PDA

View Full Version : adjusting training after injury

Please visit our sponsor:

Scott Will
05-19-2003, 01:30 PM
Hello,

Greetings. I am new to this forum, and am returning to Aikido after a decade away.

I want to begin training again, but I don't know how to find a dojo that is sensitive to specific adjustments I need to make due to injuries I've had, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm in New York, and I'm willing to try private and semi-private work.

I have trouble with shikko and seiza due to removal of most of my right miniscus, and problems with some rolls due to a lower back injury. The obvious thing to do would be to try another art that doesn't emphasize these things, but I'd rather see if I can find a way to work around my circumstances. I would just sit and roll a bit differently, and minimize knee-walking. My knee and back seem to be okay with standing work as long as I adhere to proper pivoting, so I'm not limited there.

The last thing I want to do is slow down or compromise a session, or the experience of my partners. Any thoughts? Recommendations? I thank you in advance for your feedback.

Mallory Wikoff
05-19-2003, 05:01 PM
The only thing i have to say is that knee walking i think you could work around, but i dont know about rolling. Dont loose hope though, because i'm not even black belt yet.

sanosuke
05-19-2003, 05:55 PM
I injured my ligament about 6 months ago, and until now I'm still a bit uncomfortable doing suwari-waza and shikko. what I can suggest you is that just do what you're able to do, if you are unable to do seiza and shikko then don't do it, otherwise it will make your injury worse. And I think it's okay if you roll a bit different since you are adjusting with your body's condition.

But at least try to wear a knee-protector, its quite helpful in my case.

Good luck in your training.

Scott Will
05-20-2003, 09:39 AM
Thank you for your encouragement. You've confirmed my thinking on this, and yes, the knee stabilization is very useful.

I imagine my next step is to talk to various local schools and find out how they would handle this.

Thanks again.

Larry Feldman
05-20-2003, 01:02 PM
Most schools should be pretty accomodating to your specific limitations. Try to find a school that doesn't insist on breakfalls.