PDA

View Full Version : Mixing

Please visit our sponsor:

Kiylan
04-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Wondering what techniques can be used when combined with Kendo, and/or Khali( Philipeno Stick and Knife fihting)

Don_Modesto
04-07-2003, 04:50 PM
Wondering what techniques can be used when combined with Kendo, and/or Khali( Philipeno Stick and Knife fihting)
What have you come up with so far?

Kevin Leavitt
04-07-2003, 07:33 PM
I used to study with a sensei that combined kali and escrima. All the basic principles apply. It is the tactics that change...timing, distance, speed etc..

Kiylan
04-14-2003, 03:50 PM
Really I've only just begun learning in both Aikido and Khali, but many of the Khali disarming methods are enhanced by the wrist and arm grabs used in Aikido. Plus the movements ingrained into you in Aikido make moving out of the way allot easier- especially considering the fast pace of Khali.

Bronson
04-15-2003, 12:03 AM
Where's Lynn when you need him ;)

Bronson

Octavio
04-15-2003, 12:35 AM
Kali and Aikido compliment each other very well. Movements are very similar and in my specific experience knowing how to move in AIkido has enhanced my ability to learn Kali. The only difference that occurs between these two arts is the focus on a specific type of movement. Kali is prodimently driven by linear zoning (ie male and female triangle) and hand quickness. Aikido focuses on body quickness and redirection. They both stress the importance of maiai and timing. These two martial are very versatile and blend well together. I've been studying with Dan Inosanto in Kali for the past 6 months and it has given me a new perspective in my Aikido training which I have practiced in for 8 years.

aikidoc
04-15-2003, 08:14 AM
Having studied kali while also studying aikido, I found aikido to enhance some of the kali techniques and kali enhanced the aikido angles and especially knife disarming.

George S. Ledyard
04-15-2003, 09:17 AM
Absolutely the best place to see how Aikido and Kali / Escrime can come together is in Doce Pares Eskrido. The senior American practitioner is a man named Chris Petrilli. The style uses the standard stick fighting striking methods which would be familiar to any Phillipine martial artist but once you get to close range the style is amazing. These guys can lock you up more way tham you can count usng their sticks. They throw. joint lock, choke, etc all at close range working off the striking patterns. Chris, who trained for years in the Phillipines with his teacher Grandmaster Canete has systematized things (rather like Saito Sensei did). He has put the moves in to a huge flow drill. Last I trained with him the flow was 700 moves and growing. You just wouldn't believe what these guys can do with a stick. It's definitely a combat oriented version of Aikido though. The nagles and locks they use are precisely the ones we avoid in normal Aikido as they tear you up. So they have to "pull it" when they execute the techniques. I leanred a lot in my brief time training with them.

Bronson
04-15-2003, 11:09 AM
Doce Pares Eskrido. The senior American practitioner is a man named Chris Petrilli

You wouldn't happen to know how to contact them would you? Could you tell us? :p

Bronson

W^2
04-15-2003, 11:27 AM
I've been studying Kali - in conjunction with Muay Thai and JKD (Jun Fan/Wing Chun) - for the last 6 months and I find them very symbiotic.

The first thing I noticed about Kali is the attack angles, which are the same regardless of weapon(s); they are exactly the same as the Happo No Kuzushi or eight directions of off balancing. For those who are unfamiliar with the concept, imagine yourself or your partner in the center of a circle and divide it into eight equal parts (45') - that is Happo No Kuzushi. It is vertical as well as horizontal, and the two combined with movement produce spirals - voila! That should sound familiar...Nage wants to stay centered and keep Uke off-balanced.

As stated above, the attack angles in Kali are identical, and I might add very practical (which is something to consider in the Aikido Attacks thread). Consequently, I find Kali to be great for practicing Aikido responses to realistic weapons attacks - it's a great deal of fun! I usually do this while practicing the Sumbrada - a ten-count flow drill that explores the various disarms, counterattacks, etc., with a partner. This also expands in and out of ranges, as we practice it...

Sensei Ledyard, shall we dance? The next time I'm in Bellevue I mean...

Cheers,

Ward

BTW have you seen Tim Lyons lately? Just curious...