PDA

View Full Version : Am I out of line?

Please visit our sponsor:

Uke4life
09-23-2003, 11:44 AM
I have a question that concerns the nature of teaching some things to a fellow Aikido student. In the class I study at, we only practice for about 1 hour and 15 mins per session, 3 times a week. A guy I'm in there with is just beginning(I have done it for about 2 and a half years) and is very excited about doing Aikido. He has asked to me to show him some things that we haven't gotten to in class yet. I am weary of doing this for 1) I do not want to show any disrespect to my instructor, and 2) I do not want to show him some advanced moves and he think he is Bruce Lee, and on top of that they not be taught right. Also, I do not consider myself to be anywhere near "Sensei" level. In fact I pride myself in the fact that I believe I am very humble and modest in most approaches in my life. Anyways, back on topic, what do you guys think of this?? Anything will help!! Train Safe!!! :ai: :ki: :do:

Chuck Clark
09-23-2003, 01:15 PM
Mr. Stemmer,

Yes.

Please ask me about this when you attend the seminar in Dallas soon.

Ari Bolden
09-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Dear Arno,

I am sure almost all the aikidoka on this site (and elsewhere) will tell you to "point him in the direction of the sensei."

You have answered your own questions really.

Perhaps just encourage him with " yes, there are several techniques and we eventually get to them. Sensei teaches us in a way...much like Lego...where each move (or piece) fits into another piece. We need those building blocks in order to stabilize the techniques."

Enjoy the moment and try to perfect the moves taught in each class (even if it is ikkyo for the 10 000 time...wink)..

my 2 cents

Ari Bolden

John Boswell
09-28-2003, 01:51 PM
I pride myself in the fact that I believe I am very humble and modest in most approaches in my life.
Anyone else find this statement rather ironic? ;)

As for your question, I'd talk to Clark Sensei. Wish I could attend one his seminar's!