PDA

View Full Version : Summer classes

Please visit our sponsor:

Tharis
06-04-2004, 02:50 PM
Howdy. I've been training for about three years now, and have reached the rank if 1st kyu. Now I'm home for the summer without regular access to a car. The nearest aikido dojo (living in Frostburg, MD) is about an hour away and I don't have a car or the money to train. Instead I'm going to try to work on some basic stuff with a couple friends. They have a little kendo experience, and one does some wrestling.

Since I'm only going to be teaching for a couple months before I go back to Cleveland, I don't know how I could give them anything meaningful in such limited time.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Thomas

DarkShodan
06-04-2004, 02:53 PM
Yes, don't go back to Cleveland!

Tharis
06-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Yes, don't go back to Cleveland!

Unfortunately, I've already made plans...is there something about Cleveland that I should know?

aikitim23
06-10-2004, 12:25 PM
i think he meant stay longer and teach them.....

DarkShodan
06-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Actually I meant Cleveland sucks and he should not go there because only mutants live in Cleveland. Of course my knowledge of Cleveland comes from watching "Major League", so it is possible I don't know what I am talking about.

You could teach them about keeping balance and center, basic wrist locks, Ki extension, Omote and Ura (moving into and out of the way). Teach them what you would normally teach anyone. They will pick up on what compliments their current skills.

aikitim23
06-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Actually I meant Cleveland sucks and he should not go there because only mutants live in Cleveland. Of course my knowledge of Cleveland comes from watching "Major League", so it is possible I don't know what I am talking about.

oh, my bad....

Lyle Laizure
07-26-2004, 07:55 AM
I think if you go with teaching the unbendable arm and applying it to what they arlready study that would be of great use. As well, learning how to fall would be monument in the long run.