PDA

View Full Version : What is kokyu?

Please visit our sponsor:

Hanna B
02-12-2004, 02:33 PM
'Kokyu' seem to be used with different meaning by different people - just like ki, and some other aikido related concepts. In normal Japanese of course the word means breath, but as an aikido term the word has a more specific mening - or does it not? I would very much like to hear what you put into the concept "kokyu".

Amassus
02-12-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm certainly no expert on the matter but at my dojo I get the impression that it is 'breath power', that is, using your breath as a source of focus and power to utilise while throwing.

PeterR
02-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Timing

stuartjvnorton
02-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Apparently, there are several meanings for the term "kokyu".

1 is about breath, which led my first sensei to joke about some misunderstanding westerners who as shite would try to knock him out with their bad breath. ;-)

One of the other meanings relates it to an instant in time.

I think about the times when I've really been taken by surprise as uke, & there's usually a gasp or some sort of unconscious sound.

So maybe it's a bit of a combination of the 2: performing the technique at just the right instant in time to take uke's breath away.

OK, now I'm just rambling...

SeiserL
02-12-2004, 10:35 PM
I have been taught it means both breathing and timing.

Kokyu-nage is often executed by enter and blending when you inhale and executing the throw as you exhale. Many Kokyu-nages require you execute good timing to take their balance and to allow them to maintain contact with you through uninterrupted momentum or Ki flow.

zachbiesanz
02-13-2004, 12:45 AM
What about keeping one's arm extended, in roughly the same curve as a katana? I've heard that called kokyu as well. Makes sense for kokyu nage...

Andy Scaley
02-13-2004, 04:47 AM
Kokyu nage = breath throw

Greg Jennings
02-13-2004, 08:46 AM
Timing. Ebb and flow. Sometimes being in that place or groove where uke has no strength, no leverage and is subject to kuzushi.

Translating kokyunage as "breath throw" reminds me why I prefer contextual translation.

FWIW,

Don_Modesto
02-13-2004, 02:40 PM
Translating kokyunage as "breath throw" reminds me why I prefer contextual translation.
Amen!

And not just for KOKYU NAGE.

KOKYU NAGE seems to be the bin you throw techniques into when they don't have a more specific name. Do you all find some commonality among them?

I've heard it suggested that with these techniques you especially need to have your HIPS working well.

Moreover, KOKYU is purportedly needed for the proper execution of any technique so why limit the term to just one subset?

Thanks.

Nacho_mx
02-13-2004, 04:25 PM
ALL Aikido is kokyunage.