PDA

View Full Version : What does "Aiki-gul" mean?

Please visit our sponsor:

SteveLiggitt
08-03-2004, 12:49 AM
"gul" could be a fragment of a longer word that was erased.
I suppose it may have something to do with Aikido, then again, it may not. Can anyone please help?

Thank you very much!

markwalsh
08-03-2004, 03:15 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0380012863/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-5974167-2533754#reader-link

:p
Sorry, couldn't resist,

Mark

Don_Modesto
08-03-2004, 09:27 AM
"gul" could be a fragment of a longer word that was erased.
I suppose it may have something to do with Aikido, then again, it may not. Can anyone please help?

Thank you very much!

What's the context?

"Gul" is neither a Jpn sound nor a standard transcription for a Jpn sound...

SteveLiggitt
08-04-2004, 12:27 AM
LMAO good one, Mark!
:-D
It is okay, I can always appreciate some good humour.
Any other ideas, anyone?

SteveLiggitt
08-04-2004, 12:37 AM
What is the context...

Unfortunately, there is no context. A lady I know from Russia sent me an SMS which begins with the words "Aiki-gul" and then proceeds with the rest of the text, as if "Aiki-gul" was an address or a greeting. I asked her what "Aiki-gul" means, and she said that she does not know, she did not type it, and she has no clue how it got there. She said that maybe the keypad of her mobile phone was unlocked, the letters were typed accidentally, and she did not notice them. I think that's impossible. A more plausible scenario is that "Aiki-gul" is a fraction from a previous message that she sent to someone else and did not completely erase before writing the message to me. The idea that she may be telling me lies is quite disturbing, so I have to find out if it means something.

Chuck.Gordon
08-04-2004, 07:19 AM
Wild guess here, maybe it's a mis-type for 'aiki-gal' ...

Chuck

Don_Modesto
08-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Wild guess here, maybe it's a mis-type for 'aiki-gal' ...

Chuck

I know seafood restaurants which label the restrooms "buoys" and "gulls"...

shihonage
08-04-2004, 05:05 PM
If I recall correctly, "gul" in Russian means noise, like a factory noise, inside airplane, highway, train, stadium, etc.

It really doesnt have any wildly different meanings.

SteveLiggitt
08-05-2004, 12:32 AM
Okay, I am beginning to believe that I should take the question to a Russian forum instead of an Aikido forum.

Thank you, people!