PDA

View Full Version : flaws


Please visit our sponsor:
 

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!


shadow
12-16-2000, 06:26 PM
Do you think it is a common human trait, shared by everyone, to be arrogant, ignorant and self centred? Are you unhappy sometimes by your own human nature? Do you think your aikido helps you with these things? Do you strive for compassion to all living beings? Is this aiki?

DiNalt
12-16-2000, 06:49 PM
shadow wrote:
Do you think it is a common human trait, shared by everyone, to be arrogant, ignorant and self centred? Are you unhappy sometimes by your own human nature? Do you think your aikido helps you with these things? Do you strive for compassion to all living beings? Is this aiki?

I hate you.

shadow
12-16-2000, 10:35 PM
DiNalt wrote:
I hate you. [/B]

you hate me? why?

Have a broached a topic here that is unpleasant to consider?
Sometimes I despise the arrogance and the selfishness and the anger that I feel......although people don't find me to be any of the above things, I still feel them sometimes. Am I hiding these traits? Or do I have high standards for myself? But sometimes it's hard, oh so hard to be compassionate....to forgive and to understand....

anyways it looks as if this isn't a topic many people are interested in

forgive me, I've been up early for the past 12 days, and I am very much a night person, had little sleep and I haven't been to aikido in a week......perhaps my thinking is skewed.

daedalus
12-17-2000, 12:33 AM
shadow asked:

<< Do you think it is a common human trait, shared by everyone, to be arrogant, ignorant and self centred? Are you unhappy sometimes by your own human nature? Do you think your aikido helps you with these things? Do you strive for compassion to all living beings? Is this aiki? >>

If it was a human trait to be arrogant and self-centered we wouldn't need schools and society to brainwash kids competition to teach "some are more [enter desired trait here] than others" at an early age. Societies isolated from the rest of the world, when found by modern society have ALWAYS been giving and humble. The Tasaday and the aboriginal peoples of the Galopogos Islands are good examples.

As for being ignorant, we all come into this world ignorant.

So, my human nature is not what I have a problem with. It the changes made to it that are a problem.

Being a fairly new student to Aikido, i really don't know what aiki exactly is, or how training has helped me deal with "human nature", as you call it, more than I was before. Compassion for all living things, on the other hand, is not a problem.

Peace * Love * Unity

Brian

DiNalt
12-17-2000, 02:19 AM
shadow wrote:
DiNalt wrote:
I hate you.

you hate me? why?

Have a broached a topic here that is unpleasant to consider?
[/B]

Actually I thought that something as blatant and laconic as "I hate you" would provide for an amusing contrast to the tone of your post.

REK
12-17-2000, 10:56 AM
daedalus wrote:
shadow asked:

<< Do you think it is a common human trait, shared by everyone, to be arrogant, ignorant and self centred? Are you unhappy sometimes by your own human nature? Do you think your aikido helps you with these things? Do you strive for compassion to all living beings? Is this aiki? >>

If it was a human trait to be arrogant and self-centered we wouldn't need schools and society to brainwash kids competition to teach "some are more [enter desired trait here] than others" at an early age. Societies isolated from the rest of the world, when found by modern society have ALWAYS been giving and humble. The Tasaday and the aboriginal peoples of the Galopogos Islands are good examples.

As for being ignorant, we all come into this world ignorant.

So, my human nature is not what I have a problem with. It the changes made to it that are a problem.

Being a fairly new student to Aikido, i really don't know what aiki exactly is, or how training has helped me deal with "human nature", as you call it, more than I was before. Compassion for all living things, on the other hand, is not a problem.

Peace * Love * Unity

Brian

The reason these societies may be found to be more generous is due more than just "human nature". The civilizations you cite are both tropical and pre-industrial. This means that they are not engaged in any environmental or inter-tribe struggle for scarce resources. When resources become scarce (eg outside rainforests) is when you see the "selfishness" of humanity blossom. That is human nature. We all want the best for ourselves and our families. So we do everything we can to maximize our access to resources. That may include hoarding, deceiving, and even warfare.

Modern schools don't "brainwash" children into competition, society does. The media makes mountains of money by playing on the fears and insecurities we all have. Self-image, self esteem, materialism, all of it exists because we are fundamentally out for our own good (and the good of those we care for). Some people have evolved past that. Most have not. Self-centeredness is not trained, its expression is.

I wish more people could feel compassion for all living things. But part of that compassion should include the acceptance of those who don't have it.

And that is hard sometimes.

Rob

giriasis
12-17-2000, 12:08 PM
Self-centeredness and Selflessness are both human nature; ignorance and knowledge are both human nature; love and hate are both human nature.

Society is made up of individuals. Society is us. So if we don't like society, we change our selves.

For me I have found the best way to trasform myself is through the diligent and hard training of aikido. On one side I learn a martial art and self-defense and on the other I learn to be a better person.

In the end, it is a matter of learning what our faults are, accepting them, then transforming them. What I'm talking about is not so esoteric as it seems. I can be very practical in this approach. In aikido practice today, my fault is freezing up in the middle of koshinage while taking ukemi because the two foot fall totally freaks me out. In working with a senior stundent and in learning to relax, I discovered that I can take the fall, and that the fall is not so bad. This was a challenge I did and overcame today. I learned to trust someone today and in trusting someone else, I learned to trust my self.

And then I can take my training in aikido and transfer the lesson learned to my everyday life. Basically, in the face of fears or failing or losing someones trust, I relax and put my trust in them by having trust in myself. I do this in my studies in law school. I do this in dealing with family and friends. And as a result, I contribute back to society.

Anne Marie Giri

shadow
12-18-2000, 12:15 AM
thank you anne...that was the kind of response I was looking for.

I am thinking that maybe I am reaching a higher level or standard, that I am noticing these negative emotions in myself where nobody else does, and I am learning to change. I want to be compassionate to everyone, I want to harbour no anger, jealousy, envy, hatred, selfishness, arrogance, etc....and I want to live in harmony.

These things are within my grasp and I'm certain within everyone elses too.....aikido is helping me I think

:)

crystalwizard
12-18-2000, 05:07 AM
shadow wrote:
thank you anne...that was the kind of response I was looking for.

I am thinking that maybe I am reaching a higher level or standard, that I am noticing these negative emotions in myself where nobody else does, and I am learning to change. I want to be compassionate to everyone, I want to harbour no anger, jealousy, envy, hatred, selfishness, arrogance, etc....and I want to live in harmony.

These things are within my grasp and I'm certain within everyone elses too.....aikido is helping me I think

:)





I believe the term you are looking for is maturity.