a compound word, as in 'ryuha' (school of thought or martial arts), 'gakuha' (school, in a more academic sense), 'hatoha' ("doves"), 'takaha' ("hawks"), 'rittaiha' (cubists), 'inshoha' (impressionist school), 'kotoha' (transcendentalists), and 'kagekiha' (radicals).

If you have Nelson, the character is 3126 (Radical 85).

saltlakeaiki
12-01-2004, 05:29 PM
To build on what Peter said, "ha" seems to carry more the connotation of a group of individuals who share something in common, while "ryuu" carries more the connotation of the style (of aikido, painting, etc) that they practice.

As individual characters, either typically works as a suffix, not really as a stand-alone nominal (noun). If you want a noun that stands alone, it is most natural (normal) to use the compound "ryuuha".

Dave

Dazzler
12-02-2004, 09:46 AM
I thought ryu-ha was the cry emitted when dojo storming? :D

sorry I'll go home now. :blush: