PDA

View Full Version : Waza for Waza

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikidoka2000
12-12-2000, 11:28 AM
Hello folks!
There has been a lot of talk recently on these forums about Aikido not being
effective in a real defense situation. I have studied various martial arts over the
years, and have currently fallen in love with Aikido. My challenge to my sensei
recently has been to bring up various situations as they may occur on the street,
and ask how in Aikido one would counter it. So far, he has shown proof that all
of my suggestions can be countered using various Aikido waza.
My challenge to you kind people is, give me a scenario that Aikido would either
not be effective or could not withstand or counter.
-Aiki

akiy
12-12-2000, 12:52 PM
Hi Aikidoka2000,

Please be sure to sign your post with your real name as it is a Forum rule. Thanks.

-- Jun

torokun
12-12-2000, 01:14 PM
hmmm. ;) fun game, hehe...

How about this...

aikidoka stands right hand and foot forward.

attacker moves in very very low with his right hand on his forehead, elbow out, and his left hand close in to his body... he kicks to the shin with his forword foot while taking a big step in, then rams with the elbow, rakes down with both hands like claws, and strikes up toward the face again...

I'd like to see what some people suggest to handle this sort of attack...

chrisinbrasil
12-12-2000, 01:16 PM
How about putting on some light gloves with exposed finger and asking permission to try whatever comes to mind including takedowns, kicks, punches, what have you. I believe your Sensei would probably emerge the victor simply because I know Aikido works but it would sure give him a run for his money! hehehe. Get 1 or 2 guys that have taken kickboxing for at least three years to box him into a corner and try to pummel him. The look in his eyes should provide a kodak moment, but the look in yours will show how long he´s trained and how painful his techniques can be. :)
Good luck,

SeiWhat?!?
12-12-2000, 02:55 PM
No problem. Give him a gun, stand 2 or more feet away from the barrel, and try not to get killed.

Or try tanto-tori against someone who knows how to fight with a knife. We worked on it for half an hour and I got cut every time. I hate knives.

Good luck, and feel free to drop by Long Beach State if you're ever in the neighborhood :)

DiNalt
12-12-2000, 03:36 PM
Aikidoka2000 wrote:
Hello folks!
(snip)
My challenge to you kind people is, give me a scenario that Aikido would either
not be effective ...
(snip)

^^^^ See above.