PDA

View Full Version : Regular web board participants

Please visit our sponsor:

Hanna B
03-02-2003, 07:12 AM
Most aikido people choose not to spend their time om web boards such as this one. We who do, are a minority.

Why do we? How are we different from the rest of the aikido people out there? Do we have something in common that the others don't?

rachmass
03-02-2003, 07:23 AM
Quite honestly Hannah, the major reason I do is that I work from home, and when I have something printing up, my time is free and I play around on the site. I do find it very useful though, having asked for help on numerous subjects, and having received a lot of thoughtful response. In particular the thread that I started on getting a dojo up and running has been tremendously helpful.

Last week there was a thread on why we use the forums, you can find it at:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3443

Hanna B
03-02-2003, 07:38 AM
Thank you Rachel, I actually had that thread in mind when I started this one. The two questions are slightly differently angled, I think.

rachmass
03-02-2003, 07:45 AM
Okay Hannah, I read it more carefully this time...

...I think we are computer geeks!

Paula Lydon
03-02-2003, 08:04 AM
~~Hi Hanna! I participate here because it seemed a receptive medium for sharing ideas, getting feedback and advice in areas where I'm struggling and 'meeting' Aikidoka from around the world. I also don't mind my thoughts, concepts, perceptions, etc. being challanged, as do many folks who keep their heads down in their own little dojo. Got nothing against them but that's not my choice. I like far horizons and this lets me feel that I'm part of a world dojo :)

MikeE
03-02-2003, 08:39 AM
I work from home. And this is the only board that interests me enough to participate in. (Once in a while I'll post at Aikido Journal...but, not very often)

rachmass
03-02-2003, 08:58 AM
I wonder what the percentage of regular posters are who work from home? Seems we have a bit more flexibilty to spend our time surfing than those stuck in a cubicle. Any thoughts anyone else?

Erik Young
03-02-2003, 01:34 PM
I don't work from home, but I do multi-task a lot. I'm also a chronic procrastinator (never do today what you can put off until tomorrow!).

Anyway, I tend to work in short, intesnse bursts with frequent breaks in between sessions. So, I will frequent this and other forums pertaining to my other interests. It passes the time and keeps me sane.

As to are we a minority? I dunno. Perhaps, however, I try to use all the resources at my disposal to train...this forum is one of them. FWIW.

PEace,

Erik

erikmenzel
03-02-2003, 02:07 PM
Most aikido people choose not to spend their time om web boards such as this one. We who do, are a minority.

Why do we? How are we different from the rest of the aikido people out there? Do we have something in common that the others don't?
Because we are nerds?????????

:D :D :freaky: :grr: :D :cool:

ikkainogakusei
03-02-2003, 03:00 PM

Hi Hanna :)

I do it because I get a little fried from research/study and it's an easy distraction since I'm already at the computer.

I choose aikido, instead of any other web discussion board, probably because I am amongst very self-involved youngin's who are interested in beer, fashion, and drama (not theatre, but rather the real-life stuff). Ahh, to be a decade older than most other students. So all of these things seem to cause me to yearn for a more aiki-discussion.

bob_stra
03-02-2003, 03:19 PM
Strange working hours + uni + insomnia = Aikiweb.

DGLinden
03-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Quite the opposite, I post from work - otherwise I would be working. Although I will deny it if asked.

Bogeyman
03-02-2003, 06:00 PM
Because I know little and as a whoole we come up with things that no one person would.

E

Lan Powers
03-02-2003, 10:23 PM
perhaps others have found themselves in the same position?........namely finding yourself out in the "boonies" as it were, with only a few others from your dojo to connect with.

Class not meeting tonight? log on, and at least get a bit of info/feedback/ as well as a chance to *Wallow*? (Is that too weird sounding?) in the art that I have searched for, for too many years to mention. Damn bucolic rural life! :rolleyes:

Since this is still relatively new for me..(six monthes, testing for 5'th kyu in April I think!) since this is still so new, the freshness of the art is cool to touch via the net.

:D

Also an ongoing learning process with the computer makes the two interests "coincide".

Ta Kung
03-03-2003, 02:59 AM
I also post from work, mostly. Keeps me from sitting in front of that damn computer in my office all day... hey wait! No it doesn't! :eek: :)

Jim ashby
03-03-2003, 04:29 AM
As an English participant it's nice to see what the rest of the world does in the practice of Aikido. It's also very useful for me to see that Aikido is worldwide. BTW there are some people from my own Dojo who just lurk (are you there Bob?).

Mostly I post from work, it's a much faster connection.

Have fun.

Greg Jennings
03-03-2003, 08:33 AM
I'm one of the folks out in the aikido boonies. I've never been here to chat. This isn't like a virtual aikido pub for me.

I've always browsed this site and others to fill my craving for information about aikido.

I guess I'm lucky that the art I stumbled into is aikido which through this site and others is so well represented on the web.

That said, it took a while to learn to separate the good sources of information from the not-so-good. Thank goodness for Stan Pranin, Peter Goldsbury, et. al.

YMMV,

Ray Kissane
03-03-2003, 09:20 AM
I think one of the big benefits is that I can get a feel for what others are doing in different styles of Aikido. I also like the technical discussion because it allows me to touch on sources who are not in my dojo or oraganization.

SeiserL
03-03-2003, 01:47 PM
Isolation at times and the the desire for conversation about Aikido. Outside the Dojo, I have very few people to talk to about my passion. Have learn a lot here. Hopefully others have learned a little something from me. Its a great place to practice mental and verbal Aikido.

Until again,

Lynn

John Boswell
03-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Hey Lan!

You BETTER test in April! Your "stature" as an Uke makes my technique look good!! ;) And I'll be testing too!

Right Sensei??

:::looks around to see if Sensei is here.

I know I post here because my line of work is always running hot or cold. So when I have free time, I like to research and get feedback on things that interest me. Jun's website is perfect for that!

THANKS AGAIN, JUN !

JJF
03-04-2003, 02:37 AM
I do it because I LOVE to talk about aikido - I'm very verbal.... and because I'm too weak to stay away even though I should be spending more time on work and less on the board.

one4k4
03-04-2003, 08:58 AM
We're AikiHackers. I agree with Erik Young, I multitask quite often as well. Right now, I've got a telnet session open, this window, another window looking at a report, lunch in front of me (mm, chicken), an AIM window blinking away.. no wonder my eyes get tired by 2pm. ;)

Kelly Allen
03-04-2003, 09:54 AM
I'm at work as well. Well not now but usually I post from work. I work a night shift and some times it gets very slow so I pass the time talking and learning about my favorite topic.

Since I've been here I find this type of communication is a good tool for anylizing how I interact with people. was my ego entering into the conversation? Was the other persons? How should I deal with it so it dosn't escalate into more hurt feelings in the future?

These are all questions I find I'm asking myself. What I learn about myself here spills into all my relation ships. I think for the better.

Alfonso
03-04-2003, 10:04 AM
similar reasons, easy access to internet, intense compulsion to think about aikido all day (and night). I'd worry about the obsession, but it seems pretty benging, as this forum allows some relief to the need to think more actively about it.

plus I don't mind making a fool of myself too much, compared to some of my friends who lurk and exercise better restraint on their gabbiness.

xaj
03-06-2003, 05:47 AM
im here! but i dont really like the board system, so i dont post much lol.

happysod
03-06-2003, 06:47 AM
Hannah, you're a very cruel person, I've only just managed to resist this one for a while but Justin managed to bring it back...

I feel I should start by answering this with standard aikiweb tactics, requiring a definition of "regular participant" followed by a slightly superior reference to previous threads relating to this topic and finishing with a segue into a pet peeve (with optional insult).

Instead I'll be honest, I'm a bit of a git and the board gives me more people to play with on a topic I enjoy. Like most who responded, computer + nice fast link (at last)+ attempt to not do work = aikiweb.

Q.Are we different? Don't think so, maybe just more enamoured of debate.

Q. Do we have something in common? I would never dream of insulting anyone by insinuating other respondees have anything in common with me...

jk
03-07-2003, 02:34 AM
I feel I should start by answering this with standard aikiweb tactics, requiring a definition of "regular participant" followed by a slightly superior reference to previous threads relating to this topic and finishing with a segue into a pet peeve (with optional insult).
LOL... Hey, Jun runs a nice establishment, but the waiters here can be a bit surly.

I visit Aikiweb because I'm out here in the sticks with regards to Japanese budo...

Regards,

Bob Dhammi
03-13-2003, 12:10 PM
No Jim. I stopped lurking after i spooked you last time.

siwilson
03-13-2003, 01:19 PM
:) Hmmm!

Well, I used to frequent rec.martial-arts a few years back, but when I came to work in Germany I did not sign up for a web account with any ISP, as they all required you to install "their" software! No thanks! So I access through a public access. pay as you surf, ISDN connection, so no newsgroups (web based is too slow). Then the AikiWeb bulletin boards started, so I looked for a while and then started posting again.

I can fit in to the geek lable too. I am a comms and LAN/WAN Engineer, & run a website, so I am on the computer alot.

Also, there are some nice topics and interesting perspectives here.

I am here because I enjoy it.

So, to echo an earlier comment - thanks Jun!

BTW, when is the Aiki Gallery coming back?

All the best.

Ron Tisdale
03-13-2003, 02:27 PM
Hey Si,

rec.farsical-arts is still about the same. Here, aikidojournal and ebudo are better bets. Good to hear from you again. How's the beer?

RT

cindy perkins
03-23-2003, 06:09 PM
Alfonso speaks for me -- obsessive about aikido, and only one night a week to train here in the woods.

Also, I find good conversation about peace here. Most posters are thoughtful, self-reflective, and trying to become better aikidoka and better people. Feels like a great community to hang with!

WilliamWessel
03-24-2003, 12:13 AM
I'm first and formost a computer/gaming geek so I'm just around the net alot so it was just natural to find a message board for me.

siwilson
03-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Hi Ron,

:p Yes there were some "interesting" topics on RMA. Do you remember Bradley? He was the one who thought MAs evil because they were against Christianity!!??? :rolleyes:

The beer here is OK, but I prefer the Polish beer! My wife is Polish and there are quite a lot of Polish shops around Germany. Very good stuff!

We will be back in England in a couple of months. The MoD want me to go to Andover, and funnily enough, I want to go to Andover too! Sadly this has caused the closure of the Guetersloh dojo, but Sadam did the real damage, as all my students have gone to other places.

Good to hear from you, and maybe we will meet one day.

All the best

Ron Tisdale
03-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Hey Si,

You never know what people will make out of what you give them...the positive effects can be unseen but long lasting. I doubt that your efforts there will go unrewarded.

Stay Well,

Ron (Osu)

Lyle Bogin
03-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Mostly I post to see if I sound ridiculous to myself. :)

siwilson
03-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Thanks Ron

I hope I have given them something that they will keep with them. The guys who are still here I have directed to an Aikikai dojo in the next town, which I went and trained at (checked out). They found it frustrating at first because of the softer style, but they enjoy it.

I worry about the guys who are in the gulf, also because some have gone from UK duties (Op Fresco) and I don't know who, plus a few past students who had been moved away previously who I don't have so much contact with. Plus there are some in the Balkans. I can only hope they are all OK.

All the best to you. Keep well too.

Si