PDA

View Full Version : Aikido And Marriage

Please visit our sponsor:

Kyudos
06-18-2004, 05:54 AM
Dear All,

Newbie here on the forums. Have a little task you may be able to help me with, since my aikido reading is very limited at the moment.

I met my fiancee at aikido - we are getting married in August. Because of our mutual interest, we'd like to include some aikido related anecdotes in our wedding ceremony - since it struck us that the concepts of harmony and blending could equally apply to marriage as to technique.

So what I was wondering is - what are your thoughts? Any anecdotes of your own? Any passages from books you've read that would apply to love/marriage as well as aikido?

Thanks,

Kyudos

j0nharris
06-18-2004, 06:42 AM
My wife and I had a nice aiki wedding, as well, presided over by one of our instructors! We wore formal kimononos over new gi's with white cotton hakama.
We did do a couple of blending exercises toward the end to demonstrate harmony and moving together. And I don't think that anyone there will ever forget what one person called "the most unique" wedding he'd ever seen. :D
We thought about making a reception line for everyone to throw the bride & groom, but didn't quite go that far (esp. since we knew that there'd be some mean nasty judoka in the crowd!).
Best of luck to you guys.

Janet Rosen
06-18-2004, 01:34 PM
One of my favorite photos is from my friends' wedding; the bride, in her white gown, caught in the middle of doing koshinage to the groom.
best of luck!

j0nharris
06-18-2004, 02:11 PM
Can you post a copy of that pic Janet?? I would love to see it!

henry brown
06-18-2004, 03:51 PM
Why don't you give the guests boken and walk through a passage of drawn swords